Storing the contents of the Cassiopaean Forum on your computer

Re: httrack

I would like to mention that the cass website is in the process of a complete makeover in organization (making it navigation friendly, lots more graphics, transcripts, etc) This is being done on the server though it is not yet accessible publicly (password protected). The day it is launched, all the old site will be deleted so those who download will have an obsolete site.

Re: httrack

This discussion relates also to this thread directly

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=11320.0

Cassiopaea Forum » Cassiopaean Sandbox » What's on your mind » Storing the contents of the Cassiopaean Forum on your computer

(maybe they should be merged?)

Are we seeing a possible fund raiser here?

Like others, I ripped a copy of the forum when I first found it, then ran it through a multitude of filters looking for kewl nuggets of info. I did ask if doing so was ok, and limited HTTrack to one connection (then went to bed) ...but as others have noted, if everyone started downloading the entire forum, it would be a real drain on bandwidth.

Since HTTrack is free, why not rip a copy of the site (once it's been upgraded) onto an RW DVD, dup it, and "sell" them for a donation? Once the archive master has been purchased, it's very easy to keep it current without straining the servers.

This would be very helpful to folks who need to read and harvest data off-line...and might raise a few bucks for the group?

Guardian said:
why not rip a copy of the site (once it's been upgraded) onto an RW DVD, dup it, and "sell" them for a donation?
The administrators of the site could eventually compress some parts of the site (according to the theme?) into a number of files (they don't need to use HTTrack since it is on their disks). The whole site however is much far beyond what a single DVD could contain I guess :)

Guardian said:
Are we seeing a possible fund raiser here?

... why not rip a copy of the site (once it's been upgraded) onto an RW DVD, dup it, and "sell" them for a donation?

I vote for this idea. If it is available, I would like to pre-order one copy.

I consider the online concept is no longer safe. Copy replication is the way to save as much as possible. By the way, some search engines are available for local use, on a personal hard drive. A simple copy&paste can serve to add all received content into this local search engine. Interesting because it can help users to locate references when writing posts.

Edit to add: by the way this same initiative I saw long time ago on http://cryptome.org/
With a donation, all content is delivered with 2*DVD.

Hello! I finally set HTTrack to be able to download but I wanted to be sure that it's ok to do this ? Or if another option might be better? I don't want to suck bandwidth too much can it support it ?
Or should I lower it is currently 25-35 KiB/s.
;)

Smallwood said:
This is one scenario that I'm also wary of. This place is about the only site/forum in the net that I frequent and that is for a good reason. In light of past attacks on Sott I'm thinking it is a very good idea to store the information somehow.

Maybe not every thread should be saved (that would be too much work), but atleast every stickied and otherwise important discussion. Also, the content of Cassiopaea.org would be most helpful to have in a downloadable packet (I made a thread about that, but had some problems with saving individual articles from cassiopaea.org, might have to collect them by hand).

I understand that this would be a huge task for anyone to do, and that Sott/Cass-staff is busy so maybe do it as a sort of community project between those who would volunteer from the forum members?

I too have been wondering about this and a downloadable packet i also think would be a great idea. Even if only the most important topics but an option to save a given thread and or a given area of the forum would be nice if there was some way to incorporate this as maybe even a plug in for a browser that would enable a save as choice between this like pdt or mp3/4 or word document, etc.

I agree +1000 !
A monthly downloadable format of the site hosted somewhere eles maybe. Or options to download different sections would be awsome
I can't find the way to download only one sub forum at a time with Httrack. Altough I searcher for different options on their website. In the meanwhile I'm dowloading everything :scared: !!
2 GB now but this might take a month or something !!
I don't have a powerfull knowledgeable 5d friend to ask questions to whenever I want to! Or at least I still don't know how!...

Back
Top Bottom