The Darjeeling Limited (2007)

knowledge_of_self

The Living Force
Has anyone seen this movie? I watched this movie a while back when it first came out and I thought it to be a very good/powerful movie. It entailed a lot of metaphors about life which I enjoyed.

Here is the synopsis from imdb

IMDB said:
Three American brothers who have not spoken to each other in a year set off on a train voyage across India with a plan to find themselves and bond with each other -- to become brothers again like they used to be. Their "spiritual quest", however, veers rapidly off-course (due to events involving over-the-counter pain killers, Indian cough syrup, and pepper spray), and they eventually find themselves stranded alone in the middle of the desert with eleven suitcases, a printer, and a laminating machine. At this moment, a new, unplanned journey suddenly begins

And here is the trailer~

-Spoiler-

I especially liked the ending- where they are trying to catch the train and finally they let go of all their luggage ( imo a metaphor for their baggage/false self) and the train being a metaphor for life, osit. It brought tears to my eyes.

I really enjoyed this movie too and, just like you, I find the ending very powerful.

Saw it and really liked it. It ended up surprising me, as the main cast and director are better known for their comedic talent. But yeah, it's really one of those movies that deserves a second watch to pick up all the interesting metaphors.

Heimdallr said:
Saw it and really liked it. It ended up surprising me, as the main cast and director are better known for their comedic talent. But yeah, it's really one of those movies that deserves a second watch to pick up all the interesting metaphors.

Yeah I was reminded of it because I read about ( I think it was) Elan Golomb's spiritual journey in the city of Darjeeling and I thought about this movie. I thought I should watch it a second time since it's been a couple of years since I saw it last and I really enjoyed it the first time. I saw it for pretty cheap the last time I was at the video store so maybe I'll buy it the next time I visit there. :)

Oh, and it really surprised me too the first time I saw it- because I thought it was going to be haha funny, especially since Owen Wilson was in it.

Also I find it interesting that Owen Wilson tried to commit suicide right after staring in this movie. Maybe it awoke something within him that made him realize the ugliness surrounding him, this is just my take on it though.

*edit- added a few thoughts*

I really enjoyed this movie!

Heimdallr said:
But yeah, it's really one of those movies that deserves a second watch to pick up all the interesting metaphors.
yep, I also think so...

The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life aquatic with Steve Zissou from this director are also very nice.

Yes!--this is a good movie, and I agree a second viewing is necessary to get the many metaphors, symbols and nuances through out the movie. It is a quest film; the brothers appear to be seeking: closure over the death of their father, their absent mother, closeness with each other, to come to terms with their current life issues, spiritual growth and self awareness. With all this questing going on it is still a very funny movie in an offbeat, ironic way. I am intrigued by Bill Murry's cameo appearance and love the character of the train porter who throws them off the train. The images of Indian culture are rich and dense and made me feel like I was there.
shellycheval

Back
Top Bottom