Strange animal on Long Island

Laylla

A Disturbance in the Force
I did some searching and noticed you had a thread back in 2006 about a strange animal people were seeing. It looked like a cross between a dog, a fox and a kangaroo. After some more searching (God Bless the internetz!!) I realized this animal has been seen in several states with various climates. At first I thought perhaps an emaciated dingo ( I actually googled images and came across some that were similar, but that would not explain the sheer number of them.

The reason for this insane search is because Saturday my boss brought the subject up with me. Outside of work, I work with an animal rescue organization and also have about 15 years of wildlife rehab experience. I live on Long Island and his son has spotted this odd animal several times before finally being able to snap a fairly decent photo:

I've read here and other places that a creature of this exact description (saw pics of it as well in other articles) in areas like Main, Texas and Washington DC. Has anyone heard anything more this?

Thanks!

P.S. Not sure if pic came out here on the post....

Attachments

• What is it.jpg
    What is it.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 20
Re: Not sure where to put this, so this looks like a good place.

Okay, it did :P

hehe thanks

It looks like a dog with mange to me. It could be a wolf pup or a fox.

Hi Laylla,

Welcome to our forum. :)

We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, how they found the cass material, and how much of the work here they have read.

You can have a look through that board to see how others have done it.

I would agree that the coat texture appears to suggest the creature has mange - however the back legs seem far too long in proportion to the front legs, which makes me think that it isn't a dog or fox or typical canine.

Soluna said:
I would agree that the coat texture appears to suggest the creature has mange - however the back legs seem far too long in proportion to the front legs, which makes me think that it isn't a dog or fox or typical canine.

Agreed, it definitely looks canine apart from those proportions BUT in this picture we cannot see the exact length of the front legs due to the grass and the angle.

Yep, it definitely looks like a fox with a bad case of Sarcoptic Mange

After having looked up some more pictures of foxes with mange - I would agree that the comparison is spot on. The angle makes the front legs appear much shorter - however that seems to be a common trait in these canines, which is simply more noticeable when their coat is thinner, or non-existent! The photos of these poor animals in such a state, where they appear to be in such suffering, really tugs at my heart.

Back
Top Bottom