Stem Cell Therapy

I've been hearing about a relatively new and entirely natural product called "Stem Enhance" which claims to support the release of stem cells in the body. I first learned about it on the website of Dr. Rima Laibow whose work and recommendations I respect. Here are a couple of links:

_http://www.wealthbuilderssystem.com/site/index.asp?DL=140935&page=103264&ad=0

_http://healthandlight.com/stemenhance.htm?gclid=CIDsmY3c454CFQuenAodSX27KA

Stem cell 'major discovery' claimed

Stem cell 'major discovery' claimed
_http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25917270?r=1

Scientists in Japan showed stem cells can now be made quickly just by dipping blood cells into acid.

[...]

Acid bath

Now a study shows that shocking blood cells with acid could also trigger the transformation into stem cells - this time termed STAP (stimulus-triggered acquisition of pluripotency) cells.

This reminded me of the vitamin C treatments administered via blood transfusion (because of the stomach-gut limitation of vitamin C absorption) and how effective a treatment it was for (certain types of ?/all kinds of ?) cancer.

And so, a ketogenic diet which stimulates/increases the production/levels of uric acid, but I'm not clear if the uric acid build-up is in the blood? A brief web search on ketogenic diet and uric acid turned up the following wikipedia page:
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperuricemia

Hyperuricemia is a level of uric acid in the blood that is abnormally high.
[...]
A ketogenic diet impairs the ability of the kidney to excrete uric acid, due to competition for transport between uric acid and ketones.[9]

Yes, I just read it on sott: https://www.sott.net/article/352871-Stem-cell-therapy-The-innovations-and-potential-to-help-repair-and-regenerate-your-body

Finally, harvesting bone marrow is not interesting for numerous reasons:
- more white cells, wich are pro-inflammatory
- less mesenchymal cell, wich are more efficient on healing damaged tissues
- less easy procedure
- less cells with aging

"What we've discovered in more recent years is that a more plentiful source of stem cells is actually your fat tissue. [Body] fat can contain up to 500 times more cells than your bone marrow, as far as these mesenchymal type stem cells go.

One thing that's also critically important when you're talking about isolating the cells is the number of other cells that are going to be part of that population. When you're isolating a bone marrow sample, this actually is very high in white blood cells, which are pro-inflammatory."

"The benefit also of isolating [stem cells from] fat is that it's a relatively simple procedure. There's typically no shortage of fat tissue, especially in Americans," Comella says. "[Also], as you age, your bone marrow declines with regards to the number of cells in it, whereas the fat tissue maintains a pretty high number of stem cells, even in older individuals.

We can successfully harvest fat off of just about anyone, regardless of their age or how thin they are. The procedure is done under local anesthesia, meaning that the patient stays awake. They don't have to go under general anesthesia. We can harvest as few as 15 cubic centimeters of fat, which is a very small amount of fat, and still get a very high number of stem cells."

The researcher emphasizes on the quality of diet:

"We can grow much better and faster stem cells from that fat than [the fat from] somebody who eats a grain-based diet or is exposed to a lot of toxins in their diet," she says. "Their fat tends to be very fluffy, buttery yellow. The cells that come out of that are not necessarily as good a quality. It's just been very interesting. And of note, patients that are cigarette smokers, their fat is actually gray-tinged in color. The stem cells do not grow well at all."

"You have to create an appropriate environment for these cells to function in. If you are putting garbage into your body and you're constantly burdening your body with toxins, your stem cells are getting too distracted trying to fight off those toxins. By creating an appropriate environment, optimizing your diet and reducing exposure to toxins, that will allow the stem cells that we're putting in to really home in and focus on the true issue that we're trying to treat. "

And on the necessity of maintainance:

"The other thing we've discovered over the years is that [stem cell therapy] is not the type of thing where you take one dose and you're cured forever. Your tissues are constantly getting damaged ... You're going to have to repeat-dose and use those stem cells to your advantage.

When you think about a lizard that loses its tail, it takes two years to grow back the tail. Why would we put unrealistic expectations on the stem cells that we're trying to apply to repair or replace damaged tissue? This is a very slow process. This is something that will occur over months and may require repeat dosing."

A very fascinating and new path to explore.

And yes, Elisabeth, I read about this product on a french site and read very interesting stuffs. I'm currently doing bibliographic research on it. I'll let you know.

Laura said:
Gaby created a stem cell activating mixture that, used with near infrared light, might stimulate a person's own stem cells so that, along with the added oxygenation and circulatory help of pentox, could result in more permanent improvements within six months or so.

Here is the preliminary research and background about it:

After watching a video explaining stem cell activation through oral supplementation on December 2016, I proceeded to get all the relevant ingredients listed in the commercialized product. I got blueberry extract powder, green tea capsules, leucine powder, L-carnosine tablets, and vitamin D3 capsules. I started taking those every day, noticing a higher attention span and increased energy levels in days of high stress.

Prior to that, I was taking vitamin C powder for adrenal support and stress relief, glycine powder for tissue regeneration and glyphosate protection (it is also a very convenient sweetener) and spirulina powder for general heavy metal relief. To make things simpler, I decided to mix all the powders of the stem cell activation with my vitamin C, glycine and spirulina powders in one single cocktail. To my surprise, it (the spirulina) tasted much better that way. I took the cocktail with the green tea capsules and the L-carnosine. I didn't do the vitamin D3 since my levels were okay.

After reading Cracking the Stem Cell Code: What’s New, What’s Real & What’s next in Stem Cell Science, I decided to include some capsules of Aphanizomenon Flos aquae(AFA) extract into the cocktail of supplements.
Then, after learning the details of photobiomodulation and its potential to active stem cells, I included those.

Let's have a closer look to the preliminary research behind this stem cell activation protocol.

Spirulina Promotes Stem Cell Genesis and Protects against LPS Induced Declines in Neural Stem Cell Proliferation
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2864748/

Adult stem cells are present in many tissues including, skin, muscle, adipose, bone marrow, and in the brain. Neuroinflammation has been shown to be a potent negative regulator of stem cell and progenitor cell proliferation in the neurogenic regions of the brain. Recently we demonstrated that decreasing a key neuroinflammatory cytokine IL-1b in the hippocampus of aged rats reversed the age-related cognitive decline and increased neurogenesis in the age rats. We also have found that nutraceuticals have the potential to reduce neuroinflammation, and decrease oxidative stress. The objectives of this study were to determine if spirulina could protect the proliferative potential of hippocampal neural progenitor cells from an acute systemic inflammatory insult of lipopolysaccharide (LPS). To this end, young rats were fed for 30 days a control diet or a diet supplemented with 0.1% spirulina. On day 28 the rats were given a single i.p. injection of LPS (1 mg/kg). The following day the rats were injected with BrdU (50 mg/kg b.i.d. i.p.) and were sacrificed 24 hours after the first injection of BrdU. Quantification of the BrdU positive cells in the subgranular zone of the dentate gyrus demonstrated a decrease in proliferationof the stem/progenitor cells in the hippocampus as a result of the LPS insult. Furthermore, the diet supplemented with spirulina was able to negate the LPS induced decrease in stem/progenitor cell proliferation. In a second set of studies weexamined the effects of spirulina either alone or in combination with a proprietary formulation (NT-020) of blueberry, green tea, vitamin D3 and carnosine on the function of bone marrow and CD34+ cells in vitro. Spirulina had small effects on its own and more than additive effects in combination with NT-020 to promote mitochondrial respiration and/or proliferation of these cells in culture. When examined on neural stem cells in culture spirulina increased proliferation at baseline and protected against the negative influence of TNFa to reduce neural stemcell proliferation. These results support the hypothesis that a diet enriched with spirulina and other nutraceuticals may help protect the stem/progenitor cells from insults.

They discuss how inflammation in the brain acts negatively on its stem cells. They studied several nutraceuticals including spirulina, blueberry extract, green tea, vitamin D3 and carnosine. They noticed that spirulina had a positive effect in protecting stem cells, but in combination with green tea, vitamin D3 and carnosine, it worked much better.

Nutraceuticals Synergistically Promote Proliferation of Human Stem Cells
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16522169

A viable alternative to stem cell transplantation is to design approaches that stimulate endogenous stem cells to promote healing and regenerative medicine. Many natural compounds have been shown to promote healing; however, the effects of these compounds on stem cells have not been investigated. We report here the effects of several natural compounds on the proliferation of human bone marrow and human CD34 and CD133 cells. A dose-related effect of blueberry, green tea, catechin, carnosine, and vitamin D3 was observed on proliferation with human bone marrow as compared with human granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (hGM-CSF). We further show that combinations of nutrients produce a synergistic effect to promote proliferation of human hematopoietic progenitors. This demonstrates that nutrients can act to promote healing via an interaction with stem cell populations.

This research is focused on enhancing the body's own production of stem cells to promote healing. They studied the components of the stem cell cocktail that we are concerned with. Let's see what the authors have to say about the relevant ingredients:

Recent laboratory studies demonstrate that vitamin D3 has a dramatic effect on stimulating the proliferation of various forms of multipotent progenitor cells, particularly those involved with the immune system (14). Research on cellular senescence (the end of the life cycle of dividing cells) suggests that the dietary nutrient carnosine, found in muscle and brain of mammals, has the remarkable ability to rejuvenate cells approaching senescence, restoring normal appearance and extending cellular life span (15,16). Still other studies suggest dietary supplementation with foods high in antioxidants, such as blueberries, can prevent and even reverse cellular and behavioral parameters that decline as a function of aging (17,18). For example, dietary supplementation with 2% blueberry extract has produced both neuroprotective and neurorestorative effects in aged animals, perhaps as a result of modulation of cell signaling cascades (19). Furthermore, blueberry extract has been shown to increase neurogenesis in the aged rat brain (20). Green tea is a drink made from the steamed and dried leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant, a shrub native to Asia. Green tea has been widely consumed in Japan, China, and other Asian nations to promote good health for at least 3,000 years. Recently, scientists have begun to study its health effects in animal, laboratory, and observational human studies. Although active compounds within green tea extract have been shown to inhibit the growth of a number of tumor cell lines, they do not affect the growth of normal cells at similar concentrations (21,22) and actually may provide cellular protection from aging (23).

Now let's see what research has to say about one of my favorite supplements.

Leukaemia: Vitamin C regulates stem cells and cancer.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28869971

It emerges that high levels of vitamin C in blood-forming stem cells influence the number and function of the cells and affect the development of leukaemia, through binding to a tumour-suppressor protein, Tet2.
The substrates, intermediates and products of cellular metabolism have the potential to influence cellular identity and transformation to cancer1,2. Two papers (one by Agathocleous et al.3 online in Nature and the other by Cimmino et al.4 in Cell) now find a previously unknown role for one such metabolite, vitamin C, in stem-cell biology. They show that levels of vitamin C, also known as ascorbate, regulate the number and function of blood-forming haematopoietic stem cells, largely through effects on the Tet2 protein. This change, in turn, alters the progression of leukaemia.

Researchers’ ability to profile metabolites in stem cells has previously been limited by the fact that such analyses typically require millions of cells. Mouse blood cells, for instance, consist of less than 0.01% haematopoietic stem cells (HSCs)5, making it difficult to obtain sufficient numbers for study. Agatho­cleous et al. overcame this problem by develop­ing a method for analysing metabolites in as few as 10,000 cells. Using this technique, they found clear differences between the metabolic profiles of mouse blood cells at various stages of differentiation.

The authors discovered that levels of vitamin C are between 2 and 20 times higher in populations of immature stem cells and progenitor cells than in more-differenti­ated cell types. Consistent with this finding, they showed that expression of the gene Slc23a2, which encodes a protein that imports vitamin C, was higher in HSCs than in more-differentiated cells. Importantly, the researchers confirmed their observations in human blood cells.

In short, vitamin C may 'tell' faulty stem cells in the bone marrow to mature and die normally, instead of multiplying to cause blood cancers.

It seems that vitamin C plays a key role in stem cell biology in both physiolgy and disease:

Vitamin C in Stem Cell Biology: Impact on Extracellular Matrix Homeostasis and Epigenetics
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5415867/

Transcription factors and signaling molecules are well-known regulators of stem cell identity and behavior; however, increasing evidence indicates that environmental cues contribute to this complex network of stimuli, acting as crucial determinants of stem cell fate. l-Ascorbic acid (vitamin C (VitC)) has gained growing interest for its multiple functions and mechanisms of action, contributing to the homeostasis of normal tissues and organs as well as to tissue regeneration. Here, we review the main functions of VitC and its effects on stem cells, focusing on its activity as cofactor of Fe+2/αKG dioxygenases, which regulate the epigenetic signatures, the redox status, and the extracellular matrix (ECM) composition, depending on the enzymes' subcellular localization. Acting as cofactor of collagen prolyl hydroxylases in the endoplasmic reticulum, VitC regulates ECM/collagen homeostasis and plays a key role in the differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells towards osteoblasts, chondrocytes, and tendons. In the nucleus, VitC enhances the activity of DNA and histone demethylases, improving somatic cell reprogramming and pushing embryonic stem cell towards the naive pluripotent state. The broad spectrum of actions of VitC highlights its relevance for stem cell biology in both physiology and disease.

I mentioned above the book “Cracking the Stem Cell Code” by Christian Drapeau where he also talks about some of the nutrients in our stem cell activation cocktail. Drapeau reports in his book:

It was reported that antioxidants exracted from berries and other sources can support the proliferation of stem cells in vitro. In brief, a blend of blueberry, green tea, catechin, carnosine, and vitamin D3 increased by 70% the proliferation of bone marrow stem cells in vitro, as measured by a mitochondrial assay. In biology, many effects seen in a test tube do not mean anything in the body. Furthermore, given the ability of stem cells to proliferate through up to 20-50 generations after migrating in a tissue, which means that one stem cell will divide and lead to the formation of several thousand new cells, an increase of 70% may be of little physiological relevance. Nevertheless, these observations bring further support to the idea that diet and lifestyle are bound to affect stem cell physiology.

Probably the most interesting discovery in this field of stem cell nutrition, which has given rise to the concept of stem cell enhancers, pertains to the effect of an aquatic botanical called Aphanizomenon flos-aquae (AFA) on stem cell mobilization. AFA is a cyanophyta (blue-green algae, also referred to a cyanobacteria) that was recently shown to contain an L-selectin ligand that acts as a mild mobilizer of bone marrow stem cells. Consumption of 1 gram of a patented AFA extract was shown to increase the number of circulating stem cells by an average of 25%, which is the equivalent of approximately 3 million new stem cells in the blood-stream.

Which is why I decided to include AFA in the cocktail of supplements. The following study hints to its benefits:

Consequences of AphanizomenonFlos-aquae(AFA) extract (StemtechTM) on metabolic profile of patients with type 2 diabetes
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4485343/

Blue- green algae is one of the most nutrient dense foods which is rich in substances that have useful effects on human health. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of a water- soluble extract of the cyanophyta Aphanizomenon Flos-aquae (StemtechTM) as a functional supplement on CD markers, lipid profile, glucose levels as well as its side effects in Iranian patients with type 2 diabetes.

During this randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial 49 type 2 diabetic patients, aged between 20 and 60 years with a HbA1C ≥ 7.5 %, were allocated. Patients were divided into two groups of placebo and treated with an equal ratio 1:1. The subjects in StemtechTM group received one capsule of StemFlo (508 mg) before breakfast and two capsules of StemEnhance (500 mg) after each meal for a period of 12 weeks, and placebo group was instructed to take placebo with the same pattern. During the intervention period, subjects were asked to keep usual diet and prohibited to take any functional foods or dietary supplements. Metabolic panel has been measured as the primary outcome of study at the beginning and end of the intervention period via blood sampling.
StemtechTM supplementation for 12 weeks decreased fasting blood glucose (FBG) and Glycatedhemoglobin (HbA1c)...

Not to bad for an off-the-counter green supplement.

As for glycine, the research is still open on that one. There is preliminary research that is positive:

Scientists reverse aging in human cell lines and give theory of aging a new lease of life
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150526085138.htm

...the aging process in the mitochondrion is controlled by epigenetic regulation, not by mutations.
The researchers then looked for genes that might be controlled epigenetically resulting in these age-associated mitochondrial defects. Two genes that regulate glycine production in mitochondria, CGAT and SHMT2, were found. The researchers showed that by changing the regulation of these genes, they could induce defects or restore mitochondrial function in the fibroblast cell lines. In a compelling finding, the addition of glycine for 10 days to the culture medium of the 97 year old fibroblast cell line restored its respiratory function. This suggests that glycine treatment can reverse the age-associated respiration defects in the elderly human fibroblasts.

These findings reveal that, contrary to the mitochondrial theory of aging, epigenetic regulation controls age-associated respiration defects in human fibroblast cell lines. Can epigenetic regulation also control aging in humans? That theory remains to be tested, and if proven, could result in glycine supplements giving our older population a new lease of life.

As I mentioned above, it is preliminary research. I use the cocktail on environmentally and lifestyle challenging days or immediately afterwards, to promote healing. It doesn't taste bad. More like a green blueberry lemonade, if that makes any sense. The recipe is open for improvement according to people's experience and research.

I just finished C Drapeau's book. It was boring to read, as he repeats the same things during 200 pages and talks about AFA only in 1 page.

The interesting thing he says is at the end, when he gives the means to support our own stem cells production. Here is his list:
- stop tobacco
- stop stress
- good sleep
- good diet, stop additives
- intensive exercising
- anti-oxidants (berries, green leefy vegetables), omega-3, anti-inflam (ginger, curcumin, bromelin)
- AFA
- visualizing your cells being repared.

I introduced AFA in my supplements only since 1 week, for my hearing impairment. I'll see if it works. Nearly 1,5 years of keto diet and zero effect.
And you, Elizabeth, have you tried it?

Joe Rogan interviewed Dr. Neil Riordan and Mel Gibson on the subject of stem cells.

https://youtu.be/OtL1fEEtLaA

Dr. Riordan has a clinic in Panama, where the legislation is not as restrictive as in the US. Mel is there to make the procedure more known: his father was in a pretty bad shape at 92, and had what sounds like a miraculous recovery due to the stem cell therapy. He is now 100 years old and doing well. :cool2:
Mel has had some stem cell therapy himself and it seems to have been very effective.

Dr. Riordan uses mesenchymal stem cells. I missed him mentioning, if they are derived from patient's own fat cells, bone marrow, etc.

Refreshingly this Rogan -podcast is only about 1 hour long, instead of the usual 3 hour marathon. :)

hiker said:
Joe Rogan interviewed Dr. Neil Riordan and Mel Gibson on the subject of stem cells.

https://youtu.be/OtL1fEEtLaA

Dr. Riordan has a clinic in Panama, where the legislation is not as restrictive as in the US. Mel is there to make the procedure more known: his father was in a pretty bad shape at 92, and had what sounds like a miraculous recovery due to the stem cell therapy. He is now 100 years old and doing well. :cool2:
Mel has had some stem cell therapy himself and it seems to have been very effective.

Dr. Riordan uses mesenchymal stem cells. I missed him mentioning, if they are derived from patient's own fat cells, bone marrow, etc.

Refreshingly this Rogan -podcast is only about 1 hour long, instead of the usual 3 hour marathon. :)

Thanks for posting the podcast: Joe Rogan interviewed Dr. Neil Riordan and Mel Gibson on the subject of stem cells.

Very interesting and great interview with Dr. Riordan. I thought it was interesting how he described how stem cell therapy helped people with autism.
He goes on to say how the "golden" stem cells are isolated from the rest. He treated a man with a spinal cord injury paralyzed from the waist down who made a full recovery.

Here's Dr. Riordan's website in Panama:
https://www.cellmedicine.com/about-stem-cell-institute-panama/

Kicking this up to see if anyone else has recent experience with this therapy in whatever form.

I an scheduled in the next days for this treatment regarding a broken inner meniscus.

It will be a same day treatment where fat cells will be taken and then immediately processed for injection into knee via ultrasound imagimg for exact placement.

It is a knee injury where I have decided to live without the ACL but where all other conventional techniques say the meniscus needs to be removed.

It is a knee injury where I have decided to live without the ACL but where all other conventional techniques say the meniscus needs to be removed.

Actually, the conventional science recommends to not remove the meniscus because otherwise there's premature arthrosis without the cushioned meniscus between the bones.

Search "autohemotherapy" in the forum and at SOTT.net. Stem cell therapy in the knee could be helpful, but autohemotherapy can do a lot more good in the long-run and is practically free other than the price of getting your own blood injected intramuscularly.

Actually, the conventional science recommends to not remove the meniscus because otherwise there's premature arthrosis without the cushioned meniscus between the bones.

Search "autohemotherapy" in the forum and at SOTT.net. Stem cell therapy in the knee could be helpful, but autohemotherapy can do a lot more good in the long-run and is practically free other than the price of getting your own blood injected intramuscularly.
Unfortunately, here in Chile, the conventional thinking is that since a broken inner meniscus doesn't have adequate blood flow to repair itself like the outer meniscus, then the broke parts need to be removed or they will supposedly cause problems it they get loose and migrate into the joint. I was on the verge of having a full blown operation of manufacture a new ACL with material from another tendon and while they were at it, remove a portion of the inner meniscus but decided to investigate alternatives.

I have decided to go ahead with the stem cell treatment (SVF technique) and do the autohemotherapy to support it. I was surprised to find a number of clinics that offer autohemotherapy in Chile.

Gaby, do you have any recommendations regarding autohemotherapy after stem cell treatment? Start immediately or wait? The large or small version (autohemoterapia mayor o menor)? Treatment frequency and length?

Thanks for all your contributions and help you have given to SOTT and the forum.

Gaby, do you have any recommendations regarding autohemotherapy after stem cell treatment? Start immediately or wait? The large or small version (autohemoterapia mayor o menor)? Treatment frequency and length?

Once per week for months before you see improvement. You can start low: 3-5ml and build up to maximum 12ml per week.

Back
Top Bottom