The gospel and misogyny

Rabelais

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
This dominionist view is frightening in its overt misogyny, psychopathic logic and promotion of a more violent Christian viewpoint. Mr Murrow will be speaking in Tulsa (the buckle of the bible belt). Probably be an SRO crowd there.

By BILL SHERMAN World Religion Writer
Published: 8/20/2011 2:22 AM
Last Modified: 8/20/2011 6:03 AM

Men think church is for women, weirdos and wimps, says David Murrow, author of the best-selling book, "Why Men Hate Going to Church," and speaker at a national Iron Sharpens Iron men's conference next week in Broken Arrow.

Men are dropping out of church, turned off by a feminization of Christian worship and an overemphasis on relationships, said Murrow, an Alaskan who was Gov. Sarah Palin's director of communications.

"We tend to de-emphasize the harsh aspects of Gospel and emphasize the gentle," he said.

"When we make (the Gospel) softer, we lose young men. When we neuter Jesus, it doesn't resonate with the hearts of young men. And if you don't get men in their 20s, you're not going to get them."

Symptoms of a feminized Gospel are many, he said:

* Worship songs that are romantic - love songs to Jesus - instead of "Onward Christian Soldiers."

* Victorian parlor decor that looks like a female place.

* An emphasis on relationships, instead of biblical orthodoxy, life and death, heaven and hell.

* Sermons that focus on the positive, "Come to me all who laden and are heavy laden and I will give you rest," and leave unpreached hard words from the same chapter: "It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for you."

"You can't feed a man comfort 365 days a year and expect him to be engaged. They want a challenge, adventure," Murrow said.

Mainline denominational churches, where a legacy of feminism has led to more women in leadership, have fared the worst and have lost the most men, he said.

Nondenominational churches, particularly the mega-churches, have suffered the least gender gap.

"They took out the doilies 20 years ago," he said. Their worship centers often resemble theaters or rock concert halls.

What is his solution?

"Do what Christ did and attract men. He didn't go out and find six men and six women and start a children's ministry. He went out and found 12 men.

"If you read the Gospels, you'll see how masculine they are. ... We've got to figure out how to reincorporate some rigor back in the church.

"When our message is come and die with Christ, I think we're going to see more men involved. The churches that preach a tough Gospel have had tremendous success reaching young men because they don't sugarcoat things."

Murrow said women may now be joining the male exodus from the church.

The latest statistical data suggest that women are now rejecting Christianity almost as much as men, he said.

Why is that?

"I theorize that as women storm the formerly male-dominated world of business and sports and higher education, they are becoming more comfortable with the masculine values they encounter there.

"So when they go back to a ribbons and doilies church, where the message is all comfort and neatness and gentleness and sweetness and light, they're not as inclined toward those things as their mothers and grandmothers were. They're looking for a Gospel with a bit more of an edge. That may cause some congregations to rethink the way they present the Gospel, the way they decorate, the way they minister to youth.

"If women leave church, we're in deep trouble. They've been the backbone of American Christianity for the last 100 years."

Read more from this Tulsa World article at _http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=18&articleid=20110820_18_A13_CUTLIN370792

hjackson said:
I used to go for Pizza but then everyone went off to college.

hjackson, I'm not sure what that even has to do with the article posted above. Please note what was asked of you here.

[quote author=article]
What is his solution?

"Do what Christ did and attract men. He didn't go out and find six men and six women and start a children's ministry. He went out and found 12 men.

"If you read the Gospels, you'll see how masculine they are. ... We've got to figure out how to reincorporate some rigor back in the church.[/quote]

I wonder if this article could have been an excerpt from a personal ad: "Non-sentient talking head seeking same."

rigor: Severity or strictness, harsh inflexibility in opinion, temper, or judgment; the quality of being unyielding or inflexible.

Combine with mortis and you have the Latin meaning: "stiffness of death".

No thanks.

"If women leave church, we're in deep trouble. They've been the backbone of American Christianity for the last 100 years."

If this is true, then why the push to make it fascist? I left organized Christianity because it was one lie piled on top of another, not for any perceived 'dogma deficit'. Geez...

Within the mormons, women are held in very high regard. I can say in the role of a mother goddess. But, women cannot hold higher positions within the church ruling hierarchy (edit: authority is a man thing). I used to say on the pulpit that the man god does has a wife. He knew we here on this BBM are going to blaspheme and curse his name. "He" loves his wife so very much, does not want her to experience his pain, so he never mentions his wife to we mortals. You could say that "he" hides her from us, shelters her from the painful "things" that he experiences because of our blasphemous attitudes and actions.
fwiw

Back
Top Bottom