Russian astrologer Svetlana Dragan

gottathink

Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
This theory of time being the fourth dimension is now outdated. From my rudimentary understanding it is at least being strongly debated amongst physicists.
I understand time to exist as a measurement of the relative movements and positions of objects in space. Time does not exist as a dimension separate to the position of the objects it is measuring.
In other words it is a scale that our 3D brains use to make sense of the cause and effects of the things around us that are interacting.

Truth&Acceptance

The Living Force
Time is not considered to be a dimension.
Hm, in layman words, space-time is actually 4D (3+1 dimensions), and in strictly 'scientific' (physical) jargon, all calculations/integrations (especially in gravitational and high energy physics, and 'usual' quantum field theory; at least to my knowledge) are done over 4D - lagrangian density and consequently action, when 'calculating' with them, all contain something like:

3064b83e63a4465d15d9c236fe7097bd564b375f

where n (number of overall dimensions; or D in some notation) is usually 4.

Or Einstein-Hilbert action explicitly, used in Einstein equation (general relativity):

cba2cab52da824a41c7d90c21e3706b1be580fbd

That's not to say the above is correct description of Reality, just that people, when speaking about our everyday world, commonly consider spacetime to be 4D.

gottathink

Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
Hm, in layman words, space-time is actually 4D (3+1 dimensions), and in strictly 'scientific' (physical) jargon, all calculations/integrations (especially in gravitational and high energy physics, and 'usual' quantum field theory; at least to my knowledge) are done over 4D - lagrangian density and consequently action, when 'calculating' with them, all contain something like:

3064b83e63a4465d15d9c236fe7097bd564b375f

where n (number of overall dimensions; or D in some notation) is usually 4.

Or Einstein-Hilbert action explicitly, used in Einstein equation (general relativity):

cba2cab52da824a41c7d90c21e3706b1be580fbd

That's not to say the above is correct description of Reality, just that people, when speaking about our everyday world, commonly consider spacetime to be 4D.
I see your point of most people are familiar with time as the fourth dimension and so automatically consider the next step to be the 5th.

Truth&Acceptance

The Living Force
This theory of time being the fourth dimension is now outdated. From my rudimentary understanding it is at least being strongly debated amongst physicists.
If it is outdated, or strongly debated, I honestly don't know about it, and moreover, this 4D stuff described above is still taught at most (if not all; to my knowledge) Universities - at least in (exact) physics classes/courses (unfortunately).

I understand time to exist as a measurement of the relative movements and positions of objects in space. Time does not exist as a dimension separate to the position of the objects it is measuring.
In other words it is a scale that our 3D brains use to make sense of the cause and effects of the things around us that are interacting.
What about cycles and waves (periodicity in general; and the Wave in particular), do they still 'contain' time (not one-dimensional though as we 'perceive' it) even if nobody (consciousness as we know it) is observing/measuring it?

It's quite late here (again 1D time :-D) and my brain is half asleep already so I'll call it a night.
However, maybe some answers to these questions about 'time' can be found in Ark's talks/videos from last year:

Top Bottom