The Flying Train (1902)

loreta

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
This is a clip filmed in 1902 about a train that goes in the air. It is really astounding by the beauty of the image, the clarity.

You have 2 clips: one is the original, and the other is after being colored.

Enjoy this voyage in the past with an extraordinary camera.

Thanks for sharing this. It's really impressive and beautiful. It is the "suspension railway" in the German city of Wuppertal. It is unique and, as far as I know, actually the only one in Germany. The videos were already in the thread 4K, 60 fps color videos. Recorded 100 years ago.
Thanks for the tip about the thread I was not aware of it. I really enjoy to see these films, really, really. It is a sort of meditation, they calm me a lot. Plus, it is a way to give voice to a past that is still there no matter what. Very strange to look at people in their daily routine, their lifes, walking and going to their business while many will die during the Great War, specially young people that in the film are playing and making faces and laughing but history will take them out of here. These films are treasures, really.

About the film about the flying train I try to understand how in 1902 a camera can film so well and without movements. Surely the train had to move, to have movements without counting the mechanical noise that it had to make? or maybe not? Or maybe the camera was so perfect? I do not know. I am astounded of the beauty of the film.

I can't say that much about the technical details, of course, but it seems like they simply attached the camera to the front of the train. Since it is not a normal train on rails and it simply glides along, there are few disruptive movements.

I also find these films very moving. I think the subsequent coloring makes them appear more realistic to us. So we can actually take a look into the past and take a little journey through time. I often wonder how many of the people are incarnated right now and are experiencing a repetition. However, I am very grateful for this type of testimony. 💞

Back
Top Bottom