The foolish plunge...

Novelis

Jedi Master
Have you ever known you were about to make a terrible mistake, but did it anyway?

I am going to Taiwan in 6 weeks.
Weighing up some Pros and Cons, it might become clearer whether it’s a foolish decision or not:

Con:
There is NOTHING there that will help me awaken; I have no friends there who are involved with the work, I predict there will only be mechanical reactions that will fly unrestricted, unanalysed.

Con:
There are so many traps, and so many wondrous dreams to fall into.
With no personal guidance, and armed only with what I’ve learned so far… I am a sitting duck.

Con:
There will be no job security there, whereas right now I can keep up with SOTT and have a relatively comfortable job.

Con:
I have friends HERE who are involved with the work. So I will miss potential lessons to be learned, and I’ll especially regret not learning more from them. I will be thousands of miles away, and (Con) who knows how long we’ve got until the lights go out completely.

Pro… (Pretty unrealistic it will materialise though):
I’m going there to learn Chinese, in the vain hope that I could translate/interpret some of the material on these websites into Chinese, since there is no one else in sight that is filling the gap (Correct me if I'm wrong, PLEASE DO!).

Well, after weighing the scales, it’s pretty obvious that all odds are stacked up against success on any level… Yet I have to go (The tickets are not refundable for one), even though I don’t dare say there are ANY sensible reasons for going.

On another note, this forum/website(s) will become especially important there as a guide in the total darkness, I must remember its value and remain involved.

Maybe this will toughen me up, maybe it’s all part of the lesson plan…
But, from whichever way of slicing this, it looks foolish.

I know this is just noise that doesn’t add anything to the forum, but these are just a few troubling thoughts that I had to get out there… thanks for reading.

You never really said why you're going to Taiwan. Did you find a job there? Or you just have an urge to suddenly go to Taiwan?

Hi,

I understand your feelings. I've just left for Slovakia and I knew from the start that this was not necessaraly the best decision. Maybe it was just running away.
My wife had a job offer there and the terms were good.
So we left.

I take it as an opportunity to do things I didn't do, like being on active on SOTT.
It is also a lesson.

If you are from Madagascar maybe you speak French. Do you know this Verlaine verse:
"Pars si tu le dois, reste si tu le peux" (leave if you must, stay if you can)

Ludovic

Maybe I'm confusing something, if so, please let me know. I'm not really expressing my "feelings" as much as I'm just confused about what your initial reason for going to Taiwan was. Not the cons or pros - just what the reason is. Is it because you wanted to learn Chinese and Taiwan seems like a good place to do that? Is there any other reason, or is that it?

I'm also not sure I understand where Slovakia fits in. Did you just move to Slovakia, and now you're moving again, this time to Taiwan?

Edit: Ignore the above please, I thought judvic was novelis replying to my post. Sorry

ScioAgapeOmnis said:
I'm also not sure I understand where Slovakia fits in. Did you just move to Slovakia, and now you're moving again, this time to Taiwan?
Maybe you confused me with Novelis.
I was actually answering Novelis who was asking "Have you everknown you were going to make a mistake, but did it anyway".

Ludovic

Hi Novelis,

Just a few thoughts that came to mind:

Novelis said:
Con:
There is NOTHING there that will help me awaken; I have no friends there who are involved with the work, I predict there will only be mechanical reactions that will fly unrestricted, unanalysed.
I think that many people involved with the Work don't have friends around that are also in it. I know I don't, but with the support of the people in the groups here it seems to me that it is still possible to continue working towards awakening.

The C's have said, not sure of the exact quote but something to the effect of it doesn't matter where you are, but what you know that is important.

I spent a lot of years living in foreign countries myself, and I can say from experience that it did provide a lot of little shocks, simply because of having to adjust and see things in new ways, so it may be that there will be things that there that can help you to awaken.

Novelis said:
Have you ever known you were about to make a terrible mistake, but did it anyway?
Fwiw, sounds like you're rationalizing your trip by the fact that you spent money on the ticket. I don't know what your initial reason for wanting to go to Taiwan is, but I don't think the ticket money should even be a factor in that decision. If it was a vacation, maybe then non-refundable ticket money should be considered, but you appear to be talking about moving to live there. Sounds like part of you is just looking for an excuse to go, and trying to rationalize it.

Novelis said:
There is NOTHING there that will help me awaken
How do you know that?

Novelis said:
There are so many traps, and so many wondrous dreams to fall into.
Do you have wondrous dreams? Is that what is making you go to Taiwan? If so, is it something you could share? Dreams don't have to be something we "fall into", they could be something we "rise to achieve" if they are a realistic goal, but if they are wishful thinking, then there's a problem.

Novelis said:
With no personal guidance, and armed only with what I’ve learned so far… I am a sitting duck.
Would that not also apply to anywhere? It's hard to find reliable personal guidance, but you always have this network.

Novelis said:
There will be no job security there, whereas right now I can keep up with SOTT and have a relatively comfortable job.
Do you have any job there? Or will you begin looking only after you move?

Novelis said:
I’m going there to learn Chinese, in the vain hope that I could translate/interpret some of the material on these websites into Chinese, since there is no one else in sight that is filling the gap (Correct me if I'm wrong, PLEASE DO!).
That's a lofty goal - to learn a language well enough to translate pretty complicated and involved writings into it. Might take you a few years. But this surely cannot be your only motivation for going? It would be much easier to find someone who already knows the language to help translate, osit.

Novelis said:
Well, after weighing the scales, it’s pretty obvious that all odds are stacked up against success on any level…
It's never easy in a new country for anyone. But success is upto you. You seem like you are ok where you are now though, based on what you said. So are you leaving because something is wrong here? If not, why are you leaving? Not to say that you should only move when something is wrong, but I'm wondering what your personal reason is.

Novelis said:
Yet I have to go (The tickets are not refundable for one), even though I don’t dare say there are ANY sensible reasons for going.
Again, if that's all you have, I'd say that's a horrible justification. You said you have a comfortable job, are you going to go bankrupt because of the ticket money you spent? Taiwan or bust?

Novelis said:
Maybe this will toughen me up, maybe it’s all part of the lesson plan…
Well the C's said that all experiences have potential for benefit, but also potential for detriment. If you feel like you need that experience, then go for it. If your only reason to go is ticket money, however, I'd say that makes no sense to me. Do you have any gut feelings about it? Assuming you don't confuse intuition and wishful thinking.

Novelis said:
Pro… (Pretty unrealistic it will materialise though):
I’m going there to learn Chinese, in the vain hope that I could translate/interpret some of the material on these websites into Chinese, since there is no one else in sight that is filling the gap
Couldn’t you learn Chinese where you live now Novelis, or is that out of the question?
It just seems like a big step you’re about to take, and giving up a lot, although it sure sounds like a good reason that you’ve given.

Novelis said:
Yep, one or two. One instance comes to mind which was triggered by reading your worry about loosing your plane ticket money. I wanted another car as I was fed up paying out for repairs to my 10 year old car that I’d only had about 3 years. When the brakes became almost useless yet again I was desperate to trade it in for a newer car. I’d noticed for a while a particular car for sale in a long established local garage and went along and agreed a deal, paying £100 cash deposit.
After that, little telltale signs started to happen that set my instincts off. For the balance, the dealer said he didn’t accept credit card or checks because his old man who owned the garage had never trusted them. It had to be cash or a banker’s draft (which can’t be stopped after you’ve paid and driven away.) I pointed out that it needed road taxing. The method I was used to when buying another car was to get my insurance changed to the new car, give the garage the insurance certificate, and the garage got it taxed ready for me to pick the car up on the appointed day, when I would pay the balance and road tax, then drive away.
Nope. He wanted the bankers draft before he would give me the paperwork so that I could go and get the road tax disc and then come and pick up the car.

I must say that my instinct was screaming at me throughout the process that I was making a BIG mistake, but the thought that I might loose the deposit or fight a big battle for it’s return when I had no concrete evidence for backing out dulled my thinking center into thinking it was easier to go through with the deal.

It was alright until a couple of weeks after the one months warranty had run out, then the problems started. Sometimes loosing power going up hills to the point of a crawl, intermittent juddering and spluttering, Clanking noises from the engine. Recapitulating, it would have been cheaper and better to have listened to the little alarm bells and walked away even if I’d lost the deposit. Lesson learned, I hope.

Novelis said:
(...)
Con:
(...)
Just a thought: do you know or practice Taï Chi Chuan and Qi Gong ?... It could be a mean to know yourself more, in depth; there are some true Taï Chi Chuan and Qi Gong masters in Taïwan.

Novelis said:
Yes !... :)

ScioAgapeOmnis said:
You never really said why you're going to Taiwan. Did you find a job there? Or you just have an urge to suddenly go to Taiwan?
Yes, I'm curious too, why Taiwan? Why not Bangladesh, Japan or the Netherlands?

Perhaps the 'real' reason you want to go off and do something 'ill advised' is because you feel too 'comfortable' where you are now, doing what you are doing? A change can be as good as a holiday, but finding the real reason for wanting a change can sometimes be quite difficult and occasionally needs to be done intuitively.

Hi Novelis,

It's rather interesting that you bring this subject up here after you've already made the decision to go. If you're looking for someone to say, "oh, no, it's a great idea, don't worry at all..." - then you've most probably come to the wrong place - at the wrong time.

I also think it's important to point out that it's not really about 'people or things there to help you awaken' - it's about you. No matter where you are or what you are doing - it is about you. There is no escaping you, no matter how far you travel.

Judvic said:
If you are from Madagascar maybe you speak French. Do you know this Verlaine verse: "Pars si tu le dois, reste si tu le peux" (leave if you must, stay if you can)
No… I don’t come from Madagascar; Aye-eyes (Avatar) come from there... But thanks!

I’m speaking from the UK, but my Mother is French so I should know some… Sadly, not a lot, my Mum didn’t teach me much French as I was growing up, she had it hard enough just trying to teach me English.

Manitoban said:
I think that many people involved with the Work don't have friends around that are also in it. I know I don't, but with the support of the people in the groups here it seems to me that it is still possible to continue working towards awakening.

The C's have said, not sure of the exact quote but something to the effect of it doesn't matter where you are, but what you know that is important.
That is true; I didn’t need to be overly pessimistic.
However, I was contrasting the state of having friends available here who ARE involved with the work and having NO friends there. Surely it would be more sensible to stick with people who understand the value, and the proper methodology of networking right?

Scio said:
Do you have wondrous dreams? Is that what is making you go to Taiwan? If so, is it something you could share? Dreams don't have to be something we "fall into", they could be something we "rise to achieve" if they are a realistic goal, but if they are wishful thinking, then there's a problem.
Well yes, good point, I do have wondrous dreams (goals) for going… But, that wasn’t what I was referring to by stating that there are many “dreams to fall into”.

I was talking about fantasies and false work disguised as real work, which are real dangers lurking that, if I’m not careful, I could easily “fall into” because I’ll be surrounded by “new and wonderful things” that are unfamiliar and thus quite alluring.

Scio said:
I’ve been planning to go back and regain full fluency in Chinese for about 5 years now, I just didn’t have the courage, money, qualifications and a plan I was happy with up until now.

Scio said:
Do you have any job there? Or will you begin looking only after you move?
Judvic said:
My wife had a job offer there and the terms were good.
Regarding the job issue, the facts stand as follows:

1.I don’t have a degree, so finding a job there is a bit dubious to say the least. I have a Cambridge accredited certificate in teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL) and an adequate understanding of the English language to teach it (After all, that’s what the TEFL is supposed to prove), but, alas, it’s not a degree.

2. This TEFL certificate is meant to be recognised world wide as what an English teacher needs to teach, but places like Taiwan are stricter than most countries, and they demand a degree. While in places like China, (OSIT) just having this certificate should do it (In some places, having a foreign face is enough!). So, that said, I may feel inclined to travel elsewhere if Taiwan doesn’t work out.

3. I think I’ll be able to teach English privately, or maybe other opportunities will arise, I can’t know until I am there basically. But, I do know that there is a huge demand for learning English there, so I’ll find a way I reckon.

Scio said:
I'm not really expressing my "feelings" as much as I'm just confused about what your initial reason for going to Taiwan was. Not the cons or pros - just what the reason is. Is it because you wanted to learn Chinese and Taiwan seems like a good place to do that? Is there any other reason, or is that it?
Ruth said:
Yes, I'm curious too, why Taiwan? Why not Bangladesh, Japan or the Netherlands?
Indeed... Depending on what happens, it may happen.

The reason why I am going is further down, but I chose Taiwan in particular to learn Chinese because:

1. China uses the simplified form of Chinese, which is, quite frankly, like the equivalent of the mobile phone texting language commonly used when compared to traditional Chinese, with much of the etymological roots lost forever.

2. Taiwan allows me access to SOTT(For now), but not in China.

3. The political hot bed that is Taiwan is fascinating, worth studying IMO.

Novelis said:
I’m going there to learn Chinese, in the vain hope that I could translate/interpret some of the material on these websites into Chinese, since there is no one else in sight that is filling the gap.
Scio said:
That's a lofty goal - to learn a language well enough to translate pretty complicated and involved writings into it. Might take you a few years. But this surely cannot be your only motivation for going? It would be much easier to find someone who already knows the language to help translate, osit.
The goal may not be as lofty as you might think.
Firstly, I lived in Taiwan for 9 years; in fact, Mandarin is practically my mother tongue. About 5 years ago, I moved to Leeds, where I heard Chinese spoken around me quite often. This distressed me a lot because I realised how much Chinese I had forgotten. I don’t expect many people to understand how that feels, to lose the language you grew up with, but I had to get it back, it’s an imperative for me, so I’ve been relearning it ever since.
Secondly, my Taiwanese girlfriend is living there now, and she promised to help me. Her current job requires her to translate quite a lot, so with a lot of dedication, there is a chance we could make a difference.

Peam said:
Couldn’t you learn Chinese where you live now Novelis, or is that out of the question?
Sure! I have been doing, but ever so slowly… Total emersion is not only the fastest way; it’s also the most efficient and detailed way of learning a language. I suppose speed takes precedent because I don’t think there is a lot of time left for us all.

Scio said:
I'm just confused about what your initial reason for going to Taiwan was.
Ok, in my opinion, who we are now has a lot to do with the language we used in our formative years, a vital time when the building blocks of the personality are formed, solidified, and often impossible to undo.

Language contains within the essence of culture, history, psychology... etcetera. Learning Chinese again has been like remembering how to express myself in familiar ways that were forgotten once English took over as the predominant language used to “think”.

Remembering that lost expression/art is not only an immense joy, it’s necessary (IMO) for working out who I am, why I use the words I use, what words actually mean to me, and how to be a better communicator.

That’s the (all too) lofty dream, to learn what I can about the literature, culture and history, not through the blurry lens of interpretation/translation, but to see for myself what I can from a more neutral perspective.

Grok said:
do you know or practice Taï Chi Chuan and Qi Gong ?... It could be a mean to know yourself more, in depth; there are some true Taï Chi Chuan and Qi Gong masters in Taïwan.
Yes I do, I’m quite into it.
Lots of martial artists escaped to Taiwan during the revolution, so you might be right. You see people up at 5:00am doing their daily Qi Gong practice, even the very old and frail make an effort! it’s certainly healthier than popping various pills and ignoring the problem like a lot do in the west.

Plus, studying the literature behind Qi gong and martial arts is one of my hobbies. What does Tai Chi mean? What’s Qi? Etymologically, historically, culturally and linguistically, the objective answer lies in the language. OSIT.

Anart said:
It's rather interesting that you bring this subject up here after you've already made the decision to go. If you're looking for someone to say, "oh, no, it's a great idea, don't worry at all..." - then you've most probably come to the wrong place - at the wrong time.
Yes, you are absolutely right, as I said in my first post; I know this is not really adding anything to the forum... About seeking emotional support, yes, in a way, I am. But not in the way you are referring.

I posted because I couldn't find any real/valid/relevant advice anywhere else, and wanted to “put it out there”, not because I was expecting a kiss on my boo-boo to make everything alright...

Although that would be nice (holds arms out waiting for a hug).

Ahem, no, although I’ve wanted to go for a while, the hope of translating articles from SOTT gives me a real and challenging goal to work towards that might actually make a difference, and that in itself was the kick in the backside that made the plunge.

Anart said:
I also think it's important to point out that it's not really about 'people or things there to help you awaken' - it's about you. No matter where you are or what you are doing - it is about you. There is no escaping you, no matter how far you travel.
Thank you, I will remember this on my travels.

What I received was exactly what I needed to screw my head on tight, thanks everybody, I wasn’t expecting all that!

Back
Top Bottom