Strange 'twin' new worlds found

P

paulnotbilly

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5241774.stm

A pair of strange new worlds that blur the boundaries between planets and stars have been discovered beyond our Solar System.

A few dozen such objects have been identified in recent years but this is the first set of "twins".

Dubbed "planemos", they circle each other rather than orbiting a star.

Their existence challenges current theories about the formation of planets and stars, astronomers report in the journal Science.

"This is a truly remarkable pair of twins - each having only about 1% the mass of our Sun," said Ray Jayawardhana of the University of Toronto, co-author of the Science paper.

"Its mere existence is a surprise, and its origin and fate a bit of a mystery."

'Double planet'

The pair belongs to what some astronomers believe is a new class of planet-like objects floating through space; so-called planetary mass objects, or "planemos", which are not bound to stars.

Now we're curious to find out whether such pairs are common or rare. The answer could shed light on how free-floating planetary-mass objects form Valentin Ivanov

They appear to have been forged from a contracting gas cloud, in a similar way to stars, but are much too cool to be true stars.

And while they have similar masses to many of the giant planets discovered beyond our Solar System (the largest weighs in at 14 times the mass of Jupiter and the other is about seven times more massive), they are not thought to be true planets either.

"We are resisting the temptation to call it a 'double planet' because this pair probably didn't form the way that planets in our Solar System did," said co-researcher Valentin Ivanov of the European Southern Observatory (ESO) in Santiago, Chile.

'Amazing diversity'

The two objects have similar spectra and colours, suggesting that they formed at the same time about a million years ago.

They are separated by about six times the distance between the Sun and Pluto, and can be found in the Ophiuchus star-forming region some 400 light years away. They go under the official name Oph 162225-240515, or Oph 1622 for short.

"Recent discoveries have revealed an amazing diversity of worlds out there," said Dr Jayawardhana. "Still, the Oph 1622 pair stands out as one of the most intriguing, if not peculiar."

His colleague, Dr Ivanov, said they were curious to find out whether such pairs are common or rare.

"The answer could shed light on how free-floating planetary-mass objects form," he added.

Oph 1622 was discovered using the ESO's New Technology Telescope at La Silla, Chile. Follow-up studies were conducted with the ESO's Very Large Telescope.

paulnotbilly said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5241774.stm

A pair of strange new worlds that blur the boundaries between planets and stars have been discovered beyond our Solar System.

A few dozen such objects have been identified in recent years but this is the first set of "twins".

Dubbed "planemos", they circle each other rather than orbiting a star.

Their existence challenges current theories about the formation of planets and stars, astronomers report in the journal Science.
There is much more to come that will "challenge" the current theories, I think.

"Grau, teurer Freund, ist alle Theorie
Und gr

I was more surprised that they didn't consider this. OK I am not an expert, but I don't know why a theory should blind people to new possibilities. It seems logical to me that two planets could orbit each other. It also seems logical to me that this universe is orbiting something much larger, or could be orbiting around another universe, or that its part of a huge gassy type of planet, or that its part of a cup on my table top (ie. a paradox). It could be loads of things. It could be two things at once or more. I don't know how scientists get surprised over simple stuff like this, its like, "omg, I didn't consider that!" WHY NOT?? Maybe I should take my own medicine and consider that a lot of scientists have a high IQ, are smart according to other people who think they are smart, but actually they are mostly a bunch of absolute idiots who are abusing themselves. Its like some kind of virus is in their heads. Or maybe I'm not as entitled to moan about this as I think. But I did. I am just a bit upset and dissapointed in the human race, but maybe thats because I am stupid. If someone has something to say to correct me please do.

At the same time I think, ok... its ok. Everyone is free to be who they want. I'm just confused, something isn't right. I don't understand how people can be so intelligent, and yet so stupid. Its like people are squandering it. But I can't talk because I'm not out there, doing my part. No, I am at home writing on a forum, not really doing much good at all. I feel like I'm being surpressed. By the way things are on this planet, and just my own laziness. And I think its happening to a lot of people.

One thing, I just wouldn't mind it if people stopped putting all their effort into rubbish, and I really think that if we just calmed down, and realised that it IS useless, and started to actually think, then we could have anything we wanted without it being a danger to progression. The world just seems to be a factory for a load of useless rubbish which destroys our potential. Like a flashy car, or mobile phone. Why are people working for this rubbish, why aren't people actually doing real work, helping each other to learn? I really think that people do it because they don't have any faith that they can learn anything, or make any difference. But why believe that you can't? I know its a subjective view, but I can't get over the feeling that the human race has been duped into this, that our stupidity is our worst enemy. Its horrible. Its a vicious circle, because we are stupid, we can't see that we're being stupid.

Back
Top Bottom