Spagetti w/ Meat Sauce

RyanX

The Living Force
This is a pretty easy and common recipe, but one I find myself making a lot of, especially for the kids. It is one of their favorites and mine.

Warning - for those with nightshade allergies, it would be best to avoid this recipe.

Ingredients:

1 lb grass fed beef
2 green peppers
4 carrots
2 celery sticks
3 large kale leaves
1 small/medium zucchini
2 cloves garlic
1 quart tomato sauce
3 heaping tbsp dried basil
2 heaping tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp rosemary
1 tsp sea salt
dash pepper
10-12 oz gluten-free pasta
olive oil

Defrost the beef if necessary.

Cut up the green peppers, carrots, celery and zucchini into 1-2" chunks and place in a food processor.

Wash and tear the kale leaves (omitting the stems) and place them in the food processor.

Process these until there are no noticeable large chunks of veggies.

Cut up the other half of the onion and place it in a cast iron pan along with the beef. Cook this on medium-low heat for about 15 minutes or until light brown. You'll want to take a spatula and cut the beef into chunks while it is cooking.

On another burner, place the processed ingredients in a large pot. Add tomato sauce, salt, spices and seasoning. I'm never very precise when it comes to the quantities of seasoning herbs and it always turns out fine. You may want to experiment here. Turn the burner on medium-low and let cook covered for about an hour. When the meat is browned, dump this in the pot too, juice included.

One note on the tomato sauce: I don't' trust anything that comes in a can due to the BPA linings they use. I use a dried tomato powder to form my sauce, otherwise one could use store-bought sauce from a glass jar. Just some things to consider.

In a separate large pot, prepare your gluten free pasta. I tend to favor a particular quinoa/corn based spaghetti pasta, but I think rice pasta would turn out fine too. Bring a pot of water to a boil first and then add the pasta. I've discovered about 10-12oz of dried pasta is sufficient to give a good sized portions to 3-4 people. You might want to experiment with this.

After the pasta has cooked for about 15-20 minutes dump into a colander to drain. Dump the remaining water out of the pot and liberally add some olive oil at the bottom. Shake whatever water is left out of the pasta sitting in the colander and dump it back in the pot with the olive oil. Stir the pasta around in the olive oil for a bit. Basically you want to have a light coating of olive oil on your pasta. You can also add a bit of salt and basil flakes to the pasta at this point too if desired.

Serve both pasta and sauce in desired portions and enjoy!

You will have leftover spaghetti sauce. Save it for the next meal and prepare the pasta as needed.

Thanks a lot for posting this Ryan, I actually bought some gluten free pasta the other day and was thinking about how I would go about making some pasta sauce to go with it. This is perfect, because I just found a local farm who slaughter and sell the cattle there (they have a market at the front of the farm which is the only way they can do this legally) and have had a person I know vouch that it is a great place to buy beef, so I'm gonna try this recipe out in the next few days.

Don't know if I have allergy to nightshade yet, as I'm only 1/3 of the way through Ultramind Solution, so only implemented some of the things he has talked about as of now. But I have definitely started to notice some foods that my body reacts negatively too.

Pasta sauce is fine without green or red peppers.

Laura said:

This is true. One variation I've made is just to add an extra zucchini and omit the peppers.

RyanX said:
Laura said:

This is true. One variation I've made is just to add an extra zucchini and omit the peppers.

Why no red and green peppers? Is this for taste value? It doesn't work well together?

DanielS said:
RyanX said:
Laura said:

Why no red and green peppers? Is this for taste value? It doesn't work well together?

Well, the times I omitted them it was just due to lack of having peppers in my frig/freezer. I do a lot of my own vegetable freezing, so I like to use up what I have on hand. At that point I had no peppers but extra zucchini. Some people cannot tolerate nightshade vegetables too, especially people with inflammation problems.

I didn't really notice much difference in taste. The peppers/zucchini just add extra texture to the sauce, IMO. You could try experimenting with different veggie combinations. This is just what I came up with.

Hey I finally made this recipe last night and it was delicious with no side-effects. What I mean by side-effects is everytime I've eaten spaghetti in the past I get bloated and gassy, but not last night! My only recommendation is maybe toning down a bit on the oregano, basil, it added a real strong smell to the pasta sauce that may have been a bit overwhelming. But either way, anyone can play around with it, add, take off, alter as they please.

But a definite :thup:

Back
Top Bottom