Signs article comments

Azur

The Living Force
What's with the juvenile comment that I've seen in today's Signs page? Viz:

"Comment: What the hell is the mustachioed shit-head Bolton talking about? There is nothing "slanderous" about saying that America was committing "big crimes" against Arab and Islamic countries...it a simple FACT!"

Anybody who hasn't been to the signs page and sees this kind of poor language usage will assume the rest can't be taken seriously. I understand that if they don't know better to assume, then they probably aren't seeing much anyway, but I fail to see how there is any advantage in using teen-age "shock" words in communications.

Also, it would be much more advantageous to helping people "stay the course" while trying to break out of the media lock down, if the comments supplied (like most of them do, but not all recently) have an actual purpose other than to call the subject(s) of the comment names.

People who are not fully realized, or trying to fully or more realized via whatever method (fusing a magnetic center, etc) don't need any more distractions that trigger an automatic response.

I submit this in full sincerity that the most people be reached: the work being done here is important. I'm not looking to get more people "in the gang", but only hope they can start seeing clearly what it is they are not seeing. Critical mass is needed, the 100th monkey phenomenon is apt.

As Epictetus (AD 53-135) once said:

"What concerns me is not the way things are, but rather the way people think things are".

Thanks for your consideration.

Edit: the forum software has translated the actual quote from s-h-i-t-h-e-a-d to shite-head. Go figure.

Haha wow, first post and already with the complaining. I don't see anything wrong with calling Bolton a mustachioed shite-head, in fact it's pretty funny. I also don't see it as poor language usage, it is in my opinion a creative use of the jibe shite head. An old school classic insult that we don't hear very often, which makes it even more poignant.

Azur said:
What's with the juvenile comment that I've seen in today's Signs page? Viz:

"Comment: What the hell is the mustachioed shit-head Bolton talking about? There is nothing "slanderous" about saying that America was committing "big crimes" against Arab and Islamic countries...it a simple FACT!"

Anybody who hasn't been to the signs page and sees this kind of poor language usage will assume the rest can't be taken seriously. I understand that if they don't know better to assume, then they probably aren't seeing much anyway, but I fail to see how there is any advantage in using teen-age "shock" words in communications.

Also, it would be much more advantageous to helping people "stay the course" while trying to break out of the media lock down, if the comments supplied (like most of them do, but not all recently) have an actual purpose other than to call the subject(s) of the comment names.

People who are not fully realized, or trying to fully or more realized via whatever method (fusing a magnetic center, etc) don't need any more distractions that trigger an automatic response.

I submit this in full sincerity that the most people be reached: the work being done here is important. I'm not looking to get more people "in the gang", but only hope they can start seeing clearly what it is they are not seeing. Critical mass is needed, the 100th monkey phenomenon is apt.
We take your point, and indeed are well aware of the need to maintain a certain image for our readers, old and new alike. Of course, that is not to say that we are projecting a false image, we really are as studious and serious about the subjects we deal with as our writings suggest. :-) Now and again however, a little mischievous office sprite gets into our computers and plays tricks.

Given the medium through which we work and subect matter we deal with, it is imperative that we present as formal and authoratative an image as possible, otherwise we risk not being taken seriously, particularly by new readers, as you point out. This responsiblity is not only on us, but on all of those who contribute to our work, which includes everyone on this forum, particularly those that have been here for a while. Newbies arrive and should ideally be impressed by the level of discourse they encounter, which I have no doubt they are. I think I can safely say that, for the high level and extreme importance of the topics dicussed, this forum is one of the best, if not THE best forums on the web.

Joe

Our English literature teacher had mentioned the use of "comic relief" in Shakespeare's tragedies. Since the subject matter is very dramatic and tragic, every now and then a clown or someone similar would come on the stage and say something funny.

I think the Universe creates comments like this serve to balance the sycophantic, brainwashed attitude of the Bush adminstration's supporters, perhaps they serve to balance the lack of indignation by the general public towards their actions. ;)

aurora said:
Our English literature teacher had mentioned the use of "comic relief" in Shakespeare's tragedies. Since the subject matter is very dramatic and tragic, every now and then a clown or someone similar would come on the stage and say something funny.
Yep - releasing a bit of 'horror at the whole situation'-based pressure with a pinch of comedy is crucial to maintaining sanity in times like these. After all, we're human, and very occasionally, humans have to release a bit of the pressure and making a comment like this can do the trick. I agree that if this 'release of pressure' took place everyday that it would diminish the efforts of all involved, but, in this case, it seems pretty appropriate. This is John Bolton, afterall, and if there is a better living example of a mustachioed shite head, I'll eat my hat.

anart said:
Yep - releasing a bit of 'horror at the whole situation'-based pressure with a pinch of comedy is crucial to maintaining sanity in times like these.
You should hear the stuff that gets cut!

We call it emergency room humour.

Back
Top Bottom