RYO for flavor

monotonic

The Living Force
I thought I would make a thread on RYO and other tobacco smoking techniques. I've gathered enough observations to make a small guide.

When I hear people talking about RYO tobacco and it's harshness or smoothness and flavor or lack thereof, I am always skeptical because how the cigarette is prepared has as much to do with flavor as what tobacco is used. Every tobacco has degrees of harshness and flavor that can be adjusted by changing the humidity of the tobacco or packing of the cigarette.

The flavor also depends on whether you use a filter, what kind of filter it is, the ambient humidity and temperature, the time of day, and certainly how your body reacts to smoking.

Some smokers can never handle more than a few cigarettes in a day. Many others have a higher tolerance, which seems to strongly affect preference in general. I fall into the first category and I find that reducing harshness is a necessity, whereas more regular smokers don't really experience harshness the way I do, which makes sense given their higher tolerance. They are more likely to be happy with rolling a cigarette quickly without much controls.

Even between people who have similar tolerance, preferences for flavor strongly impact the preferred "recipe" for a cigarette.

The starting point for determining your preferred recipe is to discover something about the cigarette you roll that you don't like. Harshness is a common complaint. With that as a starting point, there are several ways to reduce it.

Counterintuitively, filters often increase harshness. Filters you buy from the tobacco store are usually some kind of plastic fiber which strongly affects the flavor of the tobacco. I found that I prefer to use cotton from vitamin bottles. Cotton balls often contain astringent or residual chlorine from bleaching, but cotton from pill bottles seems to be very clean - I would guess that it must be chlorine-free in order to preserve the nutrients in the vitamins (sometimes it is rayon instead of cotton). One can come up with theories about vitamin residue in the cotton being a problem, but that is as yet hypothetical for me because I have never had a problem with it. If however you were allergic to soybeans and you used cotton from a vitamin that included soybean oil, there is little doubt it could cause a problem. I use a cigarette holder and pack it with cotton so that it provides some air resistance, but less resistance than the cigarette itself. I keep the cotton straight. Balled up, tangled cotton in my experience loses effectiveness as a filter, you might as well not use one. I take the filters out of these and reuse them with my own cotton filters:

https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Filter-Disposable-Filtered-Holders/dp/B0028LIV7I/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1496651719&sr=8-2&keywords=Cigarette+water+Filters

In general, humidity and packing work against each other. So if your tobacco is dryer and you want to have a similar result, then you will want to pack the cigarette tighter. This is useful for when your tobacco has dried out a bit too much but you can't wait. The flavor won't change too much and the harshness will probably be acceptable.

Most cigarettes have little humidity. They are treated with propylene glycol and something is done to them so that if you drip water onto the end, it will just roll off no matter how hard you try to wet the tobacco. For a manufacturer this makes sense - it makes the flavor consistent between cartons. But for RYO, you want to be able to control humidity because it gives you much more flexibility towards the intended outcome.

70-80 degrees humidity seems to be the "goldilocks zone". A slightly moist tobacco in my experience will be more harsh than a dry tobacco, but as you increase humidity, somewhere between 70-80% you will find the harshness falls sharply. And then as you go above that it returns in a different form. The moist smoke can be so thick that it will burn your mouth or your lips and will fowl your cigarette holder if you use one. The best point will be different for each blend of tobacco. Some blends you may want to keep dry. Don't let cigarettes sit for very long after rolling because they dry out fast.

How hard the tobacco is packed in the cigarette is also important. I use small 70mm cigarette papers, and I find 1.1g of tobacco per cigarette is a good starting point. I've found that less packing in general means more sweetness, although super-light packing has it's own problems. For harsher tobaccos such as American Spirit blue can, I tend to pack harder around 1.2g. The less harsh the tobacco, the lighter I can pack the cigarette. But light packing also makes the cigarette stronger biologically - too much lighter than the goldilocks zone and there is a sharp rise in the strength of the cigarette, which is too much for me. But for those of you who want your tobacco to be stronger biologically, try making your cigarette lighter rather than heavier. You may be surprised.

The type of paper you use has a strong effect. I find whiter, paper-like papers give a sweeter, less harsh taste. One thing I do to all papers though is tear off the gum strip. It's unnecessary and can mask the flavor of the tobacco a surprising amount. I'll explain this later with rolling.

Let's say instead of reducing harshness, you want a stronger cigarette. In my experience lighter packing is important here. Also lower humidity if it is high. Simply putting more tobacco in the cigarette works to some extent, but it usually works better to maximise the tobacco you have. If you really need more tobacco it's more efficient to get a longer cigarette roller and longer papers. That way you don't strain the recipe to increase strength.

The cut of the tobacco matters, although most cigarette tobacco is cut the same way. More finely shredded tobacco can be packed tighter without harshness, although RYO tobacco is usually already as fine as it can be. If you have powder left at the bottom of your container though, I found it can have great flavor if packed very dense, at 1.4g for a 70mm cigarette. Cigarettes made this way can be flavorful with little strength or bite. If you prefer this you can put your tobacco in the blender to shred it finely. But it must be done in small amounts and tends to dry out the tobacco during the process.

I use the common cigarette roller that you can get cheaply at any tobacco store. They can be frustrating when they don't work. One of the most common problems is when the edge of the paper comes around to the top, hits the other end of the paper and instead of rolling around the cigarette, crumples up or goes the other way, producing a misshapen or totally broken cigarette. One thing that can help a lot is to take the part of the paper that goes in first, and curl it so that it follows the shape of the eventual cigarette. This way it will naturally tuck under the other end of the paper when it comes around. This will increase the number of wrinkle-free cigarettes you can make and reduce the casualties. When it does go horribly wrong, you can turn the roller backwards, grab the paper with tweezers and feed it back out to try again. This way you don't have to dump the tobacco out.

The gum strip on these papers is unnecessary and not good for flavor in my experience. I fold it over, wet the crease with my tongue and rip it off. The feathered edge that remains works just as well, but don't try this with scissors because without the feathered edge the paper won't stick to itself and your cigarette will come apart.

One theory as to how the humidity/packing tradeoff works is that the amount of air in the cigarette counts against the humidity of the tobacco. So a lighter cigarette will contain more air and so less humidity taken as a whole.

If you are looking for dramatic effects, what it boils down is that there is an humidity "zone" and a cigarette pack "zone" and if you line them up you can get something dramatically different from the usual cigarette flavor.

Near-transparent cigarette papers might be more useful for getting a savory type flavor as opposed to sweet, but I don't know so much about that since I usually don't go for savory.

With enough datapoints we could draw a contour map of all the different recipes and their results. Although it might be too subjective to be very accurate.

Thanks for posting this, monotonic. Lots of information and answers to a few questions I've had. Interesting find, too, on the water filters!

I think of the ember of the cigarette as a sort of atomizer for the tobacco. The humidity, packing, type of paper and whatever else determine how it burns and how the the smoke forms.

One interesting thing to come out of this is the suggestion that a good recipe makes better use of the tobacco. With a good recipe you can use less of it.

There is a lot of uncharted territory here. For instance I think I remember experimenting with 60-70 degrees humidity. And there is also the fact that I haven't experimented with savory recipes at all hardly. I would have to ask someone else how you get a savory cigarette because I'm not sure how. But it probably lies in the uncharted territory, perhaps less humidity with a different kind of paper, packed harder?

This can't be considered definitive because it's only my own observations. What would improve it greatly is if others chimed in to add more datapoints and fill in the gaps.

For smoking tobacco, humidity is not key, moisture is the real key. For best results use a moisture meter and the tobacco should be around 12%, too much and you get a real slow smoke, too little and it burns too fast. You can get a moisture meter fairly inexpensive, put a fist full in your hand and put the meter in until it registers. I make my own combination of 50% American Organic Flu cured and 50% Canadian Organic Flu cured leaf that I shred myself with a home shredder. Works out very similar to the old American Spirit tobacco and really is a joy to smoke, IMHO.

Thanks for putting all this information together, monotonic. I am one of those who cannot tolerate more than a few cigarettes a day and harshness is definitely a consideration. RYO cigarettes are generally much easier to tolerate, as I noticed that even the mildest American Spirits can cause anxiety or dizziness at times. Those aqua filters look like a great solution, will try them!!

Here is a data point.

With American Spirit in the light blue can, I just had a super smooth cigarette. The tobacco humidity is 70%, room humidity is %25, room temperature is 86F. I used 1.1g tobacco in a 70mm cigarette with a Bugler original paper, minus the gum strip. The taste was pretty similar to the smell of the raw tobacco. If I puffed for too long it would start to get harsh, and doing that repeatedly would change the flavor of the whole cigarette. So I knew immediately to set the timing of my puffs and not go over. This way the cigarette was smooth and had the same flavor from beginning to end.

It went to my head after the first few inhales, so I mostly just puffed it the rest of the way. Yesterday I used 0.9g because 1g was also too strong. I can inhale a whole 0.9g cigarette but not a 1g or 1.1g. From past experience, I could probably inhale 1.2g just fine, although it would be a little thick.

I used one of the water filters, except I replaced the filter inside with a dry pill bottle cotton filter.

My brother tried one with me. He said it tasted like plastic. Maybe it was the fact that he didn't use a filter.

The mind boggles.

Thanks for the info monotonic :)

I've tried the pure cotton filters and there also biodegradable ones on the market, both of which for me at least tend to result in a harsher flavour and don't tend to seal very well because they are more malleable.

A trick I got from Nicklebleu is to use 2 filters, this works well for bringing down the harshness as well as using less tobacco, as I find when I m at work I don't have the time to smoke a full one, and that means I waste more tobacco. Considering the ridiculous price of tobacco here, it's saved me a bit of cash too :)

Back
Top Bottom