Romantic Fiction, Reality Shaping and The Work

By updating the titles in French in the sheet, I realize that there is a ninth book in the BRIDGERTON series which was written much later than the others and which is entitled "The Bridgertons: Happily ever after ".
It may be useful to add it if it is consistent with the rest of the series.

Untouched by Anna Campbell is really dark, gloominess piled up on even more gloominess, only to be redeemed by some quite heartwarming interaction between the lead characters, and their character and integrity which they've managed to somehow keep through their torturous journey and life experiences. It's quite a ride.

By updating the titles in French in the sheet, I realize that there is a ninth book in the BRIDGERTON series which was written much later than the others and which is entitled "The Bridgertons: Happily ever after ".
It may be useful to add it if it is consistent with the rest of the series.
Only 8 books in the series. but some 3 extra books exist. I updated them as extra.
After I was done with the series, however, I received hundreds of questions from readers about the Bridgertons and what happened to them later in their lives. So I decided to give all of the main characters an update in what I call “2nd Epilogues.” These stories, originally available as e-shorts, have now been collected into The Bridgertons: Happily Ever After, along with a bonus novella about Violet. The Bridgertons: Happily Ever After went on sale as an e-book and in print in April 2013.

Finally finished The Perfect Rake, book 1 of Merridew Sisters series by Anne Gracie. I liked that there were plenty of laughs, and I can't wait for the release of the book 2 audiobook next week.

I really liked the quote, "Even when no one loves you, there's always someone to love. Someone who needs to be loved. Always. You just have to look outside yourself."

So, I sampled another: "Potent Pleasures" (Not part of the Wildes series). My god, that one was a real wringer!!! I noticed it was part of a different series, so I got the other two: "Midnight Pleasures" and "Enchanting Pleasures". They should be read in that order. And holy frijoles, they are intense! Some real issues going on there.

In the end, I wasn't quite satisfied with the wrap ups at the end of the first two. I think the guys got off too easy though the women were also pretty guilty of letting their issues create horrible situations. I won't say any more about them at this point, but just know that these deal with some serious screw-ups on both sides and it is only high drama that can untangle the knots.
Indeed !
I just finished "Potent Pleasure", and damn it ...! this guy would have deserved slaps. It would not have been "suitable" of course, nor even allowed for a bride in the aristocracy of that time. But still... :headbash:

He takes his erroneous assumptions for realities without thinking, to the point of being blinded by his jealousy. Of course, his attitude stems from his bad experience with his ex-wife, but still ...
To be able to trust someone, you have to start by giving them a chance to explain themselves, and not believe in rumors about simple little details.

As far as his wife goes, I know love can forgive anything, but it's hard to believe it could be done so easily given the way he treated her.

A very intense story despite everything, which put my nerves to the test. ;-)

I have just finished this book:

Honestly, I was not open to this experience. I chose to open my mind and try and see what would happen.

When I started reading, I felt sensations in my body that I had never felt before. I was aware that there was resistance to doing this reading or participating in this group experience.

I realized that my mother read this type of book all her life. I never thought that this type of reading could have a beneficial effect on my future.

I must admit that this book was sexually explicit. I could see that the character of Sidonie Forsythe and Jonas Merrick are a mirror of my own dynamics between my feminine and masculine.

During the reading, I was touched by what the characters were experiencing. I cried during the reading. I realized that unconscious emotions were becoming more conscious. These emotions need to be felt and expressed at the moment. It was through tears that this was done. Honestly, I found that I was holding them back so that they could not end now.

I can affirm that this type of reading is really beneficial for me.

Through Jonah's wounds, I was able to see my own. With Sidonia's compassion, I realized that a woman can really see a man as he really is. There is no fear of showing these wounds or frailties to someone you can really trust. I have to let go of my masks or false self-protection to protect me from past wounds.

At the end of the book, I had the intuition that reconciliation between my feminine and masculine was achieved.

This is only the beginning...I continue my work...

Good reading to All.

Marc.

Hi Redrock12, fwiw, in a thread such as this there will most likely be some 'tongue in cheek', as genero81 has said. Truth be told, I mentioned my reading to a couple of male friends - there was a emphasized pause :umm: in their response, yeah well, it is helping with my covid-blues, I said. On the other hand, my partner has a line-up of lady friends next in line for the books she is reading :-). No male friends have asked to get on the list, though :lol:.
Yeah, it really is hilarious, especially when the covers are of well-muscled, bare chested dudes. I mean really, what normal heterosexual male is going to be caught dead reading something with such a cover in a public venue?
If the publishers had any brains, they'd use a gender neutral cover. Heck it might even increase book sales.
Good for a laugh anyway.:lol:

I mean really, what normal heterosexual male is going to be caught dead reading something with such a cover in a public venue?
Well yes, they certainly are not your average Bourne Identity covers or whatever, yet suppose if reading in public, and being that type of male (or female as it may be), it might depend on which ♂️ is which ♀️on the cover. Think a few pages back there were some cover overlays that can be modified to obscure the view from curious eyes or, tape the most boring book cover over them one can find that no one will pay any attention to.

All in all, over the last ten months these books have been the most wonderful replacement for covid-tylenol after a long hideous socially-distanced, Fauci masked-day.

Indeed !
I just finished "Potent Pleasure", and damn it ...! this guy would have deserved slaps. It would not have been "suitable" of course, nor even allowed for a bride in the aristocracy of that time. But still... :headbash:

He takes his erroneous assumptions for realities without thinking, to the point of being blinded by his jealousy. Of course, his attitude stems from his bad experience with his ex-wife, but still ...
To be able to trust someone, you have to start by giving them a chance to explain themselves, and not believe in rumors about simple little details.

As far as his wife goes, I know love can forgive anything, but it's hard to believe it could be done so easily given the way he treated her.

A very intense story despite everything, which put my nerves to the test. ;-)

Yeah, these three books really threw me. They made me think a lot about emotionally driven actions and forgiveness.

I´m reading Survivor´s Series by M. Balogh.
So far I´m really surprised that I´m reading Balogh; Balogh has completely different writing style in this series - the books are bright and funny written with bunch of witty dialogs!

The topics are still deeply touching and the characters are still deeply wounded and Balogh´s psychological analyze is still the best ever, but this first 3 books are totally different than any other Balogh´s books I´ve read, regarding the general atmosphere in the book.
I don´t know how exactly to describe it.....
Like, all Balogh books before this 3 were having this underlying grim atmosphere.
This series is more like Anne Gracie type of novels - bright and sunny.
I don´t know how else to describe it; I see all these romantic novels as real movies in my head, with all the colors and moods.

But I´m really enjoying Survivors so far.

Book 1: The Proposal
I did enjoy reading about Gwen and Hugo´s interaction; Gwen was actually very funny and the way they teased each other was very smart humor.
And I wanted to slap Hugo senseless - he didn´t know, poor guy, what to do; how to behave or what to say. I don´t mean in a sense of his behavior at the ball, but in his general behavior toward his own feelings.

Book 1.5: The Suitor
Philippa and Julian novel was, yeah, short and sweet. :-)

Book 2: The Arrangement
Now to Vincent and Sophie story....
I was so sad for Vincent; one cannot imagine how he feels. He didn´t present himself as a victim and he didn´t behave as one. I admired him for that and for his openness to life and his will.
Nevertheless it was very tragic story, one reads it with constant lump in the throat...
And I was also surprise how much witty dialogs was in the book!
I was hoping for some happy ending, that somebody will knock him senseless and it will bring his sight back, like his hearing returned, and I´m still hoping. Series is not over jet!!!!

And I must quote whitecoast and ryu - beautifully said!!! :-)
The Proposal seems to be about the give-and-take of relationships when it comes to getting out of one's comfort zone or learning to participate in the parts of the life of a partner one may find less relatable. And The Arrangement teaches a lot about external considering and accounting for the perceptual and self-image blind-spots we may find in a partner and ourselves. Some less-than-healthy relationships seem be about unhealthy types of dependency, whereas The Arrangement IMO shows the ideal of interdependence, and the mutual work of loving partners to free one another of each other's own limitations and shortcomings.

These books are a testimony to the resilience of the human spirit.

Balogh has quite a repertoire. Each set/series has a theme and an atmosphere of its own. One book of hers that was just shocking and horribly grim in the events described was "The Secret Pearl." I don't think it's part of a series, but it sure laid out the tragic aspects of life in a bald way and I was a bit surprised by that.

Balogh has quite a repertoire. Each set/series has a theme and an atmosphere of its own. One book of hers that was just shocking and horribly grim in the events described was "The Secret Pearl." I don't think it's part of a series, but it sure laid out the tragic aspects of life in a bald way and I was a bit surprised by that.
It seems it is a stand-alone book

It is not jet on our reading list; should I put it also in our excel?

I was hoping for some happy ending, that somebody will knock him senseless and it will bring his sight back, like his hearing returned, and I´m still hoping. Series is not over jet!!!!
I guess you are looking for superhuman "Happily Ever After" ;-)
Also, the fact that there is the Napoleonic wars in the background made me think of the war on peoples that rages on in our reality. Like these characters, we are all going to discover of what wood we are made of in the coming years, already many of us feel our inner being is a battleground, with the hyperkinetic effect of the Wave. Those that manage it in 4D will probably be traumatised by the sheer destruction they had witnessed. These books are a testimony to the resilience of the human spirit. It's good to know that before hell breaks lose.
Each story is horrifying in itself and how they turned around is inspiring (with simple acts of kindness, honest to their being and giving and taking)

I finished the last one of the Survivors series Only Beloved. The horrifying story of George who had no physical injury or in war. I felt sorry for George to be in the ridiculously tough situation in the previous marriage. Balogh had done a great job of keeping the suspense of it until the end.

To sample it, I read Julia Quinn's Because of Miss Bridgerton. Story-wise, it is more like a milder version of Courting Julia. Character depth and story narration style-wise, I liked Balogh's writing. But, Julia Quinn is one of only16 hall of fame romance writers of America. I don't know what it means, as per wiki there are around 800 romance novelists( around world).

Back
Top Bottom