Red Lentil and Yam Curry

Rhys

Jedi Master
This is a yummy simple recipe suggested to me by a friend when I started my Gluten, Dairy and Wheat free diet. It's easy to make if you're not big on cooking and it won't take more than 40mins to prepare and cook it all. I double up the amounts and take it to work with me. :)

Ingredients
1 medium onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 medium yams (or sweet potatoes, peeeled and chopped in large cubes (about 1/2-1")
1 bay leaf
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups red lentils, rinsed and picked over
4 tablespoons fresh coriander, finely chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions
In a heavy bottom pot or Dutch Oven heat oil and onions over medium low heat, add a pinch of xylitol and a pinch of salt. Cook them until they start to caramelize then add the ginger, curry powder, garlic, sweet potato or yam and bay leaf. Stir for a minute until it becomes fragrant and then add the water or stock and then stir in the lentils. Cover and simmer over medium low heat for 18-20 minutes until yams and lentils are tender. Adjust for seasoning - you will likely need salt. Stir in coriander and serve.

My favourite dish at the moment, and it's not too hot either.

You have to be very careful with curry powder because it often has evil elements in it. Curry powder is a mixture of spices and its ingredients can vary widely. Most curry powder includes coriander, turmeric, cumin, and fenugreek. Some other curry powders also include ginger, garlic, fennel seed, cinnamon, clove, mustard seed, green cardamom, black cardamom, mace, nutmeg, red pepper, long pepper, and black pepper may also be added. And, don't forget the evil MSG that gets added to about every commercial spice mix.

So, best to do what we do: make your own "curry" powder. That way you can insure that there are no evil nightshade peppers and/or MSG.

Thanks Rhys for the recipe. I sure will try it because I've recently started the diet too :)

BTW what is chicken stock?

Thanks for the heads up Laura! I have all the spices in to make a basic "curry" powder right now, I'll do that next time. So is Ginger, Cinammon and Mustard seed included in the nightshade category? It would definately miss their flavour! :(

Aragorn, for the chicken stock I'm using a gluten and dairy free store bought cube ("Kallo" brand) that is free from additives like MSG. However it does contain sugar and yeast extract (I'm not sure if yeast extract is bad :huh:).

Rhys said:
Thanks for the heads up Laura! I have all the spices in to make a basic "curry" powder right now, I'll do that next time. So is Ginger, Cinammon and Mustard seed included in the nightshade category? It would definately miss their flavour! :(

Aragorn, for the chicken stock I'm using a gluten and dairy free store bought cube ("Kallo" brand) that is free from additives like MSG. However it does contain sugar and yeast extract (I'm not sure if yeast extract is bad :huh:).

Yeast extract is actually another name for MSG - so, yep, it's bad.

Rhys said:

Also, does it have corn syrup solids and/or soy lecithin? Watch out for that. Best to make chicken stock straight from a chicken (and not a Tyson chicken!)

JonnyRadar said:
Best to make chicken stock straight from a chicken (and not a Tyson chicken!)

Why not a Tyson chicken? I have some Tyson cornish hens and they say no artificial ingredients or growth hormones. Are their regular chickens not the same as this? Would Perdue be a better chicken?

Laura said:
You have to be very careful with curry powder because it often has evil elements in it. Curry powder is a mixture of spices and its ingredients can vary widely. Most curry powder includes coriander, turmeric, cumin, and fenugreek. Some other curry powders also include ginger, garlic, fennel seed, cinnamon, clove, mustard seed, green cardamom, black cardamom, mace, nutmeg, red pepper, long pepper, and black pepper may also be added. And, don't forget the evil MSG that gets added to about every commercial spice mix.

So, best to do what we do: make your own "curry" powder. That way you can insure that there are no evil nightshade peppers and/or MSG.

I didn't know that. I like Curry a lot and use it in many dishes. Thanks for this info. I'll be more careful when buying Curry powder....or even better make my own.

guys, I am attempting to make this tonight and i don't cook!

4 tablespoons fresh coriander said:
could i substitute for parsley / cilantro. or 2 tablespoons of each?

I read it is similar to parsley and cilantro :P and I don't know if I will be able to find any coriander.

lol I really screwed up my quote.

I will tell you how it turns out (and how it goes over with my family)

thank you.

Back
Top Bottom