Skeptics Annotated Bible

Erna

The Living Force
I remembered about a link someone showed me a few years ago while I was reading the article Intelligent people 'less likely to believe in God' in the satire section.

_www.skepticsannotatedbible.com

It's broken up in the following sections:

• Absurdity
• Injustice
• Cruelty and Violence
• Intolerance
• Contradictions
• Science and History
• Interpretation
• Family Values
• Women
• Good Stuff
• Prophecy
• Sex
• Language
• Homosexuality

It kept me busy for a while. I see the Quran and the Book of Mormon also isn't spared.

Very entertaining for the most part. However, I notice that whoever writes some of the comments or selects the items to be categorized, obviously is not a very deep thinker.

And you know me! I'm not defending the Bible, just pointing out that attacks can be absurd too!

An excellent resource, Erna. Found it a few years ago. The site is very concise and pointed out some of the "holy book's" good stuff as well as the absurdity and hypocrisy.

Yes, the aim is definately to ridicule.

Laura said:
attacks can be absurd too!
Not to mention the amount of trouble they went through to compile everything.

Treating the absurd with absurdity. Sounds good to me! :)

I’ll have to keep this one for all the Bible thumpers. Would have come in handy years ago when I decided to read the Bible for myself instead of being told what was in it. I didn’t get very far; Numbers was as far as I got if I remember correctly. The story of Moses and “his people” wandering around in the desert for forty years while their god provides everything for them; food, water just fall out of the heavens. This god takes care of them for forty years, gives them “the 10 Commandments" and promises to lead them to their own land. And lo and behold the “land” this god decides to “give” them happens to be inhabited with a whole bunch of people, which Moses and his gang are supposed to kill off. That did it for me. I remember thinking, if this god can “magically” make food, water and whatever else appear AND provide the 10 Commandments, one of which was “thou should not kill”, WHY then are these people told to go in and kill off a whole town???? How come this god just didn’t give them their own space??? Didn't sound real "godly" to me, not to mention I could not find any logic to it. At that point I figured the whole book was bogus along with the whole “god” deal. I had a problem with other stories as well, but this one “took the cake”. I was raised in Catholicism.

One sorta nifty tidbit I did learn somewhere along the way. The “well-known” story of “Samson and Delilah”. Most people figure they know that one. You can challenge that one claiming Delilah did not cut Samson’s hair off. She didn’t. Judges 16:19 - “And she proceeded to make him sleep upon her knees. Then she called a manservant and had him shave off[\b] the seven braids…” You can have fun with that one! :)

Annette1 said:
At that point I figured the whole book was bogus along with the whole “god” deal.
Yeh, the split from religion can be quite painful. I started having my doubts in std. 8 (15 years old), and my one friend and I always rode home together on our bikes from school. At the T-junction where we had to go our opposite ways we always talked for hours. The day I said to her "I don't think I believe in God anymore" it was agony just to utter the words. How innocent we are when we're young... When we rode in our opposite directions she screamed over her shoulder "YOU THINK TOO MUCH!"

We are still good friends, it was she who got married earlier this year on the beach in Mozambique. She's still undeterred in her faith, and I am still the unbeliever ;)

Erna said:
...she screamed over her shoulder "YOU THINK TOO MUCH!"
hahahaha. Yea, heard that one alot. I never understood that one, tho'. Like, how can you think too much?? I thought that's what your brain was meant to do. People who say this scare me. I wonder just what they do with their brain, or wonder if their brain has atrophied from not thinking. Yes, I'm being flippant, but still........... just makes me all the more determined to keep exercising my brain lest I end up "thinking" I should not think. :)

Back
Top Bottom