Recommended Books: Discussion

There's a duplicate entry under "14. Caesar" for "Escape from Evil7.13 - Ernest Becker"

Hi Christine,

I tried to copy and paste one of my kindle books and it does not work.
I mean that I can not even copy one single page from my Kindle's web application.
Apparently there is a way to copy and paste text from Kindle but it is rather fiddly and can be used for personal purposes only:

_Copy-Paste Text from Kindle Books to a Word Document – Help Center
_How to Read Mobile Phone Text Messages Online

I found an easier way to copy and paste from Kindle: apart from the actual Kindle device every book and PDF can be read on a mobile or laptop application and unlike the device, it is possible to copy and paste text easily from the apps. If I need to quote a Kindle book, I open it in a desktop or mobile application and just paste it into Word, Notepad or directly here on the forum. It works the same way as copying from any other document and the CTRL+C/V shortcuts work in Kindle apps too.

Each copied text will automatically have the name of the author, title, page and publisher indicated at the end of the pasted section, which I presume is Amazon's way to comply with copyrights. For example, here's a random text copied from Shahak's book which I happen to have open on my desktop Kindle app:

The persistent attitudes of classical Judaism toward non-Jews strongly influence its followers, Orthodox Jews and those who can be regarded as its continuators, zionists. Through the latter it also influences the policies of the State of Israel. Since 1967, as Israel becomes more and more ‘Jewish’, so its policies are influenced more by Jewish ideological considerations than by those of a coldly conceived imperial interest.

Shahak, Israel. Jewish History, Jewish Religion: The Weight of Three Thousand Years (Get Political Book 5) (p. 119). Pluto Press. Kindle Edition.

While Miss Manners Minds Your Business is not the exact recommended book, I enjoyed it as it validated my division of work life from personal life and my disdain of forced financial contributions for office gifts and meals.

I just checked back with the recommended reading book list and was almost blown away by how many more there are.😍 I need to buy another large bookshelf and a more comfortable chair. :dance:Awesome.

I just checked back with the recommended reading book list and was almost blown away by how many more there are.😍 I need to buy another large bookshelf and a more comfortable chair. :dance:Awesome.

The large bookshelf I agree with. The comfortable chair---no way. I've got to sit upright on a hard chair to keep me alert and focused. If comfortable I will start to daydream.

The Authoritarians - Bob Altemeyer (available as a free PDF)
Recently finished this excellent book! A true must-read masterwork by Altemeyer. I'm glad it was recommended to us here. IMO, way better, more candid and to the point than Righteous Mind. I got the high quality audiobook version, which IMO is superb! Bob Altemeyer himself reads it aloud and since he is / was a university professor, he has a very enjoyable professorial voice, making the listening equal to as if you were attending his university classes for free! Highly recommended!
Advantages of an audiobook: I can work, prepare stuff in my room, iron clothes, usually I peel vegetables, etc.. while listening to Sott radio shows or audiobooks. I find it amazing that my eyes won't be damaged from reading and I just put on the audio book and can listen just two minutes if I have just two minutes to put clothes on and gather my stuff, before going to the grocery market.

With the idea of putting people on the step behind us, for the first non-health books to read, would you still recommend the Narcissism "Big Five" as is, or would you recommend a different list of first books?

I don't know where else to put this question so as to not create too much noise: There seem to have been recommendations made in some threads from a book about the relationship between psychological/emotional issues and their physical manifestations. I can't seem to find the book title anywhere. Could someone suggest what that book may be? Are there any recommended ones on the topic?

I don't know where else to put this question so as to not create too much noise: There seem to have been recommendations made in some threads from a book about the relationship between psychological/emotional issues and their physical manifestations. I can't seem to find the book title anywhere. Could someone suggest what that book may be? Are there any recommended ones on the topic?

This one ?

Thanks, that's definitely one of them (I have it and need to read it)!

Perhaps these books as well?

Elizabeth van Buren's Refuge of the Apocalypse?

No, it's not on the list. It is entertaining and somewhat helpful for those particularly interested in alchemy and so on, but there's not much there that will actually help anyone in a practical or useful way.

So for my first post I will do this. Practical and Useful......what a concept. What actions can we take now that are practical and useful? I’m asking people to not watch the media. Perhaps strengthening the body and soul is a good thing. Perhaps we focus on what we can do verses what we cannot.

A little off-topic: there is a website called Book Depository, if you want to avoid Amazon. I didn't know the place at all - sorry if it's been posted here before. The selection is smaller but many books from the list can be found there. And now for example this:

Back
Top Bottom