Some observations on the road down

D Rusak

Jedi Council Member
Well, here in sunny Philadelphia I'm finally starting to see some of the things that people have been talking about for some time now. We had a brainstorming meeting at work, since my work has frozen some funding and asked for 3% reductions in spending in other areas. The conversation gradually shifted towards things we could do...I decided to take some preemptive action and offer to reduce my [part-time] hours by a few, instead of waiting around for my job to be canceled. To be honest, I don't really do a whole lot at work except read. Luckily (well, on purpose-fully, as I've seen this sort of thing coming as I'm sure most of you have) I've decided to diversify my "stocks", as it were: I work several jobs part-time. If one job falls through then there should be some back up. I prefer a more varied lifestyle anyway, and this is the sort of thing we do in the arts field.

Anyway, stories from my friends: one guy in a group I play in had 7 people laid off in his office area on Friday. He's a market analyst and feels as though the writing is on the wall for him eventually. He was joking around about having to become a full-time musician, but he is genuinely worried about his future, not the least because he only has a work visa, and is from "I-ran". Another friend (who has a green card through marriage) has asked me to help her find a job through some contacts I have. She was hired in August for a company that processes applications to study medicine in the US. She really likes her job. She confided to me this weekend that she had not one assignment to perform all of last week. Apparently, in August, the company announced that it would reduce its staff by 25%. They offered a nice package to anyone who would voluntarily leave instead of being laid-off. Some 40% of the company decided to call it quits, so the company had to hire 15% new people. Now it's looking like the company is going to let some of these people go- not as many people want to study in the US, also there is less money for scholarships for these students. Fewer applications= fewer people needed. At my sister's workplace outside of NYC, things have not been well. Her job as an analyst for a company that insures mortgages and mortgage providers is pretty secure- dealing with the crisis that's going on, they have had loads of work. They have not been hiring many extra people to help with the increased work load, however, and her boss sounds to me like she might be a bit of a psychopath. She also would prefer to live closer to our parents in another state. She feels afraid to leave her job, however, because scores of people in the surrounding Westchester County area have lost their jobs and the job market is so thin. There are people applying for the same position she has (entry level- she got it less than a month after graduating from college with her bachelor's degree) who have PhD's.

Most people are talking about the bad job market, and of course all the banker nonsense, and "elections", blah blah blah. Most everyone is looking to save money these days (not a bad idea in general) so we are coming up with ideas to do so: having cooking parties where we all make a large amount of a dish and everyone brings some home; starting a garden among my friends for next year; carpulls; sharing rooms, let alone apartments; etc. Networking seems to be spreading now that people have to make do with less, and I'm definitely encouraged by this.

So, keeping my eyes open...one way or another, the ride seems like it's starting, and it's going to be an interesting one....

Interesting post, D, considering that up until a few days ago at least, there were still adverts on the Yahoo! mail site for emigration to the U.S. - "Would you like a green card?" "Are you eligible?" - or words to that effect.

The 'Euronews' site seemed to have a permanent header for this advert, which they have now changed to a "Win a Green Card - Click here to enter!" "Get your United States Green Card - Click here to register online!" footer.

Despite the ongoing problems in the U.S, as you've described, and as have been described by posted comments in other blogs, the U.S still seems to be trying to entice people in.

Couple more obs, while I'm thinking about it.
For those of you who are into sports, the Philadelphia Phillies baseball team won the world series on Wednesday. It was a big deal because Philadelphia teams have a notoriously lousy performing record- no team in the city has won a major sports championship in 25 years, and the Phillies have the all-time worst record and most losses in baseball history. Anyway, for one reason or another (bread and circuses, anyone?) people were really hyped up about the series. I was sitting at home doing some practicing when I guess the game was finished and the P's won- instant noise. Everyone started yelling, running up and down the stairs in my apartment building, and then on the street. Thousands of people were on the street. Things became ugly as the crowd turned to vandalism. There are some videos here:
Mob loots luggage store _http://www.philly.com/philly/video/33593064.html
Mob Destroys Septa Bus Stop Shelter _http://www.philly.com/philly/video/33593069.html
Mob Flips Car _http://www.philly.com/philly/video/33593074.html

I work very near where these videos were filmed and can attest to the fact that there was a huge mess on the streets on Thursday morning. Street signs knocked over, bus shelters broken, trash everywhere and lots of windows (both on buildings and cars) bashed in. My reaction to all this was one of sadness mixed with disgust. I had just read this article http://www.sott.net/articles/show/168050-Italians-flood-Rome-in-anti-Berlusconi-protest before the whole thing started, and feel sad, pained- all of this energy that could have been used for something REALLY useful, like protesting the jokers in office, the banker bailout, the patriot act, etc. instead was just let run completely amuck. And this was supposed to be a celebration! As a side note, some friends who were a little bit closer to the stadium noted that of the people on the street, about half were holding up Phillies signs, and the other half were holding up Obama signs. People can sense they want change but are too ignorant to see what's really going on- c'mon, McCain/Palin is frightening, but look at Obama's voting record, who funds him, etc. Should be interesting on election day- many places (be it schools, workplaces, etc.) are closing early- not just to accommodate voting, but there seems to be a sense that some craziness is going to happen, and people don't want to get stuck in it.

D Rusak said:
... People can sense they want change but are too ignorant to see what's really going on- c'mon, ...

I must admit, your post got me thinking. I smiled and wondered if I do allow myself some apathy in life. Question to myself is: does none anticipation contain an element of apathy? I think working on awareness can bring on some depression. Attempting to keep level, one of my favorite sayings is:
"I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused. " : Elvis Costello :cool2:

I just got laid off today, I'm was in new home sales, there's a shocker, just my luck, picking an occupation a couple years ago with so much promise.

In the evenings, after dark, I love to sit outside, in the dark, and stargaze, which after losing a job, is kinda comforting in this STS world. I've noticed, what seems to be, more and more meteors. Does anyone else notice more, or is it that I'm more aware now, of the upcoming events? It would be in the past, that if you seen one in an evening, it would be considered lucky, now I'm seeing three, four, and five.

Ahh man, I’m sorry to hear that Dick. From all I can gather I think very, very few are safe from the unemployment line. I've lost it all before (material possessions). Like ole Slick Willy (Bill Clinton) said, "I feel your pain". Please know that you are not alone. I have “heard” many words of what has been called the upcoming Summer of Hell 2009. We will see if the world economy comes crashing down, or not. Wishfully, I hope not but I see few if any indications otherwise.

Dick said:
.. I've noticed, what seems to be, more and more meteors. ...

This comment prompted this post. Yes, I have noticed a few falling stars with the last couple weeks.

I'm fine, it's a lesson :), I was an engineer before this job, and I'll just have to find something that pays the bills for now. Like the C's say everything is a lesson, maybe it was suppost to be this way, so I don't get complacent.

I do believe this economy, is an illusion as the C's have said. People in the Matrix actually thinking what there doing from day to day is making a difference. Its really kinda sad...... :(, thats another reason I like sitting out in the dark looking at the stars.

Back
Top Bottom