Saturated Fats, Cholesterol Lard and Vitamin D

Michael Martin said:
I used to eat it over rice and beans (with an extra helping of olive oil) but, just recently learning about lectins, I'm still in the process of making the switch to buckwheat.
Maybe I can cook the whole buckwheat grains like rice?

I cook buckwheat groats this way. These are hulled buckwheat grains. I don't think you can cook whole buckwheat seeds like this with the seed hulls in tact - at least I've never tried this. Sometimes I find the occasional hull in my buckwheat groats and usually have to spit it out.

You could also try replacing the rice with quinoa too.

Mrs. P, just try to get meat and fats into your body in the mornings and things will be a LOT easier.

Laura said:
Mrs. P, just try to get meat and fats into your body in the mornings and things will be a LOT easier.

Well, I think I'm actuallly gaining weight from eating so much olive oil! :lol: I've been frying stuff in that cause I still can't find good lard and if I want duck fat, I either have to shoot them down myself or order it on-line. Prolly the latter. ;)

The organic turkey bacon sure is tasty though, and expensive!!! I've been using a make-shift steamer basket in a pot with the lid on to cook the frozen veggies, but it does't work real well.

And Scarlet, I DO have a blender. It's a food processor I don't have. :) I will try your hummus receipe when I start introducing other foods. I love hummus too!!

Michael Martin said:
Just wanted to add another supplier of buckwheat flour and whole buckwheat:
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/search.aspx?find=buckwheat

And they have a promo code valid until Aug 31:

SUMMARY: 10% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER* from Thursday, August 26, 2010 thru Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 6:00PM PST. Simply enter the coupon code HEATWAVE during checkout. This week we're introducing Freeze Dried Mozzarella Cheese, Tomato Powder, and an unbelievable clearance price on Dehydrated Potato Dices. Save on these and all of your favorites for a limited time.

They also have buckets and oxygen absorbers for proper long-term storage.

It doesn't say their stuff is organic... don't know if that matters? :huh:

Oops, my error, sorry! :headbash: So, I was inspired to make hummus this morning and I've already eaten about a cup of it..:P I've been feeling a bit slower today, but it could just be that it's Friday.. :umm: I eat seeds and beans all the time.. :shock:

Scarlet said:
Oops, my error, sorry! :headbash: So, I was inspired to make hummus this morning and I've already eaten about a cup of it..:P I've been feeling a bit slower today, but it could just be that it's Friday.. :umm: I eat seeds and beans all the time.. :shock:

You might want to cut them all out for a couple weeks and then test one at a time. Doing that was quite revealing for me.

I can't do chick peas so hummus is out for me. Chick peas and other lentils give me awful stomach cramps. For years beans and lentils was mostly what I ate. Thing is I never would have connected it as the problem until I did the ultra simple diet then reintroduced them. It was an awful experience.

BTW I also cook buckwheat grains like rice (Kasha). Nice for a fruit, eh?
My daughter likes it and sometimes I then throw it in the wok and do a stir fry with veggies as a vegetable fried rice substitute. Too bad I can't eat it though. My stomach does'nt feel so great after consuming buckwheat. Since everyone else in our house can enjoy it in various forms- grains for stir fry, flour for pancakes and breads, as a hot cereal (bob's organic whole grain creamy buckwheat), etc, we cook with it a lot.

I know some of us in US NE were looking for duck fat. Here is a good location with reasonable price
http://miva.fossilfarmsostrich.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?.

Mrs P, what about making ghee? It's pretty easy to do if you can source some decent quality butter and have a glass pan for the oven:

_http://thereluctanthippiefamily.blogspot.com/2009/10/recipe-for-making-ghee-clarified-butter.html said:
* Preheat your oven to 250
* Put a large block of organic, preferably unsalted butter into a metal dish or pan.
* Leave in the oven for 45-60 minutes
* Take it out and carefully pour the golden fat from the top (ghee), making sure that the white liquid at the bottom stays in the pan.
* Discard the white liquid.
* Keep in glass jars and refrigerate.

This website might have been posted or already known.
There is an excellent site I stumbled across when I was looking into possibly raising Magdalena lard pigs. It is called woolypig.com.
Here I found an excellent essay about different types of pigs, the impact of feeds on the quality of fat, and detailed instructions of how to butcher and make coldcuts.
Real butchering is becoming a lost art and even in Europe, where the quality of cold cuts is unsurpassed, nitrates are often used in cold curing because of the risks involved if the process goes wrong.
I highly recommend essay; it also includes links to different farms, containing information about them and how to order.

If you want to find a good pig(pork) you must not buy it in stores. Nowdays they are all grown by the so-called Austrian type of diet. Pigs are ready for slaughter in about 3 or 4 months, twice less than normally. Of course, if you have a farm and need a credit banks asks you to work as profital as they want.
In my country(Cro), as Herr Eisenheim said Balkan, we eat a lot of pork. You will be disguised what kind of food are we preparing from pigs, even her blood is specialty.
Pork fat, lard was common meal during the day. In this area(Balkan) people lived long lives, that's why ˝they˝ want us in EU, and that why every generation in this area have lived during, at least, one war.
Get back! Pork and lard is now a luxury in my country, only few people can afford to have pork 1 or 2 days in week. Now we have European law that no one can sell pig if he don't have farm of at least 50 pigs.
I think my post of war against pork in my country explained her various qualities!!!

Found a good chart that has a breakdown of different foods and their fat content:

_http://astrogirl.com/2010/03/11/fat-content-of-various-protein-sources/

I am curious if it is possible to stop taking certain drugs that are designed to lower cholesterol, specifically one called "Crestor" , I have been reading a lot of the info here and it sounds like these drugs are worse then the actual cholesterol itself.

referring to this.
* "6 The new cholesterol-lowering drugs, the statins, do prevent cardio-vascular disease, but this is due to other mechanisms than cholesterol-lowering. Unfortunately, they also stimulate cancer in rodents, disturb the functions of the muscles, the heart and the brain and pregnant women taking statins may give birth to children with malformations more severe than those seen after thalidomide."

I have talked with my doctor about this and as great as he is as my doctor I feel sometimes they (he) intends to go by the book and I am not certain that's always the best decision for my health!
I hate taking drugs to combat anything because I always end up having to take another to combat the side effect of the first drug.

Any suggestions? :halo: :shock: :scared: :huh:

Hi HellFire,

Crestor was listed as "Do Not Use" by this website called Worstpills.org Unfortunately you need to be a subscriber now for full access. Hopefully a member here might be a subscriber. Also do a search for "Statin(s)" on SOTT.net and here for more information. :)

Vulcan59 said:
Hi HellFire,

Crestor was listed as "Do Not Use" by this website called Worstpills.org Unfortunately you need to be a subscriber now for full access. Hopefully a member here might be a subscriber. Also do a search for "Statin(s)" on SOTT.net and here for more information. :)

Thanks Volcan59, I will do my search right now !
I tried doing a search on "Toxicity issues for crestor" some interesting stuff there as well.
I just might join that sight as well.

Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom