Superluminal

weasel3d

Jedi
_http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/22/science-light-idUSL5E7KM4CW20110922

Saw this just a few minutes ago and don't know where to post it. "An international team of scientists said on Thursday they had recorded sub-atomic particles travelling faster than light -- a finding that could overturn one of Einstein's long-accepted fundamental laws of the universe."

There's been a lot of super-luminal talk here over the years. I started to look for mentions early on by the Cs, but don't have the time, today. But, I'm pretty sure they've brought it up on many occasions and here's what looks like some science that backs that up.

Another Hit For The Cassiopaeans? - Faster Than Light Speed

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/235288-Strange-Particles-May-Travel-Faster-than-Light-Breaking-Laws-of-Physics

:)

Nothing goes faster than the speed of light. At least, we didn't think so.

New results from the CERN laboratory in Switzerland seem to break this cardinal rule of physics, calling into question one of the most trusted laws discovered by Albert Einstein.

Physicists have found that tiny particles called neutrinos are making a 454-mile (730-kilometer) underground trip faster than they should - more quickly, in fact, than light could do. If the results are confirmed, they could throw much of modern physics into upheaval.

The results come from the OPERA experiment, which sends sprays of neutrinos from CERN in Geneva to the INFN Gran Sasso Laboratory in Italy. After analyzing the results from 15,000 particles, it seems the neutrinos are crossing the distance at a velocity 20 parts per million faster than the speed of light. By making use of advanced GPS systems and atomic clocks, the researchers were able to determine this speed to an accuracy of less than 10 nanoseconds (.00000001 seconds).

Realizing full well how scandalous the results will be if they are borne out, the scientists behind OPERA, led by Antonio Ereditato of the University of Bern, have decided to make their data public, in hopes of inviting scrutiny that could make sense of such radical findings. The scientists also intend to gather more data and further analyze their measurements in order to establish them more fully, or refute them. Their results will be published Friday (Sept. 23) on the physics preprint site ArXiv.

Previous studies have found that certain materials can travel faster than light through a medium. For example, certain particles are able to move more swiftly than light when travelling through water or oil. However, nothing should be able to move faster than light through a vacuum.

This cosmic speed limit, 299,792,458 meters per second (about 700 million miles an hour), has long been thought to be impassable. It forms the backbone of Einstein's seminal Theory of Special Relativity, published in 1905. To rewrite this law would have broad-ranging implications, including even the possibility of time travel.

OPERA neutrino experiment on breaking speed of light

OPERA neutrino experiment on breaking speed of light --- webcast

giuliopriscotube said:
This is the live Webcast from CERN on Friday September 23, 2011. Given the potential far-reaching consequences of the OPERA experiment --- which observes a neutrino beam from CERN 730 km away at Italy's INFN Gran Sasso Laboratory, indicating that the neutrinos travel at a velocity 20 parts per million above the speed of light --- independent measurements are needed before the effect can either be refuted or firmly established, according to a CERN statement just issued. The OPERA collaboration has therefore decided to open the result to broader scrutiny.

Is this a potential revolution in physics?

Re: OPERA neutrino experiment on breaking speed of light

go2 said:
Is this a potential revolution in physics?

It still needs to be confirmed by repetition, but that's what it looks like to me. I'm not a physicist and only have assumptions of the depth of change that this can bring about. Wonder what Ark has to say on this?

mod: quote fixed

I have seen it too, well the articles, not the neutrinos of course.

First thing I noticed is a cohort of scientists charging forward yelling that it is impossible and that is has to be an error/malfunctionning etc. The usual response to evidence that dosen't "fit the picture" as they would immagine it.

Now of course, it could be an error but it could also be accurate. So best thing is to stay open minded.

I can't immagine how a mainstream hardcore-materialist scientist would react:

"What? What do you mean faster-than-light? Neutrinos? No! Impossible! What? I don't care! Make it impossible it you have too! The LHC? Well it's clearly just a non-working piece of junk! Get that crap recycled and built a new one that will never show that kind of non-sense again! Listen to what I say, I have a Ph.D. for heaven's sake!"

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom