Should I Pick up litter

Elfin

The Force is Strong With This One
Me and a friend went to Myrtle Beach last weekend, and as we were sitting on the beach, and as I observing my surroundings I noticed some trash on the beach. As I pondered on this, I was trying to decide whether I should I pick it up. It was driving me crazy to know that it was there. So after 20 minutes or so went by, I couldn't take it. So me being the person that I am, I picked it up. My friend said leave it. I said to him if everyone thought like that this world be one nasty place. All it takes is a little effort to do a part. I know it wasn't my place to pick it up but I don't like litter. Especially on a beautiful beach where our families go on vacation to enjoy family time and relax. How hard is it to do a good deed. I have thought about this since I've came home. Was it really the right thing to do, or should I left it? I know I feel like I did the right thing. I really wish more patrons would put just a little more effort in making our world a cleaner and safer place to enjoy. We need to wake people up and pitch in. Don't forget our children will grow up. Do you want them to live in filth? Maybe we need to pass it on and get more people involved to make our world a place to be proud to live in.

I know it wasn't my place to pick it up but I don't like litter. Especially on a beautiful beach where our families go on vacation to enjoy family time and relax. How hard is it to do a good deed. I have thought about this since I've came home. Was it really the right thing to do, or should I left it?

Hi Elfin. Why do you think it wasnt it your place to pick it up? If not you then who? And why do you think you were troubled by your friend telling you to leave it? You are your own master and you did what you thought was right. Maybe this is something worth weighing - a need for approval and or acceptance by others that maybe influences you more than is valuable?

I'm intrigued as to what has inspired you to post this on a new thread so soon after posting your arrival. Is there something else behind this story you really need to share and get feedback on?

I used to enjoy picking up trash on the beach while my dog was having a run. I had plastic shopping bags with me to pick up her droppings so picking up any rubbish that I came across was an easy addition to our walk.

Was it really the right thing to do, or should I left it?

You saw trash on a beach where it shouldn't be and cleaned it up. Good thing. I see no reason to overthink that. It is something that I'm sure not only yourself but many people appreciate, when they go to the beach. And it is always nice to set a good example, even in "small" things like this.

From my point of view, picking that trash is also a rather symbolic act, and symbols are powerfull.
It is clear that this planet is innecesarely poluted, at all levels, and some STS forces get great pleasure from it.
But an act simple, but with intent has radiations at all levels.
So mi advice is: pick this trash full of intent, joy and presence, and gather the results for sure

I really wish more patrons would put just a little more effort in making our world a cleaner and safer place to enjoy. We need to wake people up and pitch in. Don't forget our children will grow up. Do you want them to live in filth? Maybe we need to pass it on and get more people involved to make our world a place to be proud to live in.
Be unattached to outcome. What is important is what is your motive. You seemed to be frustrated by the indifference of others which could mean that your motive is self focused on how good you are by the back handed comparison to others. To be unattached means to be only concerned with your ability to serve.

Thanks for your thought's. I was a landscaper for 20 years. I first hand saw how so much litter can accumulate in just a small area. It's sad to see so many people can throw trash down and walk away. It seriously bugs me. I think more people should really take a few minutes a day, just to look hard at nature's beauty and appreciate it more.

When I'm in the mountains, in pure nature, I try to pick as much as I can. Small stick after lollipops, pieces of plastic, bottle lids, anythig I can carry in my pockets or collect into small bag. I think you did right. When you feel strongly its right, its probably right - at least on some level. Until you don't do, you don't know what the outcome may be. So is better to give it a try, even if you "don't like" the outcome - everythig there is lessons at least :)

Thanks for your thought's. I was a landscaper for 20 years. I first hand saw how so much litter can accumulate in just a small area. It's sad to see so many people can throw trash down and walk away. It seriously bugs me. I think more people should really take a few minutes a day, just to look hard at nature's beauty and appreciate it more.
It bugs me, too, Elfin. Every day when I take my walk (on country roads), I see sooooo much trash. I pick up what I can, but it is neverending. And I live in a state with this motto about littering: "Don't Mess With Texas". What a joke! People just don't care, it seems. And in my area, it's not just small trash. I have seen furniture, appliances, and even small pets dumped out on the side of the road. What does this say about people?

Every morning when I go to work, I have to get a bag and gloves to pick up the crap (even small latex biohazards) all over my office parking lot and lawn areas. I say a small prayer of thanks that they are at least endeavoring not to reproduce. What in the world goes on at night there? Where do they get these food containers? No restaurants around. Is it everywhere or just my place?

Welcome Elfin; for my part, I think what you did was admirable. However, as others have already said, it might not hurt to reflect on your motivations to see if there is something hiding behind them that it would benefit you to bring into the light to deal with.

At my work place there is litter everyday, both inside and outside. There are many kids roaming there as well as adults, but I think kids/teenagers throw more trash on the ground than adults. But I am not totally sure, despite the amount of litter, I haven't caught people in the act. But I have seen adults throw cigarette butts.

So if there are many people at some location and it looks somewhat clean, I would think there are people tasked with picking the litter up for sure. At my work we have a person with the task, and when he isn't at work someone else do it, myself included.

I've walked through town at night in the weekends where people go out to the nightclubs and fast food restaurants. I have seen a lot of litter, and yet the streets are clean the following days, but I have never seen who picks it up. Either it be street sweepers or the various businesses who clean up outside their streets. But I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few regular people doing that.

If there are no "sweepers", I would think picking some up is the right thing to do, but I tend to not throw any and don't like to pick up others peoples trash. But I have to admit I been throwing tobacco products myself, with the thought, that it will be picked up. But I do also decide to put it in my pockets at other times.

I think there is no point picking up where there are a lot of people and litter, there must be hired people for that, and it will be picked up in that case. Because the litter just keeps coming.

Me and a friend went to Myrtle Beach last weekend, and as we were sitting on the beach, and as I observing my surroundings I noticed some trash on the beach. As I pondered on this, I was trying to decide whether I should I pick it up. It was driving me crazy to know that it was there. So after 20 minutes or so went by, I couldn't take it. So me being the person that I am, I picked it up. My friend said leave it. I said to him if everyone thought like that this world be one nasty place. All it takes is a little effort to do a part. I know it wasn't my place to pick it up but I don't like litter.

Faced with similar circumstances, I would react the same, Elfin. We forget or are clueless, that we are visitors on this Planet, among other's and we should exercise some conscious "respect" to our natural surroundings? The way I see it, cleanliness is part of self-discipline and helps to build moral values and integrity, in my view. It also gives us, a sense of order and a platform to exercise our own organizational skills, towards our own behavior and habits.

In the circumstances described, with trash carelessly discarded on the beach, you were given a choice - to either leave the situation, as you found it or to use your judgment, to make a correction. Actions speak louder then words and generally, it only takes "one person" - setting an example - for other's to follow.

Some people would be inclined to "add" to the garbage pile, where as, if the area was unadulterated and left in it's natural state, people tend to be more prone and conscious of their actions and behavior.

Yes definitely pick up trash. I remember the first time I did it, and I felt self conscious like I would be judged for actually caring about something and taking responsibility for making the world a better place. I think taking responsibility is not the done thing in liberal circles. Is picking up trash a conservative value, and doing so advertises to the world ones personal values?
Just wondering
My husband and I cleaned up a stream about six years ago. It took us a few months but eventually we pulled out all the road tyres, road cones, shopping trolleys, bottles and plastic, an old suitcase etc, etc.
And you know what it’s still clean and now other people have been improving it further.
So yes let’s all clean up!

Some body said, our environment is the extension of our Body. Having a clean environment declutters the mind. Generally, allowing throwing trash in public space can be slippery slope that needs lot of effort to reverse it. Currently, India government going through super effort to change the centuries old habit of not caring about the public and private spaces. Here is one video of it that used famous bollywood song tune.
So sorry: Pollution se agar tera sar chakraya toh Odd-Even apnaye

Back
Top Bottom