Shapes in the Dark

Alexandra Drake

The Force is Strong With This One
I have just finished reading the post about 'Sue and Bob' and in the C's chat that followed there was mention of certain brain disorders that make you see things differently (telescope-vision-style, things looking closer and further away than they are)
I have something that is different...but could be a chemical or brain disorder...?

Sometimes I wake up at night time and I feel (I am sure I am) fully awake. There will be a big shape floating above my bed or next to my bed and sometimes I force myself to just lie there and watch it for a while, while my brain tells me its not there and my eyes are 100% sure they are seeing it - and eventually I will just reach out and touch it to try and rationalize...at which point it isn't there anymore. It always stays untill I try and touch it.

This has happened to me so many times I can't count and in the beginning I thought it was a "left over dream" but as it happened more and more I started paying attention when it did happen and I feel completely awake.
It started when I was really little and there was a shape sitting in a chair next to my bed. (still not sure what that was and it has always been something I would like to understand)

It is not a scary experience, sometimes I get a fright, but I don't feel fear.

I have done some online research, but nothing has really given me any answers. What is it? Is there something there? Or am I just seeing things? If I am...then why / what is causing it?

Thanks!

Hi Catherine,

I feel relieved to read you because I've been experiencing that for years now. Most of the time I see people (very rarely I happen to see animals - snakes)
They appear to be so real that even in the dark I can see their face

I'm not frightened (shoked sometimes though).

I thought it was when I was about to fall in the paradoxal sleep witch is the sleel you dream in.
I have no explanation until now and didn't find any help on Internet.

Just one thing: it began when my grandmother died.

ELTE

It's always good to know you are not alone in your experiences :)

I havn't seen a lot of detail in my dark-shapes, no faces. The time I saw a person sitting in the chair in my room it was too dark to see anything but a silhoette. The shapes I see now are thick, swirling masses of grey or black. They can take any form or size.

I wonder if seeing detail like you do is somehow a 'more advanced' version of the 'problem'. (I am reluctant to call it a problem because there has been no harm done.) But if it is related to a chemical imbalance then obviously I would want to correct that...
it seems though that it is somehow related to sleep? have you ever experienced anything like it when you are not in bed?

Apart from the normal "I think I saw a black shape move across the lounge / out the corner of my eye" (which could have been my cat running past haha!) I haven't had anything like so vivid while I am not lying in bed.

Like I said though; I am really confident that I am awake when it happens - at the same time, I know how powerful dreams can be and can seem so real.

Grammar correction: "I haven't had anything so vivid..."

Also a note: No one had passed away when these things started for me.

Hi Catherine --

There is a similar (although not identical discussion) going on here, which I wanted to make you aware of if you haven't seen it since some of the advice there may benefit you too:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=16448.0

Catherine said:
Grammar correction: "I haven't had anything so vivid..."

Remember you can always modify your original post, so that you don't need to post a correction later on.

Hi Shijing,

I have read that link (thanks for sharing) but it isn't discribing what I experience at all. As I mentioned, I have no fear during these moments, and I also have no problem getting up to grab a glass of water and then going right back to sleep afterwards. The moments are oddly calm actually.

I don't have any problems sleeping in general and don't have a fear of being abducted or being visited by greys.

The advice they are giving is definitly good advice, but I don't think it links to my questions.

Either way, I am doing the EE program and I do read before bed :)

I think the main thing, in response to your link, is that there is absolutely no fear in my experience and mentally - I don't link the shapes to aliens or abduction.

PS...I couldn't find the 'edit post button' :)

Catherine said:
Either way, I am doing the EE program and I do read before bed :)

I think the main thing, in response to your link, is that there is absolutely no fear in my experience and mentally - I don't link the shapes to aliens or abduction.

That's good -- I had in mind primarily the advice about E/E as well as the continuous input of knowledge. It sounds like you are taken care of there, so that's all you really need to extract I think.

Catherine said:

Is there a "modify" button? I know you are blocked below a certain number of posts -- I thought it was 10, but maybe I'm mistaken. Apologies if so, and if you don't have access to it now, I think you soon will.

Shijing said:
Catherine said:

Is there a "modify" button? I know you are blocked below a certain number of posts -- I thought it was 10, but maybe I'm mistaken. Apologies if so, and if you don't have access to it now, I think you soon will.

The "modify button" is only visible after 50 posts. :)

Gertrudes said:
Shijing said:
Catherine said:

The "modify button" is only visible after 50 posts. :)
that's good to know - I thought I was being really blind.

Hi Catherine,

I have never experienced that when I'm not in bed. I do have some sleep problems (I sometimes resist to not fall in sleep) so I suppose it's when the brain wants to cease to think and enter the sleep process that I see those persons. The fact that I'm not afraid of it is maybe a sign that it's not an issue but more the result of a bad habit (I think a lot when in bed)

ELTE

Back
Top Bottom