Roger Waters Tour and Flying Pigs

Mark

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/music/ny-pinkfloyd0914,0,1063798.story?coll=ny-music-headlines
Waters' Floyd 'tribute' band
BY IRA ROBBINS
Special to Newsday

In addition to the gray hair, wrinkles and hearing loss, rock old-timers have lately had to face another humiliation: the decline of albums as the music's basic currency. So the anachronism was squared Tuesday night when Pink Floyd co-founder Roger Waters -- looking all of his 62 years -- performed the 34-year-old "Dark Side of the Moon" as the centerpiece of an ambitiously staged and provocative three-hour show at Madison Square Garden.

If any piece of rock music is proof of the album's place in popular culture, "Dark Side" is surely it. Released in 1973 by an English quartet with a solid following of headphone-wearing potheads, it has sold 40 million copies worldwide and elevated Floyd to the all-time pantheon of British rock on the strength of bassist/singer/social critic Waters' strong lyrics and David Gilmour's formidable guitar playing, all served up with demonstration-disc clarity.

Gilmour was not on hand Tuesday, but two skilled copyists of his chilly precision were, along with Floyd drummer Nick Mason and eight other backing musicians. With Waters resting his voice (which was lacking some of its usual authority) on several of the songs and ceding the singing to keyboardist-guitarist Jon Carin, guitarist Dave Kilminster and three female backups, the ensemble at times suggested an enormously skilled Pink Floyd tribute band joined by the genuine article's rhythm section. The line that demarks authenticity in such things has gotten progressively harder to spot, but as a note-for-note re-creation, this was as good as it could possibly get, and makes the band's original studio achievement seem all the more impressive by the cast required to bring it back to life. The instrumental "On the Run," one of Floyd's last excursions into space psychedelia, was especially thrilling live -- loud, rich with interwoven electronic noises melodies and disorienting rhythms ricocheting around the Garden -- but the familiar vocal numbers ("Money," "Breathe in the Air," "Us and Them," "Time") were also carefully and enthusiastically presented.

As expected from inveterate art-school rocker Waters, the show made excellent use of imaginative film and featured a floating astronaut spacewalker (to accompany "Perfect Sense," from Waters' solo career) and the Floyd-standard pig, which sailed over the seats during "Sheep," painted with such slogans as "impeach Bush now."

Waters' political opinions -- and courage, in taking what could be seen as a foreigner's unwelcome intrusion by those who paid $174.50 to be entertained -- were pressed even more forcefully in "Leaving Beirut," which was simultaneously presented as music and as a comic book projected above the stage. Inspired by the kindness a Lebanese family showed Waters as a teenage tourist in 1961, the song bluntly attacks George W. Bush and Tony Blair and asks (about the Lebanese, not the leaders), "Are these the people that we should bomb / Are we so sure they mean us harm?" If it was more effective as a comic book than a clumsy and not very tuneful song, the boos that mingled with the applause when it was done proved Waters' mettle in making the effort.
pinkok7.jpg

(NOTE: this is reportedly a snapshot of the pig - uncomfirmed) If it is in fact a snapshot of the pig used by Waters then he obviously doesn't "get it."

I went to the Roger Waters' show in Pheonix and I have to say that it absolutely was awesome....

I find it a bit disconcerting that the piggy in one of his shows apparently said "vote democrat"..... this suggests that he may indeed not "get it" all..... but the piggy at the show I went to said nothing like that.... it mentioned Habeas Corpus.... in reference to the recent bill passed that essentially eliminates it...... so it appears that the words on the inflatable pig change from show to show...

However... from his lyrics... one would come to the conclusion that he really does "get it" for the most part......but perhaps just not everything...

I have struggled with this idea for some time....
Is it better to reach a larger audience with information that questions the status quo...but is not complete Truthful disclosure.... or to reach a smaller audience of those whom wish to know complete, objective, Truth?...

With incomplete disclosure... one can reach a larger audience.. due to the availability of funds from corporations....
With objective Truth... exposing the system that corporations and others use.... there is no financial backing... so there is a very small audience.... because there is not enough money to reach a large audience... also there is not a very large audience in the first place due to the fact that there are very few seeking objective Truth....

So I suppose each serves a purpose...

This is how I rationalize Roger Waters as being helpful towards the cause of Truth....
True, he may not "get" the complete picture...... but he reaches a large audience with ideas of questioning..... perhaps some of these people will even question what he says and seek deeper Truth..... and find themselves at a place like this.... heh... I say a place like this.. even though I have found no other place that does what is done here..........

I understand that him promoting an idea like "vote democrat" could be dangerous... because it implies that there is a difference between voting democrat or repulican..... or the fact that voting will solve anything.....but the fact is... voting is useless....

But could he reach such a wide audience by saying... it's useless to vote?

I believe there are steps to full disclosure of Truth.... not everyone wants to know... and also there are the many powerful forces who do not want the information out.....

Not many would come here to the SOTT forum if it weren't for those whom first ignited the idea of questioning the status quo..... SOTT does not get publicity because it attempts to disclose objective Truth... SOTT gets publicity from those seeking knowledge.... knowledge they recieved from middlemen like Roger Waters....

So the point I was trying to make is.... saying that Roger Waters.. "obviously doesn't 'get it'" because of the graffiti put on an inflatible pig at one of his shows.... is not necessarily True....

This type of statement suggest there is nothing to learn from the music and lyrics of Roger Waters... this is simply not true.... the amount of time and effort he puts into the songs he releases which contain lyrics suggesting he does certainly "get it"...... should mean more than some scribbled messages on an inflatible pig...... but to say that he "gets it" all..... would not be Truthful...

IRA ROBBINS said:
Waters' political opinions -- and courage, in taking what could be seen as a foreigner's unwelcome intrusion by those who paid $174.50 to be entertained -- were pressed even more forcefully in "Leaving Beirut," which was simultaneously presented as music and as a comic book projected above the stage. Inspired by the kindness a Lebanese family showed Waters as a teenage tourist in 1961, the song bluntly attacks George W. Bush and Tony Blair and asks (about the Lebanese, not the leaders), "Are these the people that we should bomb / Are we so sure they mean us harm?" If it was more effective as a comic book than a clumsy and not very tuneful song, the boos that mingled with the applause when it was done proved Waters' mettle in making the effort.
In response to the article posted.... I found it very condescending in its tone.... hence the title "Waters' Floyd 'tribute' band"....
Roger Waters is not a Floyd "tribute band".... and him playing "Dark Side of the Moon" is in no way anything like a cover band.. due to the fact that he wrote all the lyrics to the album.... and if the rest of Pink Floyd can tour and make money without the writer of the majority of the lyrics being present... I see no wrong in him doing a little bit of the same......... also.... the tour performance he put on was not that of dark side of the moon being the centerpiece..... dark side seemed more like an addition to the Roger Water's material....

also.... "a foreigner's unwelcome intrustion by those who paid $174.50 to be entertained".. nevermind the fact that if his "intrusion" was unwelcomed... no one would have bought tickets... nevermind my tickets were only $35 each sitting comfortably in the lawn...... rather than front row.....

and as far as "boos that mingled with the applause"...... I only saw one person angry at the lyrics to "Leaving Beirut"..... which apparently were aimed at the lyrics mentioning.... "That Texas education must of fu**ed you up when you were very small"...... since that was the only line the one person in the entire audience seemed to object to..... it seemed they were more angry at the anti-Texan sentiment displayed... rather than the anti-Bush idea..... heh.. but if you've ever gone to school in Texas like I have... perhaps you'd understand ...

and as far as "clumsy and not very tuneful song".... haha.... please...... whatever...'nuff said..... methinks....

One more fact I forgot to mention about this Roger Waters show..... I had never before been to a concert where 95% of the audience refused to ever sit down through the whole event.... the remaining 5% being too intoxicated to stand...
Nevertheless.... the excitement of the crowd was like none other I'd ever experienced.......

Definitely a thing to see... thousands of people singing along to songs like this........

The Fletcher Memorial Home (Waters) - Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Take all your overgrown infants away somewhere
And build them a home, a little place of their own.
The Fletcher Memorial
Home for Incurable Tyrants and Kings.

And they can appear to themselves every day
On closed circuit T.V.
To make sure they're still real.
It's the only connection they feel.
"Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome, Reagan and Haig,
Mr. Begin and friend, Mrs. Thatcher, and Paisly,
"Hello Maggie!"
Mr. Brezhnev and party.
"Scusi dov'è il bar?"
The ghost of McCarthy,
The memories of Nixon.
"Who's the bald chap?"
"Good-bye!"
And now, adding colour, a group of anonymous latin-
American meat packing glitterati.

Did they expect us to treat them with any respect?
They can polish their medals and sharpen their
Smiles, and amuse themselves playing games for awhile.
Boom boom, bang bang, lie down you're dead.

Safe in the permanent gaze of a cold glass eye
With their favorite toys
They'll be good girls and boys
In the Fletcher Memorial Home for colonial
Wasters of life and limb.

Is everyone in?
Are you having a nice time?
Now the final solution can be applied.

Back
Top Bottom