Runaway Train - only it wasn't - it was an invasion.

Ruth

The Living Force
This morning I had a rather colourful dream which seemed to be set in the past at a farm house in the country: maybe in Europe, possibly somewhere in France.

-----

I was in the army and wearing rather plain looking green wool uniform and I was part of a group, made up of a sergeant, corporal, another private (just like me) and a female in civis. I got the feeling that in this dream I was a man.

Our job was certainly dull and quiet. It consisted of looking after a warehouse (barn) full of food produce and farming equipment (oh excitement!). The sergeant told me I had to re-lable all the onions - or they may have been garlic because someone had weighed them incorrectly and labeled them with an incorrect weight on their outside bag.

Later, my sergeant asked me why I hadn't done the job. I had to tell him that not only had I forgotten to do it, I had mislaid the labeling machine... He certainly wasn't too pleased and I looked extreemly incompetent. At that moment all Hell broke loose. A train packed full of Germans in full dress uniform came screaming past. It was a very fast, swanky looking train all nice new and shiney (bells and whistles stuff). The Germans were invading and apparrently this was how they sent in their advance party.

I thought to myself as I watched the train go screaming past - "Pity we didn't do anything to the line. That might have stopped them before they had a chance to get very far" I then hoped that somebody further up the line had had the foresight to bomb the train tracks.

As the train went past I could see into the carridges. There were rows and rows of hard faced soldiers all with new uniforms and equipment. Some very smartly dressed officers with their serving staff. I could definately see what the appeal of these individuals was. They certainly made a statement and the visual impact was enough to make you stop and look usually with your mouth open. In one of the carridges I saw 2 black men who were in chained like animals and who were fighting. I couldn't figure out why they were fighting, especially as they were chained. Strange. Later reflection revealed that they may have been kept like that for 'amusement'. Still more strange.

Just then, the female in civis came running up to me screaming at me (and the other private) to go and get help from the local village they would 'protect the farm'. And I thought "Oh shit, we're doomed", and I was in a quandry as to what to do next. This was because we were going to get pickup and arrested, and there was no safe way to get back to the village. I was wondering what lies to tell, or how stupid I could pretend to be when they picked me up for interrogation. I wanted to mislead them and protect my 'comrades'... but I didn't hold out much hope of that with these guys. We were out numbered, out gunned and out manouvered. Simple as that.

As I looked to the direction of the village, I could see a convoy of cars heading in my direction. "That's funny," I said to myself, "I don't remember that staff car in the lead as being one of the cars of the village. I think they've 'got' to them too."

Sure enough I was picked up and interrogated by an officer. I kept saying to him "I hope we're not as bad as this in the future." He simply could not understand what I meant as he had not 'seen' the future and to him there was no future, only the here and now and he was 'master' of it. He started to get flustered and confused. That's when I woke up.

----

The previous evening I had seen the news on TV. It was depressing. In between the twin myths of bird flu and Al Qaeda, I thought the worlds population was 5 seconds off from total 'lock down' and no amount of terrorism was going to change the fact that people believed these myths.

Imagine!! Finding a bird virus in a bird... who would have thought THAT likely? Now, if they'd found it in a horse or an elephant that would have been a different story. I would have been impressed. But no, it's like saying you've found snow at the top of a mountain in winter.

Forgot to put this in! The dream reminded me of this song by Soul Asylum called Runaway Train:
It feels somehow appropriate.

Call you up in the middle of the night
Like a firefly without a light
You were there like a blowtorch burning
I was a key that could use a little turning

So tired that I couldn't even sleep
So many secrets I couldn't keep
I promised myself I wouldn't weep
One more promise I couldn't keep

It seems no one can help me now,
I'm in too deep; there's no way out
This time I have really led myself astray

Runaway train, never going back
Wrong way on a one-way track
Seems like I should be getting somewhere
Somehow I'm neither here nor there

Can you help me remember how to smile?
Make it somehow all seem worthwhile
How on earth did I get so jaded?
Life's mystery seems so faded

I can go where no one else can go
I know what no one else knows
Here I am just a-drownin' in the rain
With a ticket for a runaway train

And everything seems cut and dried,
Day and night, earth and sky,
Somehow I just don't believe it

Bought a ticket for a runaway train
Like a madman laughing at the rain
A little out of touch, a little insane
It's just easier than dealing with the pain

Runaway train, never coming back
Runaway train, tearing up the track
Runaway train, burning in my veins
I run away but it always seems the same

Cool Dream.

Oh yeah - Bird flu... in Birds!? Careful! It might leap to humans! (...if someone with enough money and scientists can genetically engineer it to...)

What was that you say?

Nothing... nothing at all....

Hi Cyre2067, speaking of viruses, allergies and reactions to things. How are you going with identifying that allergic reaction (I'm sure you posted about it) that you suffered recently? Might be a good thing to find out what it is before you take to the skies...

Back
Top Bottom