Specific hormonal problems

C

Cleopatre VII

I would like to share my friend's health story in hopes of getting advice and suggestions, for which I would be very grateful. Perhaps some of you have been through something similar or are a doctor dealing with a similar case?

My friend has had hormonal problems from a young age. She had her first period at the age of 15. After that, those periods were very irregular, there were times when she didn't have a period for six months or even eight months. When she was 19 she was diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome.

At the age of 22, she underwent surgery in which one fallopian tube was removed because of a cyst. These cysts appear much more frequently in her, both in the ovaries and in the fallopian tubes. They burst and hurt a lot. They can also be an immediate threat to health or life if they are in the wrong place. They may require emergency surgery.

A friend was taking hormone therapy, but she usually reacted allergically to various types of hormone medications. There were periods when she felt fine and nothing bothered her, her periods were regular. However, these problems usually come back.

A few days ago she lost consciousness due to pain caused by the cyst and went to the hospital. Removal of the fallopian tube was considered, but eventually only drug treatment was implemented. Now she is at home and taking pain medication. This cyst has probably started to rupture or will rupture soon.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Is your friend overweight - that is one risk factor for PCOS?

If so, loosing weight would defiunitely make a difference: There is also some evidence suggesting that a mild to moderate keto-type diet might help, probably also by reducing weight, but also in a more direct manner.

Iodine deficiency is implicated in all the reproductive cystic diseases. I've read these studies many times, but they are not showing up when I search for them now. Here's a basic summary. In America, I've seen stats of up to 97% of the population being iodine deficient. There's a book called The Iodine Crisis that details some of this. This protocol is a good one to look at for tackling iodine. I have PCOS and am mostly asymptomatic now, but I couldn't pinpoint one specific action I took to get there. Iodine is one of many protocols I've undertaken but it's one I think is highly important for PCOS and often not mentioned by doctors.

Thank you so much for your answers and advice!

Do you know what your friends diet is like?
I will take a look at my friend's diet. Thank you very much for recommending the book.

Iodine deficiency is implicated in all the reproductive cystic diseases. I've read these studies many times, but they are not showing up when I search for them now. Here's a basic summary. In America, I've seen stats of up to 97% of the population being iodine deficient. There's a book called The Iodine Crisis that details some of this. This protocol is a good one to look at for tackling iodine. I have PCOS and am mostly asymptomatic now, but I couldn't pinpoint one specific action I took to get there. Iodine is one of many protocols I've undertaken but it's one I think is highly important for PCOS and often not mentioned by doctors.
Also, thank you very much for the links. They can be useful. Very interesting review on the relationship of iodine to hormonal problems.

Is your friend overweight - that is one risk factor for PCOS?
Thank you for your answer! She weighs 58 kg at 168 cm. I know that in her youth she suffered from anorexia.

As Nicklebleu wrote above, weight is one risk factor, but not the main issue. In that respect, it seems that a sugar problem may be involved.

I had surgery at 26 yrs old to remove a very large cyst, one ovary and fallopian tube. I had further issues as the years went on including endometriosis and adenomyosis.

One of my daughters had to have surgery for this same reason some 4 or 5 years ago (maybe longer), and she never had weight issues but does have (as do I) problems with insulin/sugar.

Back in 2017, I was prescribed metformin for my sugar instability. I did some research on this medication and discovered that it has beneficial effects on those with PCOS. There is, as might be expected, some dispute about this, but overall, I can say that a LOT of things improved for me and my daughter after we began taking metformin, including hormone issues.

As mentioned already, diet can be very important. Eliminating gluten and dairy from the diet might be a first step. Eggs and nuts can also be problematical.

As Nicklebleu wrote above, weight is one risk factor, but not the main issue. In that respect, it seems that a sugar problem may be involved.

I had surgery at 26 yrs old to remove a very large cyst, one ovary and fallopian tube. I had further issues as the years went on including endometriosis and adenomyosis.

One of my daughters had to have surgery for this same reason some 4 or 5 years ago (maybe longer), and she never had weight issues but does have (as do I) problems with insulin/sugar.

Back in 2017, I was prescribed metformin for my sugar instability. I did some research on this medication and discovered that it has beneficial effects on those with PCOS. There is, as might be expected, some dispute about this, but overall, I can say that a LOT of things improved for me and my daughter after we began taking metformin, including hormone issues.

As mentioned already, diet can be very important. Eliminating gluten and dairy from the diet might be a first step. Eggs and nuts can also be problematical.
Thank you so much for sharing your story and for your advice.

I know that due to the complex pathophysiology of PCOS, a variety of medications are used to treat this condition including oral contraceptives, acne medications, diuretic spironolactone, and blood sugar-lowering metformin.

My friend's sugar levels are supposedly not too high, although she does manifest insulin resistance. In some studies, her sugar levels were minimally elevated.

Thank you so much for the metformin. I'll get a better idea about this issue. As for my friend's diet, she told me today that she doesn't follow it fully because she has little time. She works a lot and sometimes eats what she has to eat to eat anything. Obviously this is starting to do some damage. Sometimes nausea or allergies. I will try to make her pay more attention to this issue. Reading the forum there were several different diets discussed. What would be the most recent and tested directions to follow?

Thank you so much for your advice once again! And I am also thankful to other members of this forum for their kind attention to such a personal issue.

PS. I will add that my friend is not 100% sure it's PCOS. These can also be hormonal problems that closely resemble PCOS, but this is not a typical course.

Another thing that helps is indole-3-carbinol.

I read one book by a woman doctor who struggled with this issue and many related ones. She solved most of her problems by eating a very specific diet: meat and cruciferous vegetables. She would eat like 4 cups of cooked broccoli with a moderate sized piece of meat of some sort every day. No grains, no dairy.

Another thing that helps is indole-3-carbinol.

I read one book by a woman doctor who struggled with this issue and many related ones. She solved most of her problems by eating a very specific diet: meat and cruciferous vegetables. She would eat like 4 cups of cooked broccoli with a moderate sized piece of meat of some sort every day. No grains, no dairy.
Thank you very much for your advice. I will reply in detail later on. Actually I am on very strong pain relieving medications (paracetamol, metamizol, injectable fentanyl), and I am unable to think clearly.

Probably every woman knows what pain can be. Sometimes I wonder why women have been targeted in such a special way? To get stronger than men this way?

Thank you very much for your advice. I will reply in detail later on. Actually I am on very strong pain relieving medications (paracetamol, metamizol, injectable fentanyl), and I am unable to think clearly.

I understand. Heat can help. A nice infrared bulb in a lamp shining on the area is very soothing. Also, a soak in a hot epsom salts bath.

Probably every woman knows what pain can be. Sometimes I wonder why women have been targeted in such a special way? To get stronger than men this way?

I don't think women have been targeted by nature, but certainly by the arbiters of diet and medicine. Changing to an almost ketogenic diet would possibly help you a lot. No grains, no dairy. Eggs and nuts are problematic but you would need to be tested for that.

Another thing, my daughter's doctor prescribed progesterone cream for her to use from day 14 of her cycle to the last day, i.e. two weeks per month. She did that for about 3 or 4 months and that appears to have helped get her hormones balanced along with her diet changes.

I understand. Heat can help. A nice infrared bulb in a lamp shining on the area is very soothing. Also, a soak in a hot epsom salts bath.

I don't think women have been targeted by nature, but certainly by the arbiters of diet and medicine. Changing to an almost ketogenic diet would possibly help you a lot. No grains, no dairy. Eggs and nuts are problematic but you would need to be tested for that.
Thank you so much for your advice. The heat does indeed help. I actually have a conscience about not following my diet. I will take this comment most to heart and intend to keep a close eye on the effects of this change.

Another thing, my daughter's doctor prescribed progesterone cream for her to use from day 14 of her cycle to the last day, i.e. two weeks per month. She did that for about 3 or 4 months and that appears to have helped get her hormones balanced along with her diet changes.
I was also once prescribed progesterone, but my body reacted badly to it. Maybe I will try it again though. Thank you for sharing your daughter's personal story.

Thank you so much for your advice. The heat does indeed help. I actually have a conscience about not following my diet. I will take this comment most to heart and intend to keep a close eye on the effects of this change.

I was also once prescribed progesterone, but my body reacted badly to it. Maybe I will try it again though. Thank you for sharing your daughter's personal story.

The bioidentical kind seems to be best tolerated. Wild yam cream. Here is one such product.

The bioidentical kind seems to be best tolerated. Wild yam cream. Here is one such product.

Thank you very much! I will try to test it paying close attention to my allergies. Will let you know about the results.

Back
Top Bottom