Technology...the enemy?

Hi Nomad,
Thanks for the info. Also when I was editing my post you had posted your reply - the speed of networking got me there :lol:

Nomad said:
I think what PepperFritz is probably referring to is something that has been called the 'technological singularity':
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

Yes, I was.

Nomad said:
but I think we have already lost control of certain 'computer-run aspects of our society'! Not least because they are under the full control (augmented through technology) of humanoid machines called psychopaths that the vast majority of humanity have no idea how they operate.

Agreed. I think the C's are saying it's going to get a lot worse....

A good overview of this idea of singularity and some observations about technological change:

_http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=/articles/art0134.html?m%3D1

However, these observations do not take into account psychopaths, the matrix control system we exist in, and therefore the 3rd + 4th density plans for our future. In other words, Ray is observing trends and extrapolating from these observations, but without understanding the reason for these trends and the possibility that things are a lot more intentional and controlled/guided than they may appear on the surface of things, these extrapolations may be completely wrong and not apply to our reality. But still it is an interesting read, I think.

And I know he completely ignores any and all "conspiracies" because Ray himself has stated that technology will solve all our problems like world hunger. He doesn't seem to grok that world hunger has absolutely nothing to do with the lack of current means to eliminate it. He kinda strikes me to be analogous to economic analysts that do not consider the controlled nature of the economy as part of their analysis, and the plans of the "PTB" etc, and so only look at surface trends as if it is totally safe to assume the economy is a fully self-regulating thing with nobody having the power to influence it in the direction they choose. This is the reason that SOTT has been so accurately able to predict what the economy will do without needing all these powerful supercomputers to try to calculate stocks and economic trends that always fall on their faces because these computers only look at the numbers, and not understand the intent and the "line of force" behind the numbers.

It's like analyzing poker without considering the players and all the psychological tactics of the game, but just looking at only the cards and pure probabilities based on the cards.

Oh here's something that gave me a chuckle when I realized it while reading the above article:

article said:
My estimate of brain capacity is 100 billion neurons times an average 1,000 connections per neuron (with the calculations taking place primarily in the connections) times 200 calculations per second. Although these estimates are conservatively high, one can find higher and lower estimates. However, even much higher (or lower) estimates by orders of magnitude only shift the prediction by a relatively small number of years.

Some prominent dates from this analysis include the following:

* We achieve one Human Brain capability (2 * 10^16 cps) for $1,000 around the year 2023.
    * We achieve one Human Brain capability (2 * 10^16 cps) for one cent around the year 2037.
    * We achieve one Human Race capability (2 * 10^26 cps) for $1,000 around the year 2049.
    * We achieve one Human Race capability (2 * 10^26 cps) for one cent around the year 2059.

So Ray's estimated "calculations per second" of a human brain is (2 * 10^16) which is 20 quadrillion calculations per second. A quadrillion cps in computer speak is 20 petaflops. He says a computer that costs $1000 will calculate at 20 petaflops in 2023, which is the human brain. Well my thought was, what about a supercomputer? Those are much faster than personal computers. When will the fastest supercomputer be as fast as a human brain?

Here is the list of the fastest supercomputers in the world as of November 2008 (this list is updated twice a year):
http://www.top500.org/list/2008/11/100

And this is the projected trend of supercomputer speed over a number of years from 1993 into the future:
http://www.top500.org/static/lists/2008/11/perfdevel/Projected_Performance_Development.png

The fastest supercomputer in the world was 1 petaflop in 2008. According to the trend shown in the picture, we will have a 10 petaflop supercomputer in 2012. That means every 4 years the fastest supercomputer is 10 times faster than 4 years ago. This also means 20 petaflops will also be reached in 2012, or 2013 at the latest. It doesn't really mean anything "bad" will happen of course, I just thought it was funny the date 2012 is when computers will catch up to and very quickly become faster than the human brain. And if the trend continues, in 2016 we'll have a supercomputer 10 times faster than the human brain, in 2020 it will be 100 times faster, and so on.

Just on these numbers relating to the speed of the brain, is this regardless of whether or not you are someone who is in touch with their higher centers or not, or are we talking of those parts of the brain anyway?

tridean said:
Just on these numbers relating to the speed of the brain, is this regardless of whether or not you are someone who is in touch with their higher centers or not, or are we talking of those parts of the brain anyway?

I think you are mixing concepts here. The higher centers are not something physical, as far as I'm aware, and thus would not be subject to the same measurables that are mentioned above. Besides, how would someone in touch with their higher centers be noticeable and available for testing? It's a fairly limited concept, meaning it isn't accepted or even in the awareness of mainstream science to be tested. Unless their is a Gurdjieffian scientist out there... :P

But anyway, the brain specifically is not what is connected to the higher centers. So their are no "those parts of the brain" that would be testable. OSIT.

I think you are mixing concepts here. The higher centers are not something physical, as far as I'm aware, and thus would not be subject to the same measurables that are mentioned above. Besides, how would someone in touch with their higher centers be noticeable and available for testing? It's a fairly limited concept, meaning it isn't accepted or even in the awareness of mainstream science to be tested. Unless their is a Gurdjieffian scientist out there... Tongue

But anyway, the brain specifically is not what is connected to the higher centers. So their are no "those parts of the brain" that would be testable. OSIT.

Thanks, I am only half way through ISOTM and I have like a million questions already. That has answered one of them, providing you are right :lol:

Back
Top Bottom