Russian Borscht

RGG

Jedi Master
Here's my absolute favorite vegetable soup recipe just in time for the summer vegetable harvest. I'm not sure of the naming but I learned how to make this from my Ukrainian mother-in-law (an all around great cook) and in true Ukrainian Baba cooking style there is no exact recipe so I have approximated the amounts.

1 Tbsp grapeseed oil or butter (traditional) for frying
2 cups chopped cabbage ( approx. 2cm square)
1 cup chopped carrot ( I cut mine into 1/2 coins)
1 cup diced onion
2 potatoes peeled and cubed
1 14 oz can of whole tomatoes diced (can also use 2 or 3 fresh tomatoes)
8 cups of chicken broth or chicken-style vegetable broth
1/4 cup fresh minced dill
s&p to taste

In a large soup pot saute cabbage, carrots and onions for approximately 5 min. Add broth, potatoes and chopped canned tomatoes. Stir and simmer for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Season with salt and pepper then stir in dill just before serving. This soup tastes even better the next day so keep left-overs in the fridge for later. Enjoy!

Rx

Laura said:
Isn't borscht supposed to have beets in it?

That is precisely what I thought when I was told the recipe! The only thing I can think of is that since she was Ukrainian and Ukrainians are famous for their borscht recipe containing beets, this one is so named because it does not; It was missing the infamous ingredient so they named it after the Russians! Of course this is only a guess and I would like not to get myself "in hot water" debating cultural dynamics I really have no clue about so instead I'll encourage you to put the vegetables in!

Rx

Back
Top Bottom