Sugar addiction and diet changes.

Gawan said:
Same here, the fish-oil I got is as well from Salmon. I try to have a look for cod-liver oil.

Yeah me too, I've been taking salmon oil and cod liver oil capsules. They were the ones recommended in the detox thread, so maybe the salmon oil doesn't contain significant amounts of mercury. It would seem kind of contradictory to include something that adds mercury when you're detoxing from it.

Psyche said:
L-glutamine is one of my favorite ones. Here are a few quotes about it from Beating and Treating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:

Thanks for that Psyche,
I ordered right now ALA and keep on reading and then readjust again what else my body needs.

FWIW:

my sugar addiction is much lower than before I started this thread, also by some means when I eat now two or three spoons of honey, my body starts to burn, which feels simply not good. So I decreased my honey intake as well. Only fruits and dried fruits, stevia.

thevenusian said:
If you feel crappy from detox and haven't tried this, you'll soon get over your reservations about it once you do.

You are right, I looked the word up: "enema" and only thought: omg. ;D

3D Student said:
Gawan said:
Same here, the fish-oil I got is as well from Salmon. I try to have a look for cod-liver oil.

Yeah me too, I've been taking salmon oil and cod liver oil capsules. They were the ones recommended in the detox thread, so maybe the salmon oil doesn't contain significant amounts of mercury. It would seem kind of contradictory to include something that adds mercury when you're detoxing from it.

Yes, it looks like it.
Anyway it has been quite an adventure to get to this fish oil, actually it is considered for huskies and they get it before a race so that they drink more water (it is added to the water) before it.

I just want to clarify the issue about salmon that was mentioned here. I did some research and it seems that salmon is one of the fish with the lowest mercury content. See these sites:

_http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/Product-SpecificInformation/Seafood/FoodbornePathogensContaminants/Methylmercury/ucm115644.htm
_http://www.doctorsorganicvitamins.com/info/lef/fishoil/safer_than_fish.pdf
_http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3013797

The FDA says to eat up to 12 ounces of the low mercury containing fish. Also, for the salmon oil, I don't think that would be an issue either (see second source). The salmon oil I use is Carlson Laboratories Norwegian Salmon oil and the bottle says it contains no measurable amount of mercury and other toxins. So if you really wanted to be sure about your oil just get one that's been tested for mercury content.

Thanks 3D Student. Seems from what you found that salmon is relatively safe. I wasn't 100% sure.
Should've done some research before I opened my mouth :-[
Gonna have some salmon tonight.

Gawan said:
It can be described that it starts every morning and goes on for about 3-4 hours that my body feels miserable, like burning in my eyes/ariund the eyes, not able to concentrate (reading/writing: doing something with my head is always a pain) and everything is kind of heavy to me.

Well,
somehow I'm feeling really desperate at the moment, the bad-body-feeling hasn't gone away, also with the many changes in the diet I have done so far.
I'm currently reading the “Ultra mind solution” and am half through it, but cannot wait anylonger to do more changes: be it taking folate (there I found a deficiency in my hemogram), glutathione …
Somehow this feeling every morning “s*cks”: I cannot concentrate, have no power and no motivation to do the my job, and sometimes getting angry as well against myself and feeling really irritable, want to get out of the body, to run.

[...]

I collected some further data about this body mood.

It happens most often after I have eaten something. So I talked to a doctor and she mentioned it could be that I'm too relaxed when I'm eating and that the parasympathetic nervous system is too stimulated when I'm eating. Further I'm doing naturally belly-breathing. And in the last days I collected some data of my bloodpressure (which has been my first thought: bloodpressure and maybe something with the thyroid gland). The average bloodpressure results of 10 tests over the last days (systolic) are: 107.8 mmHg.

Has someone an idea what I could do for or against it, what to read etc.?

Gawan said:

It happens most often after I have eaten something.

Your blood pressure is perfect. Remember too that a food intolerance can be manifested as mood problems. You have to monitor what you eat and how you feel to see if this is the case. Ideally under an elimination diet (like the Ultra Simple diet), so you can test eat one thing at a time. Sugar is a typical one, also because it can create an imbalance in your brain chemistry and it also is a source of inflammation. It might better then when you have meals that are well balanced with quantities of protein. This subject is touched in the book, The Mood Cure.

Hmm, have a look here: http://www.moodcure.com/

And fill their questionnaires here: http://www.moodcure.com/Questionnaire.html

See if you come up with a particular imbalance according to those questionnaires. I found the book very useful in categorizing each mood and their particular predominant neurotransmitter imbalance. It also talks about nutritional deficiencies and toxicity, and subjects in general that we had discussed here. Their questionnaires are phrased in such a way so the predominant deficiencies will be uncovered. The author also has had success in treating mood problems in her patients with rich protein diets (non toxic) and amino acids according to each imbalance. She treats and helps addicts (to alcohol, xanax, ETC) to wean off their drugs according to their neurochemical imbalances as well, that was pretty instructive.

Psyche said:
Gawan said:

It happens most often after I have eaten something.

Your blood pressure is perfect. Remember too that a food intolerance can be manifested as mood problems. You have to monitor what you eat and how you feel to see if this is the case. Ideally under an elimination diet (like the Ultra Simple diet), so you can test eat one thing at a time. Sugar is a typical one, also because it can create an imbalance in your brain chemistry and it also is a source of inflammation. It might better then when you have meals that are well balanced with quantities of protein. This subject is touched in the book, The Mood Cure.

Hmm, have a look here: http://www.moodcure.com/

And fill their questionnaires here: http://www.moodcure.com/Questionnaire.html

See if you come up with a particular imbalance according to those questionnaires. I found the book very useful in categorizing each mood and their particular predominant neurotransmitter imbalance. It also talks about nutritional deficiencies and toxicity, and subjects in general that we had discussed here. Their questionnaires are phrased in such a way so the predominant deficiencies will be uncovered. The author also has had success in treating mood problems in her patients with rich protein diets (non toxic) and amino acids according to each imbalance. She treats and helps addicts (to alcohol, xanax, ETC) to wean off their drugs according to their neurochemical imbalances as well, that was pretty instructive.

Hmmm, I think you are onto something, thank you for that Psyche.

I scoored on all these tests relatively high, so I will go for that book and excluding some stuff from my plate:

And to the allergies: right now, after I have eaten a raw tomatoe (with salt and pepper) the mood is back, also this happened some time ago after I have eaten a single banana (out of nowhere the felling/mood was back again). And bananas having a big place in my diet (currently ultra simple diet, with many new supplements), to control as easy as possible my bloodsugar and to have something in my stomach, because I'm most of the time hungry and still skinny as a razor.

Thanks again.

In the Mood Cure you'll find more ideas, food alternatives. I remember she talked about how soy is evil, but I don't remember if she included some food items that might be questionable. You can search the forum to make sure if we discussed them in the past. She is into saturated fat, which is a healthy fat if it doesn't have evil additives or toxic chemicals.

A lot of people can't tolerate bananas. Tomatoes are part of the night shade family, so they are known to be problematic. But the Ultra simple diet does include bananas, lemons, and nuts that lots of people can't tolerate. I even have a cousin who has bad allergies to flaxseeds. But for the most part, the Ultra Simple diet is a good rough guide of an elimination diet.

Also, if you are very skinny, it might mean that you are not absorbing nutrients due to immune problems/leaky gut (malabsorption). That means also that you might not be absorbing raw material (amino acids, among others) that is needed to create brain chemicals, which then contributes to the mood problems. This is also addressed in The Mood Cure, if I remember correctly. There are suggestions of supplements as well to help with this, generally it means that you need supplementation with vitamins, minerals, anti-inflammatory fatty acids, and amino acids. According to your mood/neurotransmitter imbalances, you might need more of specific amino acids. In the Mood Cure, you'll find the concept of food allergies and an elimination diet again in order to deal with mood problems. It is really a key concept in order to heal. So identifying problematic/allergenic foods will help you stabilize your immune system and heal.

The Mood Cure is not included in our top 5 reading health books, because a lot of stuff is addressed in those top 5 books (and other important info is addressed in them as well). But if you're having mood problems that are problematic, it does help to read a "specialized" book about it. In my case, it makes me feel less like a basket case ;) and it is very motivational and instructive (knowledge protects).

I hope you will be able to sort this out. Perhaps keeping a food and feelings journal will help you to find culprits.

Psyche said:
In the Mood Cure you'll find more ideas, food alternatives. I remember she talked about how soy is evil, but I don't remember if she included some food items that might be questionable. You can search the forum to make sure if we discussed them in the past. She is into saturated fat, which is a healthy fat if it doesn't have evil additives or toxic chemicals.

So far their are no discussions about this book, maybe worth for opening one?!

Psyche said:
A lot of people can't tolerate bananas. Tomatoes are part of the night shade family, so they are known to be problematic. But the Ultra simple diet does include bananas, lemons, and nuts that lots of people can't tolerate. I even have a cousin who has bad allergies to flaxseeds. But for the most part, the Ultra Simple diet is a good rough guide of an elimination diet.

Absolutely, but Hyman mentions that he took care of the most common food allergies (gluten and milk) and wrote there are maybe others too.

Psyche said:
Also, if you are very skinny, it might mean that you are not absorbing nutrients due to immune problems/leaky gut (malabsorption). That means also that you might not be absorbing raw material (amino acids, among others) that is needed to create brain chemicals, which then contributes to the mood problems. This is also addressed in The Mood Cure, if I remember correctly. There are suggestions of supplements as well to help with this, generally it means that you need supplementation with vitamins, minerals, anti-inflammatory fatty acids, and amino acids. According to your mood/neurotransmitter imbalances, you might need more of specific amino acids. In the Mood Cure, you'll find the concept of food allergies and an elimination diet again in order to deal with mood problems. It is really a key concept in order to heal. So identifying problematic/allergenic foods will help you stabilize your immune system and heal.

I think the step-by-step procedure has to be done, not all at once but bit by bit: identifying, eliminating, adjusting and supplementing.

Psyche said:
I hope you will be able to sort this out. Perhaps keeping a food and feelings journal will help you to find culprits.

It does!!! :flowers:
Since a longer time I'm using my journal for these matters and writing issues in different colors in, for example: green for body issues, pink for dreams etc., so it's more easy to find them again.

Okay I did some changes.

Took off Bananas and Tomatoes, Kiwis and everything else what belongs to the family.

Started a foodtracking book, where I wrote/write everything in what I ate and eat to get to the source or sources.

And this body-feeling (mind fog, no motivation/no power) still reoccurred, in different variations, yesterday I ate smoked salmon: mind-fog. Today a kaki: mind-fog, no power, chillness. After spinach, rice, olive oil: mind-fog, no power...
Also I'm intolerant to vinegar and some nut-types (walnut), that's what I discovered some time back.

So I took some power I had left to check out, what could it be.

And I found that it looks like a histamine-intollerance.

From _http://histame.com/histamine-rich-foods-substances

Histamine rich foods said:
  • Alcohol, particularly red wine and champagne. Also white wine and beer.
  • Aged, smoked, canned fish and fish sauces. Tuna fish, mackerel, sardines, anchovy, herring, catfish, salmon.
  • Pizza
  • Smoked and processed meats such as salami, ham, bratwurst and bacon
  • Sauerkraut
  • Certain vegetables: tomato, spinach, eggplant, avocado, mushrooms and canned vegetables as well as commercially prepared salads
  • Certain fruits: strawberries, bananas, papayas, kiwi, pineapple, mango, tangerines, grapefruits, red prunes, pea
  • Red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar
  • Soy sauce
  • Cheese
  • Mustard
  • Ketchup
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Chocolate/cocoa
  • Coffee, black tea
  • Some fruits: citrus, bananas, strawberries, red prunes, pears, kiwi, raspberries, papaya
  • Bread and confectionery made with yeast
  • Peanuts, cashews, walnuts

emphases mine

Hopefully I found now the source.
Further adjusting needs to be done now.

Back
Top Bottom