Some coconut resources: dairy free yogurt, ice cream

Gimpy

The Living Force
This was prompted by an ad in our local organic grocery store for dairy free ice cream and yogurts. I've managed to dig around a bit on the coconut versions, not on the rice milk yet. ;)

Here's a good resource for making dairy free ice cream home made: http://www.godairyfree.org/Recipes/Dairy-Free-Desserts/Basic-Vanilla-Coconut-Ice-Cream-Vegan-Soy-Free-Gluten-Free.html

Here's one for coconut yogurt home made: http://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/2009/04/25/homemade-coconut-milk-yogurt/

Commercial coconut yogurt link: http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/so_delicious_coconutyogurt_plain.html

The link to godairyfree.org has a number of resources and other recipes/cook books for numerous food allergies to sift through. The small foot print family also has numerous links to sites that offer organic and pesticide free products not in cans....her resource for powdered coconut milk in bulk is very interesting.

Parents with children may find this helpful in providing 'treats' without endangering them with allergens. RyanX I was thinking of your daughters when I saw the ads from the local store...some of these may go a ways to helping them adjust without feeling deprived of goodies. :D (I can't remember if all of them had allergies or just one?)

Anyway....its good to know there are options!

Enjoy....I'll dig into the rice cream stuff a bit later...

Gimpy said:
Parents with children may find this helpful in providing 'treats' without endangering them with allergens. RyanX I was thinking of your daughters when I saw the ads from the local store...some of these may go a ways to helping them adjust without feeling deprived of goodies. :D (I can't remember if all of them had allergies or just one?)

Anyway....its good to know there are options!

Wow, thanks for this tip Gimpy! :) I think I have an old ice-cream maker somewhere that I got a long time ago as a gift. I don't think I've ever used it, but I really want to try this recipe now. I can't imagine the look on my daughter's faces when they see ice cream for desert since I've told them that ice cream a big no-no in the past. It's just my oldest daughter that has dairy allergies, but I don't keep ice cream in the house for anybody.

I'll probably substitute xylitol for sugar, but this should still be good.

Thanks again!

This sounds promising. I'm sure it can't be too hard to find organic unsweetened coconut milk without sodium or potassium metabisulfite or any other preservative. We could replace the sugar with xylitol, and throw in some berries!

Wait, someone has already thought of that!
_http://cookincanuck.blogspot.com/2010/04/blueberry-coconut-ice-cream-gluten.html

Here we sometimes (rarely) have sorbet as a treat. We get it at the organic food shop. It's made with pure fruit juice, water and sugar. I think you can do the same with xylitol.

Coconut is not good for everyone, so make sure that you test it before.

The other day I made a sort of flan/pudding using gelatin powder, rice milk, xylitol and strawberrries. It was yummy! We are going to experiment a bit more using vanilla next time. Perhaps you can try this out too. It reminded me of the gelatin candies you get at the store. It is not entirely like American yoghurt, but the closest we've managed to make so far.

I'll share the exact recipe once we've got it just right. The rice milk is not mixing completely with the gelatin, and I think it's because it's not creamy enough.

Ailén said:
Here we sometimes (rarely) have sorbet as a treat. We get it at the organic food shop. It's made with pure fruit juice, water and sugar. I think you can do the same with xylitol.

My daughter is just crazy about sorbets and the way I do it is : I put frozen fruits (rawberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, bananas (instead of sugar)) and the white of an egg in my machine and bingo in 2 minutes we have a wonderful sorbet.

Ailén said:

Coconut is not good for everyone, so make sure that you test it before.

The other day I made a sort of flan/pudding using gelatin powder, rice milk, xylitol and strawberrries. It was yummy! We are going to experiment a bit more using vanilla next time. Perhaps you can try this out too. It reminded me of the gelatin candies you get at the store. It is not entirely like American yoghurt, but the closest we've managed to make so far.

I'll share the exact recipe once we've got it just right. The rice milk is not mixing completely with the gelatin, and I think it's because it's not creamy enough.

To make the mix creamier, try using 2 Tablespoons of arrowroot. :D I'll post the rest of the recipes for rice based desserts later today.

Back
Top Bottom