The asteroid belts.

Wandering Star

The Living Force
Actually the question would be for those of you who have extensive knowledge of astronomy.

I have thought several times when looking at the starry sky on a clear night with its constellations, planets and millions of stars, which are very far outside the solar system and we see their light perfectly on a cloudless night.

Between Mars and Jupiter we have the asteroid belt and around the solar system we have the
oort cloud.

Shouldn't these belts hinder the ability to see the outer stars, or at least get in the way of some area, hindering or covering the light of a star?

Remembering the video of the rippling "energy" over the middle east, which was a breach of the "kingdom curtain", it seemed to me as if it was a hologram that was failing in that area.

My apologies if my question is somewhat silly.

The issue is about scale, probabilities, and visibilities. Asteroids are small (the largest are a few kilometers large only) and very far (hundred of millions of kilometers) which from the Earth makes them occupy a very tiny part of the sky. However, there is a chance that a given asteroid covers a given star at a certain moment. One could think of it like a solar eclipse where on should be at the right moment and at the right place to observe the asteroid-star "eclipse" (occultation). Depending on how fast an asteroid passes in front of the star (as we see it from earth) it is possible to deduce its size (by measuring the time during which the star is eclipsed). These are rare events but they can be measured and people do effectively measure them.

I don't know if it well explained but there are a few videos on YT of both professional and amateur obserations of asteroid occulations and how they do look like.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom