Slow-cooked wild rice and lentils

Even when I soak them and wash the heck out of them, lentils inflame me. But once in awhile I want some dahl, so I pay the price.

Laura said:
Even when I soak them and wash the heck out of them, lentils inflame me. But once in awhile I want some dahl, so I pay the price.

Yep, same here. Though I've found when making split pea soup with 'red' lentils, that having a nice fatty ham hock in the crock pot with the lentils eases any pain for some reason. :halo: The local butcher shop

makes some really nice smoked ham hocks seasonally, and its Hubby's favorite winter comfort food. (Its a treat instead of a staple)

Laura said:
I'm curious. Have you tried sprouted lentils? The problem for me is that I don't get immediate reactions that I notice from these things so I depend on those who do to know what is inflammatory. My risk is for heart disease and inflammation in that system proceeds silently.

Laura said:

I tried to have my lentil concoction last week for lunch, and ended up all bloated every day. It's a bummer because it is SUCH an easy thing to fix and use most of the week. I can't just grab something for lunch because processed food just results in pain at this point, so if sprouted lentils make a difference that would be interesting, but how does one do that?

Yeah, sadly same here with the lentils - and most beans, really. Bloat galore... It is a pity because I actually enjoy the taste - just not the subsequent feeling. It's interesting how quickly the reactions come on, too. Chickpeas might be a good substitute - I don't mind them from time to time (been a while) but not sure what composition they have.

Mung beans seem fine. It's good to see others' opinion - I reckon they make a great addition to stir frys. Though not sure I'm friends with celery...

:)

anart said:
if sprouted lentils make a difference that would be interesting, but how does one do that?

I soak them overnight, and then throw on unbleached paper towel or folded cheese cloth on a colander. Then, cover with the same kind of paper towel / cheese cloth, rinse, and set aside over a bowl in a warm place. The key is to keep them moist by sprinkling water over, without letting them actually sit in water and rot. The sprouts will be ready in 2 days. You can eat them raw or cook in a soup / dahl.

Hildegarda said:
anart said:
if sprouted lentils make a difference that would be interesting, but how does one do that?

I soak them overnight, and then throw on unbleached paper towel or folded cheese cloth on a colander. Then, cover with the same kind of paper towel / cheese cloth, rinse, and set aside over a bowl in a warm place. The key is to keep them moist by sprinkling water over, without letting them actually sit in water and rot. The sprouts will be ready in 2 days. You can eat them raw or cook in a soup / dahl.

You can also buy them already sprouted and dried.

Hildegarda said:
anart said:

I found this comprehensive guide in sprouting: http://chetday.com/sprouts.html

It describes the different methods of sprouting, and how to go about it with each seed/legume, etc.

Back
Top Bottom