Tenerife and Mt. Tiede

Appollynon

Jedi Master
Hi everyone, Im planning a trip to Tenerife in the first week or two of September. I have been before a few years ago in my teens and really enjoyed the atmosphere and weather there, although I didn't have the chance to visit Mt. Tiede.

I know that there are many tours you can take up Mt. Tiede, but I had wondered if anyone in the forum here could recommend any specific tours or companies to organise this with?

Also after reading some of Laura's work into the history of "The Fortunate Isles" I would also like to try and spend some time doing some further research on the Gaunche race that lived on the Isles for some time before the European invaders had helped to destroy their culture. To do this Im thinking about visiting some of the museums based there. It was a welcome suprise to find out that Tenerife has many museums, such as the "Museo de la Naturaleza y el Hombre" (Museum of Nature and Man) which I plan to visit. But I have a question for anyone who has been to Tenerife before. Are there any museums that could be recommended that take a more in depth look at the culture of the Gaunches and the Island Pre-Conquest?

Also if anyone would like me to visit any sites or take a few photo's of places they have an interest in I will endevour to help out (time permitting).

I hope to keep a small diary of my stay, and will relay a few of the details and experiences on my trip here for thoses who are interested on this thread upon my return (or during my stay if I can find a quiet little internet cafe).

Thanks in advance for any help or recommendations that may come forth.

Hi Appollynon

Myself and a couple of friends went cycle-camping around the Canary Islands in 1992. We cycled almost to the top of Mount Tiete, it took us 2 days to get up and 20 minutes to come down! If memory serves me correctly, near the top there was some sort of interpretation centre/museum dealing with the volcano and geology/ natural history of the surrounding area. Adjacent was a chair lift right to the summit.

There are regular local bus services from the various holiday resorts to and from the mountain leaving enough time between departures for a good look around. Booking a package flight and hotel and using local transport would probably be a much cheaper option than going for a specialized tour - unless you prefer to do that.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the advice Treesparrow. To be honest I was toying with the idea of either going with a tour guide type, or getting a bus to the area with my GF and doing as we please on our own. After you input I know what choice I'll be making. Im already going on a package holiday there (as this is the usual type of holiday I book to either the Canaries or Balearics) and with your advice will be able to save money which can be better spent on other visits's such as maybe having a look around the Step Pyramids in Tenerife I have heard about (some similarities there with the South Americans I belive from my research).

I had heard about and seen pictures of the cable cars, but had no idea there was a small museum/interpretation centre there, I'll be sure to visit and soak up the geologic and historical information they have on the area.

Thankyou very much for your advice, you have helped me a great deal in my choices and I'll be sure to report back how it all goes. I'd going to try and take as many pics as I possibly can of the summit/area with my digital camera, which I'll offer to anyone who may be interested on my return.

Once again thankyou :lol:

Back
Top Bottom