Sausage rolls - gluten free

Ollie

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
Traditionally made with puff pastry and pork, well buckwheat pastry doesn’t extend to puff pastry (or not yet!), so a shortcrust pastry is used instead. Often considered as Christmas or party food, they are a handy snack for use during the rest of the year (high protein and low carbohydrate).

Ingredients:
Pastry mix
1 1/2C (240g) Buckwheat flour
1/4tsp salt
125g butter or lard (cubed and cold),
1 large egg, beaten, or 1/4C (62.5ml) iced water if egg sensitive
1tsp (5ml) cider vinegar
3tbsp (45ml) iced water

1 lightly beaten egg – egg wash

Filling –sausage meat
450g ground/minced meat and herbs/spices *

Method:
Pastry
Place the butter or lard in the freezer for 15mins to get really cold.

In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt, lifting into the air to aerate the flour.
Take the butter or lard (fat) out of the freezer, cut into cubes and toss into the flour mix. You need to work confidently and quickly, with light fingertips, pressing the fat gently together in the flour mix, and lifting the flour to aerate it. The ‘rubbed in’ flour with evenly distributed fat will look crumbly, although as there is a lot of fat it will start to bind together into larger pieces. This is acceptable.

In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg with the cider vinegar and iced water.

Stir the egg mix into the ‘rubbed in’ flour using a flat knife to cut, stir and bring the pastry together. When it looks as if it is all evenly distributed use your hands to bring the pastry together into a ball, cleaning up the bowl as you go along. It will seem impossible at first, looking too dry, but it does come together even if you have to make more than one ball and to it, and combining them. The resultant ball of pastry is sticky, more so than traditional pastry would be.

Knead the ball of pastry for 2-3mins with a little buckwheat flour, so that you can handle it.

Cut the ball into three portions, (for ease of handling later), flatten, then cover each portion of pastry with clingfilm and place in a fridge for 1 hr (it makes the pastry less elastic and easier to roll).

*Sausage meat
Pork (Laura’s mix for breakfast sausage)
450g (1lb) ground/minced pork
1tsp salt
1/2tsp thyme
1tsp sage (as it’s sausage – LK-J)
1/2tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2tsp ground garlic powder
1tsp summer savory
1/2tsp marjoram

*Lamb (this what I used)
450g (1lb) ground/minced lamb
1tsp salt
1tsp mint
1tsp rosemary
1/2tsp garlic
(Optional: lemon zest and chopped olives, and lard if there is insufficient fat in the meat)

*Chicken/Turkey mince and bacon
450g (1lb) ground/minced chicken/turkey mince and chopped streaky bacon
1tsp salt
1tsp tarragon
1/2tsp garlic
(Optional: 1tbsp apple sauce and 1tsp mustard powder, and lard if there is insufficient fat in the meat)

Bratwurst flavour mix
1tsp salt
1tsp marjoram
1/2tsp ground ginger
1/2tsp nutmeg

*And, a Christmas mix
450g (1lb) ground/minced turkey
1tsp salt
1tbsp apple sauce
1/2tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2tsp ground cinnamon
1/2tsp ground cloves
1/2tsp ground nutmeg

Whilst waiting for the pastry to finish resting, mix the ground/minced meat with the herbs and spices, and make into three balls. Lightly flour a chopping board or work surface, and roll each of the three balls into a long cylinder, sausage shape, approximately 1 inch (25mm) diameter, or to your preferred thickness. Cut into 2 inch (50mm) lengths (although the length is up to you – commercial lengths in the UK are often 6in (150mm) long.

Making the rolls
Remove the pastry from the fridge and knead the pastry a little with the heel of the hand to soften it up.

Lightly flour the pastry board (worktop, etc), the rolling pin, and on the top of the pastry. Take one portion, roll the pastry with light, gentle, even pressure. After each roll turn the pastry a quarter turn until you get the desired size, a rectangle approximately 4 3/4in (120mm) wide, and a thickness of about 1/8in (2-3mm). Cut off the excess and reuse until it is used up. Keep adding flour to the pastry board and top of the flour as required, as well as when the pastry starts to stick to the rolling pin. It will seem as if it is getting too dry, it’s OK. The width is calculated to be a loose fit around the sausage meat roll.
Transfer one of the cut sausage meat lengths to the rolled pastry, starting at one edge. Cut the long length of the pastry to the length of the sausage. Remove this cut pastry and sausage meat. Brush (approx 1/4in (5mm) width) the short side closest to you with the egg wash (beaten egg mix, or just water), fold over the other edge so that it is a loose fit over the sausage and seal lightly with finger pressure where the egg wash is.
Cut the top of the pastry with three slots using the blade of a knife, and brush with the egg wash (browns the top – optional).
Repeat with the other lengths of sausage meat until this portion of pastry is used up, and then repeat with the other portions of pastry.

Preheat the oven to 400F / 200C / Gas Mk 6.

Place all the sausage rolls on a baking sheet and bake for 15mins.
Remove and cool on a wire rack, and then store in an airtight tin.

You can eat them either cold or warm. They freeze well too.

Photo below:
007-1.jpg

Endymion said:
truth seeker said:
They look so professional, flaky and yummy! :)

I tried them recently (thanks Trevrizent!) and I can tell you, they are wonderful! :P

And these are even better than the ones that you ate, the pastry is softer. :)

Looks delicious. Must try this recipe out. Thanks for sharing Trevrizent. :)

Thanks, Trevrizent - my stomach is growling just looking at the pictures. :lol: I'll be trying this recipe over the weekend. Great to hear that they freeze well too! :D

:wow: Those look delicious! I'm going to go through my pantry today and make sure I've got enough on hand to make some of these. I'm missing calzone and meat pie for some reason.

Thank you!

Brilliant!!
I never thought of the 'rubbing in' method while experimenting with the buckwheat.. :rolleyes: doughhh, :lol:

I guess it may then work for scones too....mmmust try it out.

Thank yoouuu!

Just what is "summer savory" anyhow? I've never seen a spice in the store called that. :huh: Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Mrs. Peel said:
Just what is "summer savory" anyhow? I've never seen a spice in the store called that. :huh: Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.
In the states, I think it's just called savory. Not very common so you may need to check in larger markets.

I've only found summer savory in with the fresh herbs in the super market. I've never seen any dried, crushed savory. At least not since I started looking, only the fresh stuff.

I finally made this pastry tonight, though with an apple filling. It was rather dry but *did* hold together beautifully. So I am not sure what to do- perhaps add a little more fat?

D Rusak said:
I finally made this pastry tonight, though with an apple filling. It was rather dry but *did* hold together beautifully. So I am not sure what to do- perhaps add a little more fat?
That would work, have fun experimenting, you may like to consider the baking time too. Learning is fun, get the feel of it. :)

Back
Top Bottom