Seeing red: Spoiled meat may look fresh

G

Recently I had to make a trip to Walmart , I was in a big hurry and needed to pick up some hamburger. I broke my cardinal rule never to buy meat from them and purchased some hamburger rather then make a trip to another store.

As I was cooking the meat I thought it had a slightly spoiled smell but was reassured by the fact that the hamburger had been pink.

Twelve hours later I had all the symptoms of food poisoning and came across this article.

0607_spoiled-meat_ov1.jpg

HOW OLD? This ground beef, treated with carbon monoxide, was still red eight weeks after its sell-by date.
Attention, meat shoppers: Your supermarket may be selling ground beef and steaks packaged with gas that keeps it looking red for a month or longer. Our tests found that meat packaged using that method stayed red even if it was spoiled.

The process, used in factory-wrapped (or case-ready) meat, replaces most of the oxygen in the package with other gases. Those include tiny amounts of carbon monoxide, which react with the pigment in meat, producing a red color. The shelf life for ground beef sealed in that mix of gases can be extended from about 14 days to 28 days, and about 10 days to 35 days for whole cuts.

Some supermarket chains, including Kroger and Publix, refuse to carry

I don't buy any foods that are labeled under the wally world brand. I just feel icky about it . Every since the announcement came out about the radio chips in/on there products I have felt squeamish about it. I tend to not shop there any more, unless I can't get out of it.

Funny - my dad last night cooked up some mystery meat from - well you guessed it, it was okay before he cooked it, but afterward the house stunk and both cats were hiding behind the washer and dryer - okay what kind of meat strikes fear into the hearts of predators - wall-mart meat - I won't eat it, and my cats won't either - it would be funny if it wasn't a fixed part of reality. Who shops at wall-mart anyway? *Shruggs* - look at what wall-mart does to towns - why are you shopping there anyway? I prefer mom and pop - gas stations, restaurants, and convinience stores, etc. - silly me - huh.

Back
Top Bottom