Sott on google

G

Gertrudes

I was checking how high Sott ranked on google's search engine under "alternative news", I don't know how high it ranks in other parts of the world, but in UK it appears on the third page. I figure that "alternative news" may be a relatively popular word combination search, but you surely have the knowledge and means to know that much better then me. In any case, how can we bump it up? Could it be done if we all do a search under "alternative news" everyday and then click on Sott net? It worked pretty well for the cassiopaea-cult.com website which is now, and has been for a while, the very first website on the first page of google.

The other thought that occurred to me is that we could try to get Sott on sites that basically function as a database for other alternative news websites. My search so far only showed Sott on _http://mathaba.net/www/news/, but there are several other databases appearing on the first pages of google, and this is also when searching under "alternative news".
Of course this would likely mean being put in the same bag as several disinfo sites, but perhaps the outcome of getting an increasing number of people to have access to Sott is well worth it? In the end most people won't initially know how to discern wheat from chaff because very few have been exposed to real, truthful, distilled information, and just giving more people the opportunity to actually get to know Sott.net, simple as it may sound, basically for them to know that Sott exists, can go a long way in spreading the word and over the long term helping many to build up discernment?

Maybe you have already discussed and even worked on this, and apologies if it has already been mentioned on the forum. I'm not aware that it has, and a search hasn't shown anything either, so I'll just leave the thoughts for what they're worth.

Where something shows up in a google search is very individualized for you unless you use an anonymous proxy server. Goggle records the sites your IP, and IP block, visit regularly, and customizes your search accordingly.

If you use an anonymous proxy in the US to search "alternative news" SOTT comes up #14 of about 693,000,000 results. This is a pretty awesome ranking considering the fact that the word "alternative" is only in the meta description, and not anywhere on the page.

If you are getting lower rankings for SOTT on goggle than an anonymous proxy search, it means goggle has chosen these other sites for you based on your cookies and/or IP's browsing history.

Most of the sites that rank higher than SOTT have "alternative news" in the file name, and/or have goggle ads on their site, both elements of Google's ranking system, so it would be difficult, although not impossible, to bump up the search phrase "alternative news" BUT the phrase would have to be included, in text, on the top portion of the page.

Ah, thanks Guardian! I have very basic computer skills so your explanations are really helpful.

I don't know whether it would be worth adding "alternative news" on the top portion of the page, though. It seems to be a popular word combination, but I can't really tell since I don't know how to actually check the data.

Guardian said:
If you use an anonymous proxy in the US to search "alternative news" SOTT comes up #14 of about 693,000,000 results. This is a pretty awesome ranking considering the fact that the word "alternative" is only in the meta description, and not anywhere on the page.

It's in the <title> tags, too.

Does it actually HAVE to be included as text inside <h1> tags or something? I just don't know where the heck to put it...

Mr. Scott said:
Does it actually HAVE to be included as text inside <h1> tags or something? I just don't know where the heck to put it...

To get us any higher than we are, it would have to appear as text, somewhere towards the top of the page. If we want to improve the ranking, perhaps the "Latest News" heading could become the "Latest Alternative News"?

If you do a proxy search on "Puppet Masters" (no quotes) we're on the first page (#10 out of 2,280,000 results) which is pretty kewl since 8 of the other 9 listings are for a Heinlein book and/or movie.

Even cooler, a proxy search on "Earth Changes" (no quotes) returns SOTT at #7 of about 252,000,000 results :)

Guardian said:
Mr. Scott said:

To get us any higher than we are, it would have to appear as text, somewhere towards the top of the page. If we want to improve the ranking, perhaps the "Latest News" heading could become the "Latest Alternative News"?

Wouldn't "Latest News" bring us more readers than "Latest Alternative News"? I really don't know, this is only a guess. On the top header, however, we could add "Alternative news", or even "World News", and bring members attention to this so that everyone starts doing a search every day under each of those, including the already present "Latest News ", and to keep the activity up for a while.
The only "space" to put it that so far as occurred to me would be near "Big Pharma: Big Business", or even substituting it for a period of time and see if that helps the ranking.

Gertrudes said:
Wouldn't "Latest News" bring us more readers than "Latest Alternative News"?

Probably not, because SOTT is an Aggregator....but "Alternative News" is doable.

Guardian said:
Where something shows up in a google search is very individualized for you unless you use an anonymous proxy server. Goggle records the sites your IP, and IP block, visit regularly, and customizes your search accordingly.

Couldn't this be switched off via deactivating the google web-protocol, so that it doesn't show personal results based on history and search activity?

Gawan said:
Couldn't this be switched off via deactivating the google web-protocol, so that it doesn't show personal results based on history and search activity?

Nope, which is kinda scary. As far as I can tell, there is no way to make google stop recording and integrating search history's from both individual IP's AND entire IP blocks.

Guardian said:

I changed it. We'll see what happens now.

Guardian said:
Even cooler, a proxy search on "Earth Changes" (no quotes) returns SOTT at #7 of about 252,000,000 results :)

Yeah, our Earth Changes category is a very popular landing page!

Perhaps also substitute the logo images's alt tag with a description such as 'alt news', instead of the current imagepath that seems to figure in the 'alt' tag.

Gawan said:
Use _https://startpage.com . :D

Guardian said:
Gertrudes said:
Wouldn't "Latest News" bring us more readers than "Latest Alternative News"?

Probably not, because SOTT is an Aggregator....but "Alternative News" is doable.

Plus we'd be competing with hundreds of established MSM news sites who have top google rankings.

Just to add looking at google keyword tool here are some other relevant keywords:

Keyword Global Monthly Searches Local Monthly Searches (UK)
alternative news 60500 5400
alternate news 12100 590
unbiased news 12100 480
underground news 27100 4400
independent media 33100 3600
interesting news 49500 3600
alternative media 49500 4400
conspiracy news 49500 480
news alternative 60500 5400
independent news 90500 18100

"Signs of the Times Independent Unbiased Alternative News" Could work for the Title

Back
Top Bottom