Spelt and Flax Pizza Crust

Mark

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Here's a pizza crust recipe I came up with:

1.5 cups spelt flour (épeautre in French?)
1/2 cup flax meal (ground flax)
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds or flax seeds
2 tablespoons basil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 package of dry yeast (probably a teaspoon or thereabouts)
water
1 tablespoon brown sugar or maple syrup

Mix the yeast with some warm water and the sugar or syrup. Set it aside to let it kick off - it gets a foam on the surface when it starts to 'get busy'.

Mix all the other dry stuff together. Pour in the oil and the yeast mixture, and a dash of water. Start to mix it until all the dry stuff comes together, adding a little water as necessary. Once it forms into a ball then keep mixing. If you're mixing by hand like me (who is dough-mixer-deprived and seeking Federal aid to no avail so far, there is no Mixer Benefits program yet, gotta call my congressperson about that) then roll up your sleep and put some elbow grease into it. I think cooks call this kneeding, but I don't kneed it with my hands, I just use a big spoon. I don't want dough under my finger nails. Yuck. Anyway, it needs to be mixed for at least about five minutes. If you have a dough mixer then great! Let 'er rip for a while, until the dough starts to stretch decently (instead of breaking off) when pulled.

Then coat a big bowl with a little oil and put the dough in it and coat the dough with a little oil too. Cover the dough ball with a little plastic wrap on the top. Put a kitchen towel over the bowl and put it in a slightly warm oven, below 100 degrees for sure or the heat might kill the yeast, and let it sit there for 45 minutes to an hour, to rise.

After that it's ready. Drop it on a pizza pan and spread it out. I use parchment paper on the pizza pan, makes for easier clean up and the pizza doesn't stick when cooked either.

I usually top the pizza with olive oil, diced garlic, and plenty of basil. From there it varies. I've used steamed spinach, chicken, ground beef, and even steamed salmon. We once made a dessert pizza with strawberries and cream cheese too. That was good.

That sounds like a good type blood type A pizza crust.
I'll give this a try.

Thanks

Tina said:
That sounds like a good type blood type A pizza crust.
I'll give this a try.

Thanks
Works for Type O secretors too :)

Back
Top Bottom