The fire dream ... the dance unending

highmystica

Jedi Master
This is one of the longest dreams I have ever had, and one of the most powerfull. I went to bed one night not particularly tired and slept for about twelve hours, most of that time was spent dreaming.

Backgound: It's ancient india. The thoughts of Christianity, Islam and Buddhism are still unborn. The "cults" are akin to a very early version of hinduism, the boy's references to the "fire external" make me suspect that the fire cults of persia not only exist but a known to him, at the same time the temple I enter into has no shiva linga (however linga is spelled) so the temple is not exactly dedicated to shiva, but at the same time after this dream I felt an affinity to the images of the dancing shiva. Also, like a great many of my dreams nothing is in english and sadly these languages are not understood by myself in my waking state ... though I have checked on the phrases in other languages that I have dreamt of and found that words I thought meant something actually did - though there have been a few times that these words meant something very different. I have tried to find the temple I dreamed, but I still have yet to find a circular indian temple like that - so if anyone knows anything regarding that I would be more than thankfull. As it is I recovered my ability to dance and so this dream has been on my mind all day - along with another, but I can describe that one in two sentances and though it was equaly powerfull for me I can't present it in a meaningfull way. But if anyone knows of such a circular temple in ancient india - I would love to know of it ... anyway - the dream ...

I'm traveling, on a holy pilgramige (of sorts) ... not to a specific place but rather through many places to look and see how they touch god and to learn from them. I pass through a crowded coastal city. The sun is blissfully hidden behind clouds (well, more than it had been), and people are out enjoying the respite from the heat. Markets are open and there are people everywhere, it's oppressively crowded. The smells of sweat, dust, animals, and cooking are absolutely unbearable ... I begin to get dizzy.

As I'm about to faint (or at least feel like it) a small indian looking boy grabs me. He sits me down and offers me something to drink out of a flask. Blissfull water - though with something added that sweetens it. We look at each other carefully for a long time. Finally he says to me that I need to meet him at a temple not far from where we are at, just before sunset latter that evening. He then giggles and goes off to the rest of his day, and I sit there in silent contemplation of what has happened. I think I sat there all day.

As the sun is about an hour from sunset I make my way to the temple and arrive just before sunset. I enter into the temple and just merely stand inside the door. I'm nervous not to offend the priesthood of the temple or the worshippers with any false move. I watch many others walk in and down to the seats located above and around the lowest part of the temple where the shrine is and the priesthood hold their ceremonies. None of the natives look to pleased to have a forienger there. Everything is red and gold and torches burn along the walls. It is quite beatifull. As I'm taking all this in the boy I met earlier enters into the cicular "stage" at the bottom.

He immediately looks up at me - and gets a "wry" expression on his face. He then runs up one of the pathways between the seats and grabs me by the hand. As always he is happy. He takes me down to the first row of seats and tells me to sit there. I look around at the crowd, they are not happy at all - appearently I'm sitting where the most respected people get to sit; kings, queens, courtesians etc. - certainly not foreigners. But they manage a fine state of controlled outrage and don't drag me out into the street and beat me to death. Meanwhile this boy has gone down and spoken to the musicians located on one side of room and moved to the center of the room and started his "prayer". It is a dialect I don't know and only catch a few words. I'm a little sad that I don't understand better what is said, I feel that this is a once in a lifetime sight for me and I'm still not sure what the worshippers are going to do to me when I leave. As he is alternately speaking and chanting the music starts. Occasionally one chink here a clang there a single note blown upon flute - I know all these mark and illustrate certain points in the "sermon". I reflect to myself that it is such with all beliefs - sound is power.

At the end of this part of the ritual he runs over to me - biggest goofy grin ever. He says to me in my tongue "Are you ready?", obviously I wait too long and am too uncertain to respond, so he says "don't be afraid - no harm will come to you here, this is part of what you seek!", he winks. Then he grabs my hand, and says "Come, you will LOVE this!". He leads me onto the stage. I look around and see the faces of the worshippers above me and their expressions are of absolute shock, most have their mouths open, and some are trembling with fury. He puts his hand on my face and turns my face to his, "Ignore them - they don't know.", and then another one of his smiles with his flashing eyes. He runs off to the musicians and speaks with them for a few minutes and then runs to the shrine and gets something (the tongs). "Does this kid ever walk I wonder to myself?"

He returns with things I recognize as fire tongs - except ceremonial versions gilded in some metal like bronze or gold, with hinges in the back. He hands me a pair and bows. Then he leads me to the center, and says "watch." He gestures to the musicians and they begin to play very slowly. He dances and matches his rythm to theirs - I get the feeling he's going very slowly for himself and is having a little difficulty because of it. I watch his steps, marking them as best I can. He then stops and says "you try". So I imitate him as best I can a few mis-steps here and there. He tilts his head as he watches and finally says, "not too bad". I stop and he starts, "watch more closely!" he says. The rythm has sped up a little and now he moves more fluidly, he begins to use the tongs as a cross between castenets and spoons, playing them off his arms and hips with his movements and with the music. After a bit he stops and again says "Now, you try." Again I attempt to follow his dance, still with the occasional mis-step. When I finish, he says "Ah, much better!" very deeply (for his voice) and grins. "Now, try and follow me ...", a mishiveious playfull grin, "... if you can." He begins to dance and I follow. The music has sped up a little. I notice as I follow him that occasionally a spark of flame appears at the end of his tongs. "A trick of light?" I wonder. And then realize no, no trick of light - real flame. So I try to get the same result. After much difficulty I succeed. Bigger grin on his part, he twists around and steps into the next part of the dance. The music has sped up and I follow. His arms are moving faster - as is his whole body. The tongs bang and clang, click and clop - they seem to be speaking. Then his tongs start to glow entirely with spiritual fire. I follow and twist step and fight off the dizziness. I fight to get my tongs to do the same. I barely can make them speak, I finally get them to glow. Delight on the boys face, the music speeds up more. The boys arms are a blur. I watch as the fire comes down his arms. I match him yet again it takes much difficulty. The music has taken a life of its own - how fast is it going I can't tell, but it is constantly speeding up. Time vanishes for me, all existance is gone, just me dancing with this boy with the music. All is black and the only light left in the universe is me and this boy. We dance and dance in this blessed void, all is passion purified, all is truth illuminated, all is love. The fire moves down and fills and surrounds his chest. I fight to control the passion, and with the greatest difficulty yet, it fills me. Such holy warmth, such healing, such power - amazing. The dance unending continues. Stars are born, planets spin, the universe is born a thousand times. The fire moves down his body and up to his head, he's a blur, like a flame. Can I do it? I try, I try and dance and spin. The secret word is spelled out in the notes of the tongs - the music is long gone. Just me and this boy, dancing for "divinity", dancing in "divinity". Divinity and awareness surround and fill us. We are stars in the ocean of time. And then silence. We move and dance still, our tongs are blue - we are blue and cool to the touch. Peace, and bliss I feel and utter calmness.

And then it stops after awhile sharply instantly - just like that. How did we know to stop? How did we stop so suddenly? Instantly, we are standing in the temple. The tongs dropped by our sides, we are covered in sweat. I'm hungry, thirsty beyond words. The temple comes into focus. Everything still seems silent. The boy is speaking to me, but I can't hear him. I shake my head, and point to my ears. He's smiling, such a happy child I reflect. I'm hungry. I bend in half and take a deep breath a look around, I feel so tired and almost sick to my stomach. Slowly sounds return to me. The suffle of feet. Weeping ... is that weeping I hear? Breathing ... I can hear that too. I look at the boy and stand up straight again - vertigo. I say something like whoa or wow. Is that my voice? The boy is watching me patiently. Again he starts to speak, I can hear him now. "I knew you were brother!", "The fire we worship here is not the flame external, but the fire within." He then holds his right hand up palm facing me. I nod, and then hug him. He then says to me "you should go, you need to find food and rest." He hands me his flask and I drink more of his sweetend water - my god it tastes good. "good luck on your journeys." he says and I say the same to him. I bow and turn and walk out of the temple - well perhaps stumble is more accurate. I pass the worshippers who looked at me before with disdain and hatred, they were now crying, and smiling at me.

A realization comes to me that to have one such as that boy in this temple is a rare blessing not often seen in many lifetimes. To have two dance as such and to be able to see it with one's own eyes is unheard of. They all felt blessed. "How did we appear to them?", I wonder. Upon exiting I come face to face with the rising sun, and think "the sun ... it's morning?", and then upon reflection I see that the sun is as much my brother as the boy inside. What ever blessing the worshippers recieved was nothing in comparison to the one I recieved!

Incidently, as I said before the dream was not in english, and the somewhat broken sounding language I have presented the boy as having is an attempt to express the way he spoke my language ... Also there are dreams I've had that I know to be karmic or genetic memory, but this dream struck me as something very very different. Never been sure what to make of this dream ... hope you all enjoy the read ...

the rain dream and the dance always ending.

I figured I'd post this since I mentioned it in the previous post ...

In the dream I was alone in a forest that is made up mostly of evergreen trees. I'm in a small circular clearing. As I'm sitting there enjoying the sun it starts to rain heavilly (I always love it when it is both sunny and raining). So for no reason in particular I start to dance - and as I'm just enjoying myself and the feeling of the rain washing over me a thought occurs to me that rain falls to earth and stops, but there is always more rain - and perhaps I could imitate that as a dance. So I began this really unusual dance that was somewhat broken while at the same time remaining fluid ... So I continue to dance and start wondering "what does the rain feel" - so my mind went along all this somewhat abstract lines of bizarre imaginings - soo I took my little experiment a bit further and filled myself with the feeling of rain, and then had a huge emotional surge of sorts and started crying and giggling.

For whatever reason I can't do that dance in real life - I can almost do it, but I can't keep it fluid. But the emotional aspect of it has remained and I sometimes cry silently when I dance - I can't help it. Incidently I had this dream years before the one posted above. Laughs, I have tried to do the fire dance and didn't experience anything like what was in the dream, well aside from the joy of dancing ... but no ultra powerfull spiritual experience - I just made myself really tired.

Back
Top Bottom