Smoking is... good?

Or should we look for some kind of vaporizer or another method that creates an antiviral smoke which will protect the lungs (with defensive layer) and deliver antiviral substances to the body?

I don't know about something that could substitute smoking, but I've been doing the nebulazations protocol every now and then, and it seems to help me clear my respiratory system and breathe better:

They say they have very good results for respiratory conditions, so it might be a way to prevent and treat diseases affecting the lungs too.

Today I came across a couple of comments from Highland Fleet Lute below this SOTT piece:

I think the nicotine content of tobacco has probably been surreptitiously "diminished" over the last few decades.
Certainly has been the case with American Spirit, which by now is now hardly worth a light.
You might as well smoke hay.

And the this one:

It's not clear what type of tobacco was used at the time of The Great Plague, although damn sure it wasn't "burley lite" or whatever.
You can turbo-charge ciggies by adding a pinch of plain unperfumed tobacco snuff before you roll. The stuff that's just raw powdered tobacco, basically. Tobacco snuff has pretty much maintained it's 19th century good nicotine levels.

Something like Viking Dark or Taxi Red are probably a good bet. There's also Toque Rustica, which I've never personally tried, but at 10X+ the nicotine levels of most strong snuffs, should probably be handled with a bit of respect.

It never dawned on me to try this. I presume the nicotine gets into the bloodstream also via the sensitive tissue in nostrils otherwise why would they make a snuff at all. Does anyone here get their nicotine fix with snuff? And has anyone tried to boost a weak tobacco with snuff?

I am certainly gonna try and will report later but when thinking of Arkie and others who have no temptation to smoke but would like to get an extra protection, could this be one solution? That Viking Dark cost about €5 for 25 grams and looks like a quality product (judging upon a few reviews). The same brand has variety of about 7 different tastes and strengths.

And has anyone tried to boost a weak tobacco with snuff?

Not with snuff but I am currently experimenting with tobacco powder and nicotine extracts from whole tobacco leaves. It looks promising in terms of nicotine delivery but I still need some new hardware from China for further tests and shipments are still very slow.

Apropos hardware: I have an eye on a Chinese producer of ultrasonic devices. They have a tiny battery powered nebulizer, usonicig zip, that can nebulise many liquids. I think it could be quite useful, especially as the ultrasonic head is in a pod and can be replaced at low cost when it wears off. Unfortunately the current model's pod cannot be cleaned which is a serious handicap. I hope they will add this feature soon.

Hello, new smoker here. I have posted about this elsewhere on the Forum so shall not repeat myself. However, being someone who thought that he would never smoke, to say the least, I am really starting to feel the benefits of it. I smoke a pipe now and really enjoy it. My system still seems to be very sensitive to the nicotine as it can make me light-headed and slightly nauseous if I am not careful. When that happens, however, I take the hint that it's time to take a break and I put the pipe down until later. It is starting to have a lovely relaxing effect on me too which I very much appreciate given that I am generally quite tightly wound, physically, mentally and emotionally. Lastly, it is having the curious effect of activating my third eye which I did not anticipate. I know that nicotine can have cognitive benefits but I cannot remember reading anything about that. Taking up smoking has proven to be quite an adventure! :thup:

being someone who thought that he would never smoke, to say the least, I am really starting to feel the benefits of it.
Me too. I always thought that I will never smoke but I started accidentally some time ago and was surprised to observe quite astounding and unexpected benefits.

To give you some background, my first encounter with a cigarette was at a very young age. I filched one cigarette from my grandfather and tried to smoke it. I remember it vaguely as a very unpleasant experience and I didn't feel like trying again for a long time.

Besides, in my family, smoking is perceived as something utterly horrible. For example, when my mother sees someone with a cigarette near the house, she tends to make a comment that it's probably a robber watching for an opportunity to steal a car or something. She thinks that smoking is disgusting and used to tell my sisters that if my father were a smoker, she would never marry him. I was also programmed to believe that smoking is bad, but it was not so strong as for the other members of my family. For me, it was not a problem to hang on with my colleagues even if they were smokers (for my sister it was).

Later, when I found this forum and reevaluated my knowledge in many areas of life, I also changed my mind about smoking completely. But still, I thought about myself as a person that doesn't need to smoke.

Some time ago I suggested to my friend that she could consider starting smoking again because it may be beneficial for her. Later it proved to be true. I suggested also that it would be great if she would smoke 100% pure tobacco. So she bought pure tobacco and a filling machine and come to me for help with cigarette preparation. It was then when I decided to try smoking myself again. I did it and perceived it as nothing special and did not feel any urge to do it again.

Later I was going on a mountain trip with another friend and decided to bring a few cigarettes with me just in case. One day, when we sat near the peak and were watching the sunset, I had an idea to smoke, and I did it. This was the moment when I unexpectedly noticed something strange. My visual acuity improved a lot. I was able to distinguish the houses in the valley on the horizon. Something unthinkable just a moment before. I was so excited that I decided to try smoking more often and observe the effects more precisely.

Since then, I smoke a few cigarettes a week, and still notice the eyesight improvements in about 80% cases. I guess it may be related to polymorphisms associated with choline deficiency. I also perceive improvement in mental clarity when I smoke, as well as a little more willingness to talk (I'm not a talkative person).

Summing it up, tobacco for me is like a supplement. I don't feel any urge to take it, and I don't have much pleasure from taking it. I still dislike the taste and the smell but I observe and like the beneficial effects it has on my body, mind, and spirit, so I'm open to more testing.

I really enjoyed reading that; thank you so much for sharing your experience.

I had a similar aborted attempt at smoking as a child but that was my brother and I liberating a few ciggies from my mother and sneaking them down to the shed. A few quick puffs to coughing and nausea soon put us off.

Good luck with your experiment. I trust that it continues to prove fruitful for you.

Me too. I always thought that I will never smoke but I started accidentally some time ago and was surprised to observe quite astounding and unexpected benefits.

To give you some background, my first encounter with a cigarette was at a very young age. I filched one cigarette from my grandfather and tried to smoke it. I remember it vaguely as a very unpleasant experience and I didn't feel like trying again for a long time.

Besides, in my family, smoking is perceived as something utterly horrible. For example, when my mother sees someone with a cigarette near the house, she tends to make a comment that it's probably a robber watching for an opportunity to steal a car or something. She thinks that smoking is disgusting and used to tell my sisters that if my father were a smoker, she would never marry him. I was also programmed to believe that smoking is bad, but it was not so strong as for the other members of my family. For me, it was not a problem to hang on with my colleagues even if they were smokers (for my sister it was).

Later, when I found this forum and reevaluated my knowledge in many areas of life, I also changed my mind about smoking completely. But still, I thought about myself as a person that doesn't need to smoke.

Some time ago I suggested to my friend that she could consider starting smoking again because it may be beneficial for her. Later it proved to be true. I suggested also that it would be great if she would smoke 100% pure tobacco. So she bought pure tobacco and a filling machine and come to me for help with cigarette preparation. It was then when I decided to try smoking myself again. I did it and perceived it as nothing special and did not feel any urge to do it again.

Later I was going on a mountain trip with another friend and decided to bring a few cigarettes with me just in case. One day, when we sat near the peak and were watching the sunset, I had an idea to smoke, and I did it. This was the moment when I unexpectedly noticed something strange. My visual acuity improved a lot. I was able to distinguish the houses in the valley on the horizon. Something unthinkable just a moment before. I was so excited that I decided to try smoking more often and observe the effects more precisely.

Since then, I smoke a few cigarettes a week, and still notice the eyesight improvements in about 80% cases. I guess it may be related to polymorphisms associated with choline deficiency. I also perceive improvement in mental clarity when I smoke, as well as a little more willingness to talk (I'm not a talkative person).

Summing it up, tobacco for me is like a supplement. I don't feel any urge to take it, and I don't have much pleasure from taking it. I still dislike the taste and the smell but I observe and like the beneficial effects it has on my body, mind, and spirit, so I'm open to more testing.

I really enjoyed reading that; thank you so much for sharing your experience.

I had a similar aborted attempt at smoking as a child but that was my brother and I liberating a few ciggies from my mother and sneaking them down to the shed. A few quick puffs to coughing and nausea soon put us off.

Good luck with your experiment. I trust that it continues to prove fruitful for you.

I'm really happy that you enjoyed it :-)
Thank you! Good luck with your smoking adventure too! I will be happy to read more about your experiences.

Now that I have been smoking a pipe for the best part of three weeks after being a complete non-smoker for 54 years I am curious how my subjective experience of it relates to those of others. If I may relate how it affects me I would welcome feedback on it in relation to how those of you who are established smokers experience it. If that is okay and not noise (?).

I have never taken recreational drugs, not even a single puff on a joint because I was always so terrified that I would completely lose myself in it and become possessed by the addiction. I am someone who tends to be an 'all or nothing' type and find that moderation is almost impossible for me. I have drunk alcohol on and off before and for long periods have been completely teetotal but have not imbibed any alcohol for years now. I do drink coffee which is strictly speaking a drug and prescription medicine but I mention those just to satisfy my pedantic bent :-/ .

When I start to smoke my pipe I find that it affects how I look at things in the environment around me. I tend to smoke almost exclusively on my flat balcony so have a good view of the lovely tree that sits in our front garden here. After a few puffs I find that I start to come out of my 'head' somewhat and I start to really see the tree. It seems to draw me in to really looking at it as it is rather than seeing it and thinking 'oh, there's the tree'. I see the way the wind caresses the branches and leaves and how they sway gently and am struck by how beautiful it is. I see the shadows and how they play across it and often feel such gratitude that I am able to just stand there and appreciate something so remarkable like it is a gift that life has afforded me. As I continue to smoke it feels like my thinking, my awareness, I'm not sure how to describe it, goes deeper into my body and my physical body is just this 'thing' around me not unlike a pilot of a huge mecha robot beloved by Japanese anime. Then I notice that my shoulders are dropping and I feel really relaxed like I have just done a progressive relaxation exercise and I feel sleepy and could happily take a nap. Then I notice that my body is almost buzzing and is all 'tingly'. It gets to the point where I feel slightly woozy like I would when I used to drink after not having drunk alcohol in awhile. I tend to take a break at that point because if I continue I start to feel nauseous although my tolerance has improved in that regard, thankfully.

I also find that I am able to laugh and see the humour in life more recently which is most welcome because that has been almost unattainable for me over the last 24 years. My heart seems to be really open too and I am feeling some pretty intense emotional reactions to all sorts of things. I doubt that this is the tobacco influencing the last two and that it is probably all the E.E. that I have been doing concurrent with the pipe-smoking but I thought that I would mention it. Smoking is completely uncharted territory for me so, frankly, I just don't know. Oh, and I am finding it much easier to get my thoughts together and find the words that I need which is a relief as that has been difficult for me in recent years.

Anyway, that's how it affects me. I am just curious about how established smokers view this because, as I say, I feel like an explorer who has recently landed on an alien planet who is trying to make sense of it all.

This evening I was relaxing in a comfy chair and feeling rather soporific as I had not long eaten when I decided to recite the Prayer of the Soul in my mind. During this, it struck me how certain phrases could be said to represent some of what I posted earlier (the post above this one).

"carried in the heart"
"Clear my eyes, that I may see"
"Cleanse my heart that I may know and love, the holiness of true existence"

Now I may be putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5 but I have to wonder if my sustained E.E. practice is at the root of some of what I explicated above. If so, then isn't it funny how we fail to see what we already know and that is right in front of our nose?! :-)

I have never taken recreational drugs, not even a single puff on a joint because I was always so terrified that I would completely lose myself in it and become possessed by the addiction. I am someone who tends to be an 'all or nothing' type and find that moderation is almost impossible for me. I have drunk alcohol on and off before and for long periods have been completely teetotal but have not imbibed any alcohol for years now. I do drink coffee which is strictly speaking a drug and prescription medicine but I mention those just to satisfy my pedantic bent :-/ .

You're lucky you didn't imbibe spliff. I used it for a few decades, and to be honest I still miss it. It just feels great is all I can say, but it does tend the mind towards a somewhat lazy attitude. You just end up feeling so content you can't be arsed to do anything, lol! The effect is quite different from alcohol, it tends to amplify what's already within you at the time. Coffee is fine I'd say; I drink a few cups when I awaken in the morning, then I switch to green tea so as not to interfere with my sleeping.

When I start to smoke my pipe I find that it affects how I look at things in the environment around me. I tend to smoke almost exclusively on my flat balcony so have a good view of the lovely tree that sits in our front garden here. After a few puffs I find that I start to come out of my 'head' somewhat and I start to really see the tree. It seems to draw me in to really looking at it as it is rather than seeing it and thinking 'oh, there's the tree'. I see the way the wind caresses the branches and leaves and how they sway gently and am struck by how beautiful it is. I see the shadows and how they play across it and often feel such gratitude that I am able to just stand there and appreciate something so remarkable like it is a gift that life has afforded me.

Smoking in a peaceful outdoor environment is cool. It's funny, when I used to visit my older brother at his house (he's now deceased), we'd quietly puff away in his garden, watching the trees flowing in the breeze. I think smoking is conducive to a more contemplative state of mind. Appreciate the splendour of nature, indeed, feel the breeze, enjoy the birds, a bit of cloud gazing etc. You don't even need to be thinking about anything in particular, just chill in the moment, taking the world in. The world's a pretty amazing place if you just slow down enough in order to truly apprehend things.

I also find that I am able to laugh and see the humour in life more recently which is most welcome because that has been almost unattainable for me over the last 24 years.

Well that's good news. Being able to remain in good humour during these trying times is quite a bonus, I'd say. It may be a symptom of all that you're doing I reckon. The chief benefit of smoking for me is the extraordinary quality of the stress relief, nothing else compares. Personally, I've been smoking American Spirit this last week, haven't smoked this brand in over a decade. It's been a pleasant surprise, a very mellow smoke. I've even managed to make a 30g pouch last me a week, something of a record for me (probably a pretty heavy smoker, about 15-20 cigs a day). I think I may stick with it for the foreseeable future, seems to work well for me.

I hope you continue to enjoy your smoking adventure, most of us long term smokers would never be without it. I certainly wouldn't.

...Personally, I've been smoking American Spirit this last week, haven't smoked this brand in over a decade. It's been a pleasant surprise, a very mellow smoke. I've even managed to make a 30g pouch last me a week, something of a record for me (probably a pretty heavy smoker, about 15-20 cigs a day). I think I may stick with it for the foreseeable future, seems to work well for me.

I am thinking of giving ciggies a try :shock: and understand that American Spirit is a brand that is known for being a decent option for someone who doesn't want to imbibe 1000s of crappy ingredients, unlike mainstream ciggies. May I ask where you got yours from? Google seems to think that Tesco sells it which would be a handy option for me.

I have been a dedicated smoker for 47 years now with no breaks or attempts to give up
Even as a kid I knew I would be a smoker when I got old enough , my father smoked pipes and my mother only smoked once or twice a year socially
I had a Asperger-like interest in indigenous American cultures since age 6 and already ''knew'' the benefits of tobacco.

the ''peace pipe'' is passed around the circle until all participants have the same heartbeat...

I also smoke the strongest tobacco available...started with french gouloase and gitanes and progressed to Schwarzer Krause , the German jail roll-your -own stuff ( nobody budged a smoke from me in high school,lol ) on to plain camel
when organic smokes came out I smoked spirit until they did not sell them in OZ anymore (we were the first to get generic packaging with yukky pics) so now its fully imported German Manitou still only about 10 cigs a day
I will not give it up as long as I can even tho it costs me twice what I spend on food a week
btw I may have posted this elsewhere but we have a mutation that Neanderthals did not have which makes us less susceptible to the smoke of burning vegetation giving us more ways to use fire and better ability to live in smoky caves and later smoky huts ( smoke keeps disease carrying mozzies away)

For example, when my mother sees someone with a cigarette near the house, she tends to make a comment that it's probably a robber watching for an opportunity to steal a car or something.

:rotfl: This one made me laugh! Thank you, Łukasz!
Anyway, I'm happy for you that you've noticed good effects from smoking! :-)
I remember the beginning of my smoker journey was not so pleasant, first times I was nauseous and dizzy but it didn't last very long.
Today I really appreciate the smell of the smoke from a lighted up cigarette.

After a few puffs I find that I start to come out of my 'head' somewhat and I start to really see the tree. It seems to draw me in to really looking at it as it is rather than seeing it and thinking 'oh, there's the tree'. I see the way the wind caresses the branches and leaves and how they sway gently and am struck by how beautiful it is. I see the shadows and how they play across it and often feel such gratitude that I am able to just stand there and appreciate something so remarkable like it is a gift that life has afforded me.

Isn't it great? It has been 12 years now that I've been smoking, and I still feel the same, those smoking times are always a good opportunity to observe and enjoy what's happening around in nature.

I think smoking is conducive to a more contemplative state of mind. Appreciate the splendour of nature, indeed, feel the breeze, enjoy the birds, a bit of cloud gazing etc. You don't even need to be thinking about anything in particular, just chill in the moment, taking the world in. The world's a pretty amazing place if you just slow down enough in order to truly apprehend things.

I wouldn't explain it better and I would add that it helps me to be a better listener. I tend to focus more on what people are saying while smoking.
This obviously comes from a chemical effect but having my hands and my mouth busy must help too !

Oh, and I am finding it much easier to get my thoughts together and find the words that I need which is a relief as that has been difficult for me in recent years.

Glad to hear that you're experiencing those benefits!!
It is true that when I am working on something or even reading the forum's threads, taking a break and smoking a cigarette helps a lot to put in order my thoughts and the way I want to address them.
I think that it leads more easily to a reflexive state.
And I would add that smoking allows me those break time, otherwise I wouldn't be so inclined to stop doing what I'm doing and just take the time for thinking. It brought me some balance between actions and reflection.

I'm smoking tobacco for the last 30 years, and it is really hard without daily dose od nicotine and vitamine B3 (nicotine acid - Niacin). My husband decided twice I have to stop, nothing good come out of it, I gained 50 kilos and my health was shattered. One the end I found out he is smoking cigarettes while I have had to endure without nicotine. His explanation - his brain is not working good without cigarettes and that he can not cope with anxiety. That was long time ago, but if I have to leave tobacco once more that would be an end of me. Now I grow my own tobacco and don't have problem with health for years. When I'm working in stressful environment need around 10-20 cigarettes a day, if I have time for daily and whole session of Eiriu Eolas, need less cigarettes.

Tobacco is excellent antidepresive as stated in this study:

Smoking may mimic effect of antidepressants

Actually the list of tobacco smoking benefits is really long, and you can find it on Sott.

Tobacco is great as protection against corona viruses as found out in this study:

A nicotinic hypothesis for Covid-19 with preventive and therapeutic implications

I noticed as well that my need for tobacco is minimised when taking iodine. I'm not sure why this thing is happening but perhaps iodine is having some beneficial influence on production of acetylcholine.

I'm grateful nature gave us such a precious gift of tobacco. :cool2:

I am thinking of giving ciggies a try :shock: and understand that American Spirit is a brand that is known for being a decent option for someone who doesn't want to imbibe 1000s of crappy ingredients, unlike mainstream ciggies. May I ask where you got yours from? Google seems to think that Tesco sells it which would be a handy option for me.

Yep, Tesco sells it. I get mine when on a weekly shop. Along with Pueblo, it's in my opinion the best tobacco available in most shops.

Back
Top Bottom