Strange Explosions/booms around the world

RT
Blast near US Embassy in Beijing – reports
Published time: 26 Jul, 2018 05:49

Amichai SteinVerified account @AmichaiStein1
Correspondent at the @kann Diplomatic desk | Israeli public broadcasting corporation | כתב התחום המדיני ב"כאן" | amichais@kan.org.i

Lage Blast Reportedly Occurs Near US Embassy in Beijing (PHOTO, VIDEO)

2 dead, at least 55 injured in massive highway explosion in Bologna (PHOTOS, VIDEOS)
Snip:
Two people have died and at least 55 others are injured following an enormous explosion on a highway in Bologna, Italy, according to the ANSA news outlet.

The explosion was heard just before 2pm in the Borgo Panigale area, on the outskirts of the city. There are differing reports regarding the number of people casualties. The Rai news outlet is reporting that as many as 100 people are injured. At least 14 of the injured are in a serious condition.

The blast happened after a truck carrying flammable liquids was involved in a crash with other vehicles. The police shared video footage showing that a large section of the road collapsed following the incident.

READ MORE: Bologna blast: Enormous crater in highway captured on VIDEO

The fire then spread to a carpark beneath the overpass, where several other vehicles caught fire and exploded. Several blasts were heard over the course of nearly 10 minutes.

Video footage from the scene shows huge columns of billowing into the air following the blast. Several social media users captured footage of the massive explosion which showed an enormous fireball bursting into the sky.

The explosion was caught on film and posted on Instagram by Bologna resident Michele Palma. It shows a dark column of smoke quickly followed by a violent eruption of flames seemingly filling the entire adjacent street.

Actually, this thread is for strange explosions that might be related to fireballs/meteorites.

Quoting my Previous message. Can one of the mods split off all c.a.'s posts about mundane explosions into their own appropriately titled thread and if we don't have a thread for truly "strange" booms and explosions, the opening post can stand, or if we do, it can be moved there.

Sorry, it's getting quit complicated to discern what should go where. So thanks for the clarification.

Hmm so they say!

Large boom in Surprise caused by jet breaking sound barrier
Updated: 1:34 PM, Dec 30, 2018
SURPRISE, AZ
It was a calm Thursday afternoon in Analisa Ceballos' Surprise neighborhood last week, the Christmas rush finally coming to an end.

"I was sitting in the living room around four o'clock, everybody here was taking a nap so it was nice and quiet for the first time and all of a sudden there was a really loud boom," Ceballos said.

Ceballos says it was unlike anything she'd ever experienced.

"Like my window started shaking, my door opened," Ceballos said.

She says the shaking permeated throughout her entire home.

"Honestly I thought it was an earthquake, it scared the crap out of me so I had no idea what was going on."
Miles away Emmalee Flores, Ceballos sister says she heard and felt it too.

"I just heard a big huge boom my entire house shook, like all our windows all our doors, my dog went crazy," Flores said.
They immediately texted one another.

"And at the same exact time we sent the same exact message I said was that an earthquake did you feel that," Flores said.

Social media flooded with similar questions. Folks experienced the same thing from Surprise, to El Mirage, to Sun City.
The United States Geological Survey was tracking no earthquakes in the area.

Others wondering if it was thunder but there wasn't a cloud in the sky.

It turned out to be an F-35 out of Luke Air Force Base breaking the sound barrier.

When that happens, jets flying more than 770 miles an hour produces a sonic boom, sending a shock wave that can travel miles.
"I've lived here all of my life and we've had the jets come by all the time random hours but I've never felt anything like that," Ceballos said.
And it may not be the last time.

Surprise comprises a large swath of Luke's overflight operations where the jets are a common sight.
But as common as it might be, there's not much than can prepare you for hearing and feeling that kind of power in person.

Posted: 10:16 PM, Dec 29, 2018 / 1:56

Meanwhile:

An ammunition depot caught fire in Russia, explosions are heard.

On October 7 in Ryazan region of Russia there was a fire at ammunition storage of Western military district (WMD), located in the forest near Zheltukhino settlement.

picture2_v-rossii-zagorels_373628_p0.jpg

Explosions in the warehouse evacuated residents of more than 10 settlements within a 5 km radius.

According to the press service of the ZVO, around 13:20 grass caught fire in the warehouse, and then because of the gusty wind, the fire spread to the site of artillery ammunition.

It is stated that the firefighters of the military unit unsuccessfully tried to put out the fire, after which the rescue workers of the Ministry of Emergency Situations went there.

Now the ammunition is exploding in the warehouse, but, according to the military, no one was injured, and everyone was evacuated from the military unit.

HARRISONBURG, Va. (AP) - Fire officials have completed another search of the site of a weekend explosion and fire in Harrisonburg, Virginia, and determined there are no additional victims, the city announced Sunday night.

An explosion rocked a strip mall Saturday morning, followed by a large fire. Officials said Saturday they were aware of five people who had been injured, but an additional search was being done to make sure no one had been missed.

“The Harrisonburg Fire Department has completed its secondary search of the Miller Circle fire site, and has determined that there are no additional individuals on site who were harmed by the incident. Searches are now complete,” the city tweeted Sunday.

RELATED: Investigation underway after at least 5 injured in fiery explosion at Virginia shopping center

The city also said the investigation into the fire's cause was continuing. Officials said Saturday it would likely take several days.

The blast was so strong that some residents reported their homes shaking and other nearby businesses were forced to close due to damage, TV station WHSV reported.

Of those injured, three had injuries described as minor or not life-threatening. Two were flown to the University of Virginia’s medical center in serious condition, officials said Saturday.

A message left with the medical center's public relations staff Sunday was not immediately returned.

Air3 flies over Saturday’s explosion in Harrisonburg Published: Oct. 18, 2020 at 5:13 PM GMT+2|Updated: 14 hours ago

Hmm, 🤔 ... gas and electric...?

December 23, 2020 at 11:29 am
Snip: Video's Tweets Comments
BALTIMORE (WJZ) — At least 21 people were taken to area hospitals after an explosion at the Baltimore Gas & Electric building in downtown Baltimore Wednesday morning. Eyewitnesses told WJZ-TV they heard and felt a large explosion just before 8:30 a.m. Then, they saw scaffolding fall from the building in the 100 block of West Fayette Street.
Two contractors who were cleaning the building windows were left clinging to the remaining scaffolding on the Lexington Street side of the building for about 30 minutes. They were later rescued by the fire department’s special operations team, who broke a window on the 10th and 11th floor and pulled the men through.

A total of 23 people were rescued from the building; 21 were taken to area hospitals for treatment. Two people refused treatment. Of those injured, nine are critical and one is in serious condition.

The building’s roof also partially collapsed.

The good news is that most of the building was empty due to the upcoming holidays and the pandemic. Firefighters swept the building after the incident to make sure no one else was inside.

BGE said construction work was underway on the building’s air handling and boiler system and that likely caused the incident.

BGE said they do not believe the explosion was gas-related.

Here’s the full statement from BGE:
On Wednesday, Dec. 23, 2020, a construction related incident occurred at BGE’s offices at 2 Center Plaza in downtown Baltimore. Construction work was occurring on the building’s air handling and boiler system, which likely caused the incident. The incident was not natural gas related. The building’s gas service was not active due to the construction work. The Baltimore City Fire Department has confirmed there are people being treated for serious but non-life threatening injuries. The building was largely empty due to the upcoming holidays and the pandemic. Window washing scaffolding was compromised because of the incident and a window washing crew was pulled to safety by the fire department. Fire department and BGE crews are on scene.

When the explosion happened, it blew out some of the windows. An eyewitness told WJZ’s Annie Rose Ramos that he was walking in the area when he heard and felt the explosion. He said the ground shook under him and he could see smoke in the air.

“I was walking on this side of the street past the Radisson [hotel] and the glass on the building shook and it went ‘boom,'” eyewitness Roger Lewis said, “and I didn’t know what it was. And we saw debris falling across the street over there.”

The incident happened on the 16th floor, per the city firefighters’ union.

WJZ saw multiple people being brought out of the building on stretchers. Two of the injured were being treated on the ground for burn-related injuries before they were transported to an area hospital.

Roads have been closed in the area and motorists are being asked to take alternate routes.

Now crews must remove the remaining scaffolding left on the building.

Chief Niles Ford said crews will do this methodically and slowly to make sure the scaffolding is safely removed.

Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott released a statement later Wednesday afternoon, thanking Baltimore City Fire and first-responders for their work.

It reads in full:
“This morning, an explosion at the BGE Building ignited a fire near the top of the building, trapping people on the surrounding scaffolding. The Baltimore City Fire Department remains on scene as the cause of the explosion is still under investigation.
Thanks to the swift action of our Fire Department, 23 people have been rescued, 21 of whom have been transported to area hospitals. Nine are in critical condition, one is in serious condition, and no deaths have been reported.
I want to thank BCFD and our first responders for their life-saving work today. Without their bravery and quick response, the outcome could have been much worse. As the Fire Department’s investigation continues, my office will provide updates.”

The investigation continues into the explosion. ATF Baltimore and the state’s fire marshal’s office are working with Baltimore city fire and police on the incident.

Back
Top Bottom