Sub Irrigated Planters

Johnno

The Living Force
Not sure where to put a gardening thread, this seemed semi appropriate. :D

I came across one of these Sub Irrigated Planters yesterday at my local Gardening/Nursery, the one I saw was an American made Earthbox. They seem a good idea for small spaces and for those areas either too dry, too shady or too wet (in my case) to grow vegetables successfully. The best place for me to put a garden unfortunately has a timber deck over it.

So I did a bit of looking around and found some good ideas on the subject, one of these would be ideal on the patio.

Here's a image of an Earthbox.

ebfeatures.gif

There's a blog here:

http://greenroofgrowers.blogspot.com/

And an example of how to make one yourself from a couple of tubs, some yogurt containers and some PVC pipe.

http://greenroofgrowers.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-to-make-sip.html

Another pretty cool blog on the subject here.

http://www.insideurbangreen.org/

This should work very well with tomatoes. I grew some of my own this year using a primitive version of this sub irrigation system. It was just two pots, inner and outer, with some paper towel in between in order to limit the water inflow and I put this into a tray with water. It was an almost carefree solution. Tomatoes have strange preferences. They like humid soil but have a great dislike for rain. At least for hard rain, which leaves the fruits with scars. It might be a good idea then if you place the system under a roof as long as there is enough sunlight. An indoor solution should also be possible if one uses full spectrum light bulbs as suggested by royateel in a recent post.

I had a couple of tubs and did a basic set up but it looks as if I may have over fertilized as the tomatoes are looking a little yellow.

I had 6 tomato seedlings and am trying them in various locations. Two in the S.I.P, one in a large pot, and three in various backyard locations.

The main problem I have is a lot of big trees which shade out the sunlight, good for ferns but not much good for those things that like full sun. So I'll see which works out best and go with that. :thup:

Yes, wait and see is the correct approach towards objective tomatoes. Yellow and brown leaves are a common problem this year so there is no reason to worry yet. My harvest was still good. I grew three old sorts, which are very rich in taste. I am now collecting seeds for next year and I could send you some, if you wish to expand your project.

Here's a pic of my current Sub Irrigated planter with a new batch of potting mix and NO fertilizer. couple of Tomato plants in a sunny position seem to be doing well.

Yes, the water at the bottom is filled through the PVC conduit at the back. I cut a hole on the bottom of the inside tub the size of a largish seedling pot, put the pot in and this acts as a wick making contact with the water in the bottom. Four pots the same size are placed upside down keeping the inside tub above the water.

Just tested the soil moisture this morning and it is just right!

:thup:

Back
Top Bottom