The Bathtub Test

Azur

The Living Force
The bathtub test

It doesn't hurt to take a hard look at yourself from time to time, and this should help get you started.

During a visit to the mental asylum, a visitor asked the Director what the criterion was which defined whether or not a patient should be institutionalized.

"Well," said the Director, "we fill up a bathtub, then we offer a teaspoon, a teacup and a bucket to the patient and ask him or her to empty the bathtub."

"Oh, I understand," said the visitor. "A normal person would use the bucket because it's bigger than the spoon or the teacup."

"No," said the Director, "a normal person would pull the plug. Do you want a bed near the window?"
Although the above shouldn't be taken at face value, i.e. criteria for institutionalization, it shows how people might choose to limit their perception (and avenues of action) to the "choices" provided by others.

:)

Blimey, I got caught out with that one. I thought of the bucket as well.

[edit] Drat. I just asked my missus, and she got it straight away!

Here's an oldie:
A father and his son are involved in a car accident, as a result of which the son is rushed to hospital for emergency surgery. The surgeon looks at him and says "I can't operate on him, he's my son". Explain.

The surgeon was injured so likely to make a mistake if he operated so wouldn't want to harm his son?

The surgeon is the Mother, and if so couldn't possibly operate on her son. What if the son didn't make it through the surgery, could the Mother live with the thought that she couldn't save her own son? In her eyes she would have in effect killed her own son.

I pulled the plug in the bathtub instantly. The surgeon one is kinda old, too. That was on the stoopid test.

Back
Top Bottom