Social Bookmarking and web 2.0

Mark7

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Social Bookmarking sites like del.icio.us and many others have the potential to get the word out about any subject or drive traffic to any paticular site. I was thinking that if SOTT wanted to get the word out about something... many signs forum members would probably be willing to post... Does SOTT have any stance on Social Bookmarking? I checked for S. B. and web 2.0 posts on this forum and didn't see a lot, and couldn't quite find much on this particular aspect of the subject.

Among the posts was this interesting thread, but it went off in another direction:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=4216

Web 2.0 seems to have both a light and dark half meme - just as globalism does in the "real" world.

as far as I can make out, web 2.0 is a general purpose attempt at 'regaining control' via a higher level of interconnectedness.

happily, it seems that the ever-present creativite impulse always seems to find some new opportunity for genuine creativity and growth, some way of expressing itself in each new scenario, however restrictive - in fact I tend to think that the heavier the squeeze the more unpredictable and creative are the responses. so, who knows where it will lead?

'Social Bookmarking' is a new buzzword to me, but I looked it up, and I found out I'm already doing it ;-)

Social bookmarking has the potential to work in an STO manner because it gets the word out without evangelizing if used in a conscientious way. The whole idea behind social bookmarking sites like Furl and del.icio.us (claimed anyway), is to share knowledge in a round-table manner, main editor takes a backseat to the content of individual contributions which are sensored by popularity and by the common judgement of members. So maybe SB can be a tool for creativity when and if used properly.

DippyDog said:
Social bookmarking has the potential to work in an STO manner because it gets the word out without evangelizing if used in a conscientious way. The whole idea behind social bookmarking sites like Furl and del.icio.us (claimed anyway), is to share knowledge in a round-table manner, main editor takes a backseat to the content of individual contributions which are sensored by popularity and by the common judgement of members. So maybe SB can be a tool for creativity when and if used properly.
You would have to trust the operators of the sites and the members not to fudge the votes, and we've already seen how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom