Solar System anomalies & Earth Changes

Yes carbon is what he meant. Don't know how I cam up with carbohydrates. :lol:

Pashalis said:
Yes carbon is what he meant. Don't know how I cam up with carbohydrates. :lol:

Actually he speaks about carbon black or soot (сажа in Russian) found deep in a glacier and not about "eruption of several Vulcanos" but about several eruptions of Etna.

First Earth Changes, and now "meteorite threat". Putin has to know that people are paying attention to what he says, so even if he talks to a specific group of workers, he probably says it as if it is said to an entire world.

Projects to shield Earth from meteorites need to be implemented universally — Putin

http://tass.com/science/974862

There are numerous different projects, which, according to experts, are feasible, Putin said

Work on large-scale projects to protect the Earth from meteorites should be carried out in cooperation with other countries, Russian President Vladimir Putin said at a meeting with workers of the Chelyabinsk compressor plant.

Commenting on the 2013 Chelyabinsk meteorite incident, the head of state noted that this event had not been foreseen. "Although today experts try to take into account the trajectory of the most dangerous objects [from outer space], there are numerous protection mechanisms. Many concepts are futuristic and still in the works nevertheless they exist. These include splitting these objects using various explosive devices, including nuclear ones, sending corresponding probes to land on these objects and transport them aside," the president said, adding that there are numerous different projects, which, according to experts, are feasible.

"So far, thank God, there seems to be nothing serious, but we will be working on that. However, these are such large-scale projects that need to be implemented together with our partners," Putin concluded.

Keit said:
First Earth Changes, and now "meteorite threat". Putin has to know that people are paying attention to what he says, so even if he talks to a specific group of workers, he probably says it as if it is said to an entire world.

Projects to shield Earth from meteorites need to be implemented universally — Putin

http://tass.com/science/974862

There are numerous different projects, which, according to experts, are feasible, Putin said

Work on large-scale projects to protect the Earth from meteorites should be carried out in cooperation with other countries, Russian President Vladimir Putin said at a meeting with workers of the Chelyabinsk compressor plant.

Commenting on the 2013 Chelyabinsk meteorite incident, the head of state noted that this event had not been foreseen. "Although today experts try to take into account the trajectory of the most dangerous objects [from outer space], there are numerous protection mechanisms. Many concepts are futuristic and still in the works nevertheless they exist. These include splitting these objects using various explosive devices, including nuclear ones, sending corresponding probes to land on these objects and transport them aside," the president said, adding that there are numerous different projects, which, according to experts, are feasible.

"So far, thank God, there seems to be nothing serious, but we will be working on that. However, these are such large-scale projects that need to be implemented together with our partners," Putin concluded.

Well, the Cs have "foreseen" such events though, as we know, precise encounters are open until the last moment. Maybe the Cs should not be called "Cassiopaeans" but rather "Cassandrans".

First Interstellar Asteroid `Oumuamua is Like Nothing Seen Before :whistle:
Press Release - Source: ESO Posted November 20, 2017 11:09 AM
_http://spaceref.com/asteroids/first-interstellar-asteroid-oumuamua-is-like-nothing-seen-before.html
For the first time ever astronomers have studied an asteroid that has entered the Solar System from interstellar space.

Observations from ESO's Very Large Telescope in Chile and other observatories around the world show that this unique object was traveling through space for millions of years before its chance encounter with our star system. It appears to be a dark, reddish, highly-elongated rocky or high-metal-content object. The new results appear in the journal Nature on 20 November 2017.

On 19 October 2017, the Pan-STARRS 1 telescope in Hawai`i picked up a faint point of light moving across the sky. It initially looked like a typical fast-moving small asteroid, but additional observations over the next couple of days allowed its orbit to be computed fairly accurately. The orbit calculations revealed beyond any doubt that this body did not originate from inside the Solar System, like all other asteroids or comets ever observed, but instead had come from interstellar space. Although originally classified as a comet, observations from ESO and elsewhere revealed no signs of cometary activity after it passed closest to the Sun in September 2017. The object was reclassified as an interstellar asteroid and named 1I/2017 U1 (`Oumuamua) [1].

"We had to act quickly," explains team member Olivier Hainaut from ESO in Garching, Germany. "`Oumuamua had already passed its closest point to the Sun and was heading back into interstellar space."

ESO's Very Large Telescope was immediately called into action to measure the object's orbit, brightness and colour more accurately than smaller telescopes could achieve. Speed was vital as `Oumuamua was rapidly fading as it headed away from the Sun and past the Earth's orbit, on its way out of the Solar System. There were more surprises to come.

Combining the images from the FORS instrument on the VLT using four different filters with those of other large telescopes, the team of astronomers led by Karen Meech (Institute for Astronomy, Hawai`i, USA) found that `Oumuamua varies dramatically in brightness by a factor of ten as it spins on its axis every 7.3 hours.

Karen Meech explains the significance: "This unusually large variation in brightness means that the object is highly elongated: about ten times as long as it is wide, with a complex, convoluted shape. We also found that it has a dark red colour, similar to objects in the outer Solar System, and confirmed that it is completely inert, without the faintest hint of dust around it."

These properties suggest that `Oumuamua is dense, possibly rocky or with high metal content, lacks significant amounts of water or ice, and that its surface is now dark and reddened due to the effects of irradiation from cosmic rays over millions of years. It is estimated to be at least 400 metres long.

Preliminary orbital calculations suggested that the object had come from the approximate direction of the bright star Vega, in the northern constellation of Lyra. However, even travelling at a breakneck speed of about 95 000 kilometres/hour, it took so long for the interstellar object to make the journey to our Solar System that Vega was not near that position when the asteroid was there about 300 000 years ago. `Oumuamua may well have been wandering through the Milky Way, unattached to any star system, for hundreds of millions of years before its chance encounter with the Solar System.

Astronomers estimate that an interstellar asteroid similar to `Oumuamua passes through the inner Solar System about once per year, but they are faint and hard to spot so have been missed until now. It is only recently that survey telescopes, such as Pan-STARRS, are powerful enough to have a chance to discover them.

"We are continuing to observe this unique object," concludes Olivier Hainaut, "and we hope to more accurately pin down where it came from and where it is going next on its tour of the galaxy. And now that we have found the first interstellar rock, we are getting ready for the next ones!"

Oumuamua (1I/2017 U1) - First Interstellar Asteroid

https://youtu.be/BYY3aqkfY_I?rel=0

https://youtu.be/O6PpbO7vIjU?rel=0
Credits: ESO, M. Kornmesser, L.Calcada. A brief visit from a red and extremely elongated interstellar asteroid Karen J. Meech, Robert Weryk, Marco Micheli, Jan T. Kleyna, Olivier R. Hainaut, Robert Jedicke, Richard J. Wainscoat, Kenneth C. Chambers, Jacqueline V. Keane, Andreea Petric, Larry Denneau, Eugene Magnier, Travis Berger, Mark E. Huber, Heather Flewelling, Chris Waters, Eva Schunova-Lilly & Serge Chastel Nature, DOI:10.1038/nature25020
http://images.spaceref.com/news/2017/ooOumuamua.jpg
1I/2017 U1 `Oumuamua

Zeta Cassiopeiids (ZCS-444)
A case study on the Zeta Cassiopeiids proves that this shower qualifies all criteria to be recognized as an established
shower. Yearly activity has been detected with an indication for some long term periodicity. The time of maximum activity could beestablished at solar longitude 112.75 ° with a secondary maximum at solar longitude 114.5°. All shower characteristics are identical to the nearby Perseid shower although ζ-Cassiopeiids are likely older. Both showers may be related to a common origin.

78db986d4356d840b9e90ddedfa960cd.png

08b8aa0d9819269f37b0b49102076d05.png

610067e454caf688e12280b5f6b3b554.png

Last edited:
When I was in grade school I was hooked on astronomy thanks to my neighbor. He took me and his boys to an evening sky watching meeting. The club members brought their telescopes allowing the public to try out astronomy. I loved it. After that I got myself a refracting telescope and every chance I had I would be looking at the sky. Meteorite showers were one of my favorite sky watching activities.

Comet Wirtanen Observing Campaign
Recent Updates (click for more information)
Production rates and a diffuse coma
December 8: HCN and Water Production

November 26: Rotation Period and Water Production

October 18: First measurements of Water Production

September 21: Update to Secular lightcurve and good news about Semrock CN filter

September 4: Update to Secular lightcurve and orbital elements

August 14: New image of the comet

July 31: Hold-the-Date announcement of the Mike A'Hearn Symposium

July 26: Update to Secular lightcurve and addition of a list of future close approaches

July 16: Update to Secular lightcurve and orbital elements

June 26: Correction on Wirtanen's recovery

June 26: Currently, Wirtanen seems to be somewhat fainter than expected from pre-recovery predictions

Site Descripition and Navigation
The navigation bar on the left can be used to access campaign pages.
Some highlighted links include:
Current Status - Updates and new information about Wirtanen
Observations - Location to view what observations are planned, or submit your own plans
Physical Properties
- Some of the known physical properties of comet Wirtanen
2018 Apparition
- Why is this apparition historic?
History
- Additional background about Wirtanen
Orbit
- Information about the comet's orbit
Observing Geometry
- Plots showing observing information as a function of time
Proposal Talking Points
- Information and text that can be used in observing proposals
Other Observing Campaigns - Links to other objects in the observing campaig

METEOR CROSSES COMET WIRTANEN
Taken by OLIVIER STAIGER on December 18, 2018 @ Vétroz, Switzerland
OLIVIER-STAIGER-DSC001751_1545375799_lg.jpg

Details:
METEOR CROSSES COMET WIRTANEN
Early morning of 18th december the sky was clearing at my home location ( Vétroz, Switzerland) and was preparing to do a live streaming webcast of comet Wirtanen setting behind a mountain to my west named Haut-de-Cry, right out of my bedroom window !
While I was waiting for a thin layer of clouds to dissipate I took just a few still images, and on one of them a meteor flew right in front of comet Wirtanen !
Used a Sony a7s with Mitakon 35mm f/095 II lens at f/0.95, ISO 16.000 , just 2 seconds exposure and got extremely lucky to catch the faint meteor fly right in front of 46P during that short shutter speed. Moments later I shot another image with same settings except for a shorter shutter speed, just 1 second long.
This was at 02:24:24 UT .
A bit later I started the live webcast ( using mostly another lens, Canon EF 200/2.8 L but also briefly the Mitakon 35/0.95 ) , and higher ISO given the shorter shutter speed in video ) , that webcast can still be seen here:

what meteor was it ? given the direction it was flying it may have been an Ursid.

About solar flares, I found today this article in SOTT, very interesting. (in case I have interpreted it correctly) the facts cannot be hidden and they are there, solar activity and affecting the surroundings as something imminent.
A small excerpt from the article:
These are the most energetic protons ERNE can detect, explains Dr Phillips. An uptick in green after the CME indicates unusually "hard" radiation-the kind accelerated in the leading edge of a fast-moving CME.

The source of the blast is thought to have been the same sunspot (AR2838) that produced the first X-flare of Solar Cycle 25 on July 3. That sunspot is currently transiting the farside of the sun approximately where the CME came from. Within the next week, AR2838 is expected to return to face earth-and then, maybe, the real fun begins.

The implications of an x-flare being fired directly at our planet are concerning, to say the least.

For more on that, click the article below:

Earth's Magnetic Field just Struggled with a Weak CME: Sign of the Times

The COLD TIMES are returning, the mid-latitudes are REFREEZING, in line with the great conjunction, historically low solar activity, cloud-nucleating Cosmic Rays, and a meridional jet stream flow (among other forcings).

Both NOAA and NASA appear to agree, if you read between the lines, with NOAA saying we're entering a 'full-blown' Grand Solar Minimum in the late-2020s, and NASA seeing this upcoming solar cycle (25) as "the weakest of the past 200 years", with the agency correlating previous solar shutdowns to prolonged periods of global cooling here.

(I am very new to reading about solar phenomena, I never cease to be amazed at the grandeur of the solar system, and the sun as the earth's compass).

Back
Top Bottom