Smoking is... good?

Yep, Tesco sells it. I get mine when on a weekly shop. Along with Pueblo, it's in my opinion the best tobacco available in most shops.

Bless you :hug2: and thanks for the Pueblo recommendation. I shall give that and American Spirit a go. Given that I am new to smoking do you think it would be wise for me to start with a milder tobacco such as American Spirit Yellow, if I can find it around here? Also, what are your thoughts on papers and filter tips? Should I bother with getting hold of unbleached organic brands like Raw even if I have to do so online or just use Rizzla since that's pretty much all Tesco sells?

(I hope you don't mind me pumping you for info. I don't know anyone in 'real life' that currently smokes!)

Given that I am new to smoking do you think it would be wise for me to start with a milder tobacco such as American Spirit Yellow, if I can find it around here? Also, what are your thoughts on papers and filter tips? Should I bother with getting hold of unbleached organic brands like Raw even if I have to do so online or just use Rizzla since that's pretty much all Tesco sells?

Maybe go for the milder option to begin with, but of course you decide how much baccy to put in a rollie, so you've got some control there anyway with regards to strength. As for papers, Rizlas work fine for me, and I don't bother with filters personally, I just rip off a bit of the cardboard, lol. I found when I used filters I had an unsatisfactory smoking experience, really having to tug on a cig to get the smoke, so after a while I just stopped using them. Maybe try it both ways to see which way works best for you?

Maybe go for the milder option to begin with, but of course you decide how much baccy to put in a rollie, so you've got some control there anyway with regards to strength. As for papers, Rizlas work fine for me, and I don't bother with filters personally, I just rip off a bit of the cardboard, lol. I found when I used filters I had an unsatisfactory smoking experience, really having to tug on a cig to get the smoke, so after a while I just stopped using them. Maybe try it both ways to see which way works best for you?

You are a complete star, bless you :hug2: . I shall report back in due course! *salutes*

Maybe go for the milder option to begin with, but of course you decide how much baccy to put in a rollie, so you've got some control there anyway with regards to strength.

Yeah, I don't pack the tobacco too tight and I roll my ciggies fairly loosely too so that I'm getting a good amount of air through when I draw. I don't like very strong tobacco.

Yeah, I don't pack the tobacco too tight and I roll my ciggies fairly loosely too so that I'm getting a good amount of air through when I draw. I don't like very strong tobacco.

This reminds me of when I first got into smoking. I used to compress the tobacco and for my efforts got a very poor and frustrating smoke. I learned very quickly that a loose roll up with a fair amount of air flow was far better. That's a good point for Strategic Enclosure to know if he's going to try roll ups.

This reminds me of when I first got into smoking. I used to compress the tobacco and for my efforts got a very poor and frustrating smoke. I learned very quickly that a loose roll up with a fair amount of air flow was far better. That's a good point for Strategic Enclosure to know if he's going to try roll ups.

Message received and understood Captain SlipNet, sir (and Deputy Jones). *salutes*

(I have no real idea what the military ranks are but you get the point.)

I’ve been a mostly non-smoker for most of my 52 years. Never liked the way I smelled after a cigarette. Of course I dabbled in other stuff 30 years ago but it’s not for me.

I recently picked up a pipe and real pipe tobacco. Everyone in my family likes the smell of it, I still find a very peaceful feeling that comes with it and I don’t smell like an ashtray when I’m done. I will admit, this is only once a day, generally in the evening while watching the sunset and reflecting on the day.

Works for me, and there doesn’t seem to be any stigma attached to it. My uncle smoked a pipe as a kid and even though I couldn’t stand the smell of my Aunts, cousins and their non-stop cigarette smoking, I always loved the smell of his pipe. My kids, mostly my daughter would roll her eyes at the very least if she caught me with a cigarette, saw my pipe and said, “cool.” I also understand the marketing propaganda that goes along with smoking and used to often wonder why since they seem to want us otherwise sick and dependent upon healthcare etc.

Much like the roll your owns, you can control how tight the pack is to control the amount of air flow. The downside is because pipe tobacco has a much higher water content, the pipe has to be repeatedly lit.

Personally, I've been smoking American Spirit this last week
Hi Slipnet, I've been smoking Manitou which I get from Asda. I was wondering if you ever smoked it.? With you mentioning American Spirit I wondered if there was much difference either in quality or strength. I'm happy with Manitou but if I could find a milder tobacco I would probably change. Is American Spirit organic and how much does it cost. Manitou is £12.00 for 30g.

Hi Slipnet, I've been smoking Manitou which I get from Asda. I was wondering if you ever smoked it.? With you mentioning American Spirit I wondered if there was much difference either in quality or strength. I'm happy with Manitou but if I could find a milder tobacco I would probably change. Is American Spirit organic and how much does it cost. Manitou is £12.00 for 30g.

I haven't tried Manitou, so can't say if it's milder than American Spirit. Gotta say though, 12 quid for 30g is a good deal these days, so I'd say you're onto a good thing there. No Asda near me, may check up on stocks in Tesco nevertheless.

The American Spirit I smoke is not organic (you can probably order the organic variety online however), but it remains a very good smoke. Closer to £16 a 30g pouch though! It's pretty strong, but like I said before it depends how much you put into a rollie. I didn't think there was a pouch of baccy under 15 quid these days, cheers for bringing Manitou to my attention.

I’ve been a mostly non-smoker for most of my 52 years. Never liked the way I smelled after a cigarette. Of course I dabbled in other stuff 30 years ago but it’s not for me.

I recently picked up a pipe and real pipe tobacco. Everyone in my family likes the smell of it, I still find a very peaceful feeling that comes with it and I don’t smell like an ashtray when I’m done. I will admit, this is only once a day, generally in the evening while watching the sunset and reflecting on the day.

Works for me, and there doesn’t seem to be any stigma attached to it. My uncle smoked a pipe as a kid and even though I couldn’t stand the smell of my Aunts, cousins and their non-stop cigarette smoking, I always loved the smell of his pipe. My kids, mostly my daughter would roll her eyes at the very least if she caught me with a cigarette, saw my pipe and said, “cool.” I also understand the marketing propaganda that goes along with smoking and used to often wonder why since they seem to want us otherwise sick and dependent upon healthcare etc.

Much like the roll your owns, you can control how tight the pack is to control the amount of air flow. The downside is because pipe tobacco has a much higher water content, the pipe has to be repeatedly lit.

That's awesome :thup: . I have been smoking my pipe for three weeks now and went from one smoke a day to several. After saying that I am yet to have my first smoke and I have been up and about for 90 minutes. I might have one soon.

I am still learning the optimal moisture content of the pipe tobacco and the optimum packing density. I over-dried some tobacco because it was too moist and wouldn't stay lit so I had to learn how to re-moisten it. It's been really fun learning new skills. It turns out the C's were right: "Learning is fun!" :lol: Thank God for the internet though; it has been invaluable in me learning what and what not to do.

I have just googled this but am getting conflicting data on whether it is organic or not :rolleyes: . However, it is labelled as being "100% additive free" so there's that at least.

It's going to be hard to find organic tobacco. I know that American Spirit had organic cigarettes at one point. Going with additive free may be the best that you can go. Ultimately, you can know that if you are buying roll-you-own tobacco or pipe tobacco that it doesn't have all of those horrible chemicals that are being put in commercial cigarettes. And that's significant!

It's going to be hard to find organic tobacco. I know that American Spirit had organic cigarettes at one point. Going with additive free may be the best that you can go. Ultimately, you can know that if you are buying roll-you-own tobacco or pipe tobacco that it doesn't have all of those horrible chemicals that are being put in commercial cigarettes. And that's significant!

In addition there is whole leaf tobacco but it needs a cutting machine.

I have some pipe tobaccos. Unfortunately most of them are richly flavoured and I am afraid some are artificial flavours.

In addition there is whole leaf tobacco but it needs a cutting machine.

I have some pipe tobaccos. Unfortunately most of them are richly flavoured and I am afraid some are artificial flavours.

That has been what I have found with pipe tobaccos but even so, I am sure that they are far 'cleaner' than mass market cigarettes. They are so 'clean' pipe tobacco products out there but you need to hunt for them. If I can remember what they are I'll post again but I just had a smoke and a bite to eat and am all sleepy! :-[ If you have a google for 'additive free pipe tobacco', 'neutral pipe tobacco', 'unflavoured pipe tobacco' or variations thereof then you should find lots of info to help you. Oh, I can give you one:100% Burley pipe tobacco. I bought a tin because I watched a video online from a pipe smoker youtube who recommended it for breaking in a new pipe. His reasoning was that it was additive-free so would season the pipe bowl with neutrally whereas flavoured pipe tobacco might then give a 'ghosting' of this flavour upon subsequent smoking with different tobaccos. His reasoning was that if one builds up the caking in the bowl with a neutral tobacco then it would protect against this issue with flavoured tobaccos smoked subsequent to this. There was more to it but from that a 100% Burley leaf tobacco is a decent option. You may find more if you google. I am not too concerned about this aspect with pipe tobacco as they are considered to be a much 'cleaner' choice compared to mass market ciggies.

That has been what I have found with pipe tobaccos but even so, I am sure that they are far 'cleaner' than mass market cigarettes. They are so 'clean' pipe tobacco products out there but you need to hunt for them. If I can remember what they are I'll post again but I just had a smoke and a bite to eat and am all sleepy! :-[ If you have a google for 'additive free pipe tobacco', 'neutral pipe tobacco', 'unflavoured pipe tobacco' or variations thereof then you should find lots of info to help you. Oh, I can give you one:100% Burley pipe tobacco. I bought a tin because I watched a video online from a pipe smoker youtube who recommended it for breaking in a new pipe. His reasoning was that it was additive-free so would season the pipe bowl with neutrally whereas flavoured pipe tobacco might then give a 'ghosting' of this flavour upon subsequent smoking with different tobaccos. His reasoning was that if one builds up the caking in the bowl with a neutral tobacco then it would protect against this issue with flavoured tobaccos smoked subsequent to this. There was more to it but from that a 100% Burley leaf tobacco is a decent option. You may find more if you google. I am not too concerned about this aspect with pipe tobacco as they are considered to be a much 'cleaner' choice compared to mass market ciggies.

Thank you.

The above reasoning sounds quite reasonable.

I am now up to new experiments and will try and smoke pipe tobacco in shisha style and compare it with ground tobacco leaves also shisha style. It may take a while as I am still waiting for some hardware from China. I ordered a device with the beautiful name Cthulhu Ceto RDA which looks quite suitable for such experiments.

Back
Top Bottom