Reading the Bible as a collection of books or texts

thorbiorn

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
A search on the Forum, shows there are several threads that carry the word Bible in the title, and they have mostly lots of analysis and discussion fit for a Bible scholar. However, I have not even read the Bible, at least not the whole "book", or shall we say all the books usually considered to make up what is generally known as the Bible. Certainly, I have not read it as a book for the fun of it. When I was a teenager, I tried to read it all, but before I reached the Kings, I had had enough, perhaps related to a sprouting opposition to church dogma. Later, I read the New Testament a number of times, and also Ecclesiastes, Baruch, Sirach, Proverbs, Song of Solomon, some Psalms, Wisdom, and a few collections of Christian Apocrypha. This reading is already some time back, and now the inspiration or suggestion came to read the whole thing, although I may leave out The New Testament, as I have already done that well enough to know what it is all about. Now to read, one needs a text and here are some electronic sources and you can add your finds, if you have any good ones.

Finding electronic versions
In practical terms, I found a number of translations in many different languages on Bible List ready for download in various formats. Overall, I have decided it should be a version that is pretty close to whatever they call original, and not paraphrase. For an idea of how different translation differ, see this review.

An approach to the reading
I would like to read something pretty literal, including sampling excerpts in my own mother tongue (Danish) and I have three translations. One old, scratched if not dented, but sturdy, heavy brick of a volume, picked up at a recycling station and printed with Gothic types, is a copy of an 1871 translation based on earlier work from 1647, again leaning very heavily on a still older 1607 translation. Then there is one translation from 1931 available in epub and Kindle formats, and finally a modern version from 1992 bound in beautiful, soft, violet leather. The Gothic types were hard initially, but while reading in the 1992 version, I encountered a translation issue in Exodus 22, which made me look up the 1871 version in earnest. It gave me an opportunity to gain much more familiarity with the Gothic script, while I learned new words that have gone out of use since the 19th century.

Later, I would like to try some segments in other languages. Here, I expect this page which allows two translations to shown in the same tab to be helpful and fun. [I might even learn some French :)] if I use a suitable English text along the lines of the famous King James Version, see this Wikisource, to match a translation in French. The King James is close to the literal meaning and to check how the translations are in one's language, one can Google "Bible translations [language]". Regarding French, for instance, I will have a look at this Wiki when the time comes.

"Bible" as a word
If one looks up Bible in a dictionary, like the Cambridge Dictionary one finds:
(a copy of) the holy book of the Christian religion consisting of the Old and New Testaments, or the holy book of the Jewish religion consisting of the Law, the Prophets, and the Writings:
Collins English Dictionary is kind to provide us with the origin:
Word origin
C13: from Old French, from Medieval Latin biblia books, from Greek, plural of biblion book, diminutive of biblos papyrus, from Bublos Phoenician port from which Greece obtained Egyptian papyrus
The same pages quotes the Webster's New World College Dictionary
Word origin
ME & OFr < ML biblia < Gr, collection of writings, in LGr(Ec), the Scriptures (pl. of biblion, book) < biblos, papyrus, after Byblos (now Dschebēl), Phoen city from which papyrus was imported

Questions
This is just an introductory post, and I will refrain from writing any kind of "Amazon reviews" of individual books, though if the Bible is a collection of books then it should be alright to restrict a comment to the experience of reading just one book or even a story. Do you have a favourite story, chapter or book? On the other hand, are their chapters that in your opinion may be skimmed very quickly?

Finally, and just to be sure, shall we agree that spoilers are okay? :-)

Last edited:
I have tried to find out if there was a sequence to the books in the Old Testament. To some extent, but there are also differences:
The Wiki on Biblical canon has:
Differences exist between the Jewish Tanakh and Christian biblical canons, though the majority of manuscripts are shared in common.
Different religious groups include different books in their biblical canons, in varying orders, and sometimes divide or combine books. The Jewish Tanakh (sometimes called the Hebrew Bible) contains 24 books divided into three parts: the five books of the Torah ("teaching"); the eight books of the Nevi'im ("prophets"); and the eleven books of Ketuvim ("writings"). It is composed mainly in Biblical Hebrew. While the Septuagint, a collection of manuscripts written in Greek that closely resembles the Tanakh but includes additional texts, is the main textual source for the Christian Greek Old Testament.[6]
The Jewish Virtual Library has this to say:
Though the terms "Bible" and "Old Testament" are commonly used by non-Jews to describe Judaism's scriptures, the appropriate term is "Tanach," which is derived as an acronym from the Hebrew letters of its three components: Torah, Nevi'im and Ketuvim.
The Jewish Virtual Library site links to a translation from 1917 and they list the following books:
The Jewish Virtual Library has a link to a translation of the Babylonian Talmud, and also to the New Testament in the King James Version Not that I intend to read it, but looking up one a few items was interesting.

From Chabad.org on their page The Complete Tanakh (Tanach) - Hebrew Bible they list the books of the Tanakh this way:
Screenshot 2021-03-07 232454.png
From The Biblical Canon Wiki there is:
Christian Bibles range from the 73 books of the Catholic Church canon, the 66 books of the canon of some denominations or the 80 books of the canon of other denominations of the Protestant Church, to the 81 books of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church canon. The first part of Christian Bibles is the Greek Old Testament, which contains, at minimum, the above 24 books of the Tanakh but divided into 39 (Protestant) or 46 (Catholic) books and ordered differently. The second part is the Greek New Testament, containing 27 books; the four canonical gospels, Acts of the Apostles, 21 Epistles or letters and the Book of Revelation.

The Catholic Church and Eastern Christian churches hold that certain deuterocanonical books and passages are part of the Old Testament canon. The Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and Assyrian Christian churches may have minor differences in their lists of accepted books. The list given here for these churches is the most inclusive: if at least one Eastern church accepts the book it is included here. The King James Bible—which has been called "the most influential version of the most influential book in the (English) world, in what is now its most influential language" and which in the United States is the most used translation, is still considered a standard among Protestant churches and used liturgically in the Orthodox Church in America—contains 80 books: 39 in its Old Testament, 14 in its Apocrypha, and 27 in its New Testament.
The Biblical Canon Wiki has a long list of books with notes on what is included where.

The experience of reading
It turns out there are many different ways to approach the books and the sequence of reading them. If considered from a Jewish perspective and looking back, I began with the Torah, the Law, the Pentateuch, then moved to Nevi'im - main prophets and am now reading Daniel which is grouped among the Ketuvim or writings.

It hasn't all been pleasurable reading - an understatement, but corners have been turned and it is progressing.

Having decided to read the Bible in preparation for Laura's book, the romance novels are a great respite from all the smiting, death and destruction which Yahweh and his stiff-necked people wreck on all the other people in their foundation myth. It is like coming up for a breath of fresh air after having suffered a bout of sulphurous air ;-)

It is truly the direct opposite approach to life. In the bible, the people stay as children, are irresponsible authoritarian slaves and solve issues by revenge, bloodlust, killing, destruction and mayhem in a neverending cycle of violence. In the romance novels people learn to grow up and take responsibility along with caring for others and solving issues via dialogue, understanding and mutual respect. Very life affirming and hope giving.
The social tension and turmoil described in some of the books are perhaps not as far removed from today considering either what is already experienced in some parts of the world, or what we might end up having to endure.

In the days of the prophets, the problems for the tribes of Juda and Israel was that they had not kept the law of Moses, had not performed offerings correctly enough, had not observed the Sabbath, had mingled to closely with people who were not Jewish, as if their doings and non-doings were the only factors relevant for whatever took place around them.

In a manner reminiscent of the old stories, today we may read and hear and experience that the Covid numbers are rising again because we have not observed social distancing, have been together with more than x number of people, have not used the face mask and have not yet been vaccinated, or because the Covid virus has created a new mutation. Therefore we need stricter measures, etc. and if we do not do this then our grandmother, child and best friend are put in life-threatening danger.
Also when we think the situation in the world can't get worse, perhaps we can read some of these old stories and records and realize that indeed it may.

But there are also pieces of sound advice, shrewd comments, wise teachings and instructive stories. If one studies the works of great composers and poets, one will also notice that some created beautiful works inspired by just a few words or verses that by their tinyness might have offended any fundamentalist who would have preferred to impose the whole log on the eye of his neighbour. One psalm that have inspired many is psalm 19.

As I went through the books of the Old Testament, I made a few notes. In this post, I have taken out three and added comments and interpretations. The themes are ignorance and knowledge as described in the Book of Job, the search for wisdom and the fruits of obtaining it as recommended in the Book of Proverbs and finally an example of how a human demand for a miraculous intervention from God can be put to shame by courageous application of knowledge as found in the Book of Judith.

Ignorance and knowledge
In Job 35, 9-13 one finds in the King James Version:
9 By reason of the multitude of oppressions they make the oppressed to cry: they cry out by reason of the arm of the mighty. 10 But none saith, Where is God my maker, who giveth songs in the night; 11 Who teacheth us more than the beasts of the earth, and maketh us wiser than the fowls of heaven?
While one might think that tough times would lead a lot of people to seek knowledge about what is going on, there does not seem to be a large rush and apparently, this is not a new situation.

The search for wisdom
The above could be taken to connect to the acquiring of knowledge and understanding. In Proverbs 3:13 and the subsequent verses one reads in the King James Version + Apocrypha from Bible - Windows
13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.** 14 For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold.
15 She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her. 16 Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour. 17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.

18 She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her. 19 The LORD by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens.†† 20 By his knowledge the depths are broken up, and the clouds drop down the dew.

21 My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion: 22 So shall they be life unto thy soul, and grace to thy neck. 23 Then shalt thou walk in thy way safely, and thy foot shall not stumble. 24 When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet. 25 Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it cometh. 26 For the LORD shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken.
Knowledge and wisdom can be abstract, but they can also entail the ability to act decisively when the need is there as illustrated in the Book of Judith.

The Book of Judith, knowledge and skill in action
There is a story in the Book of Judith considered an Apocrypha in the Jewish tradition and the Protestant churches while it among the Orthodox and Catholic churches is one of the deuterocanonical books. The dramatic action of the Book of Judith was a popular source of inspiration for artists and patrons from the Renaissance to the Baroque period, though one might ask if the focus on her achievement might overshadow other insights to be gained from interpreting the story?

In chapter seven of the book, one reads how the citizens, elders and the administration of the surrounded and besieged town have decided to surrender unless God does something within five days to save them. In chapter eight we learn that Judith wants to have none of it, and she asks her chief maid to call them to her house:
LXX2012 Septuagint in British/International
10 Then she sent her waitingwoman, that had the government of all things that she had, to call Ozias and Chabris and Charmis, the ancients of the city. 11 And they came to her, and she said to them, Hear me now, O you° governors of the inhabitants of Bethulia: for your words that you° have spoken before the people this day are not right, touching this oath which you° made and pronounced between God and you, and have promised to deliver the city to our enemies, unless within these days the Lord turn to help you. 12 And now who are you° that have tempted God this day, and stand instead of God amongst the children of men? 13 And now try the Lord Almighty, but you° shall never know any thing. 14 For you° can’t find the depth of the heart of man, neither can you° perceive the things that he thinks: then how can you° search out God, that has made all these things, and know his mind, or comprehend his purpose? Nay, my brethren, provoke not the Lord our God to anger. 15 For if he will not help us within these five days, he has power to defend us when he will, even every day, or to destroy us before our enemies. 16 Do not bind the counsels of the Lord our God: for God is not as man, that he may be threatened; neither is he as the son of man, that he should be wavering. 17 Therefore let us wait for salvation of him, and call upon him to help us, and he will hear our voice, if it please him.
It seems to me that much of what goes on when the Jews are troubled are attempts to control the Cosmos by making certain sacrifices, and here Judith comes along and claims that since they do not know the heart of man, how do they imagine they can seek out God, know his mind and purposes or decide what should happen? She accepts that one can ask and see what happens. However, she does not wait for a supernatural miracle or tries to call down rains as they want her to do. On this theme one finds in chapter 8:30-32 of the LXX2012 Septuagint in British/International:
30 But the people were very thirsty, and compelled us to do to them as we have spoken, and to bring an oath upon ourselves, which we will not break. 31 Therefore now pray you for us, because you are a godly woman, and the Lord will send us rain to fill our cisterns, and we shall faint no more. 32 Then said Judith to them, Hear me, and I will do a thing, which shall go throughout all generations to the children of our nation.
Instead of prayers for their God in order to achieve rain, she conceives a plan which she executes with the help of her maid. Judith is not only shrewd in her dealing with the enemy, she is shrewd with the elders and leaders of her city as well. On the surface of the word, the story tells us that:
14 For you° can’t find the depth of the heart of man, neither can you° perceive the things that he thinks: then how can you° search out God, that has made all these things, and know his mind, or comprehend his purpose?
However, what she later achieves indicates that she, even if only acknowledged as a fictional character, must have had an extreme presence of mind, and possessed an unusual insight into the working of the minds of others, because she leaves her town, walks into the enemy camp, befriends the military leader, gains his confidence, then slays him and finally escapes unnoticed. It is as a one-off action, as Judith returns to her life of prayer and austerity living until the age of 105.

The idea left is also that if one wishes to understand the Divine Cosmic Mind striving to understand the human mind is actually a very reasonable beginning.

Here is another excerpt from chapter 12. that describes a little of her routine of prayer and its content:
5 Then the servants of Holofernes brought her into the tent, and she slept till midnight, and she arose when it was towards the morning watch, 6 And sent to Holofernes, saving, Let my lord now command that your handmaid may go forth to prayer. 7 Then Holofernes commanded his guard that they should not stay her: thus she abode in the camp three days, and went out in the night into the valley of Bethulia, and washed herself in a fountain of water by the camp. 8 And when she came out, she implored the Lord God of Israel to direct her way to the raising up of the children of her people. 9 So she came in clean, and remained in the tent, until she did eat her meat at evening.
We find in this excerpt, that she gets up early, prays and asks for guidance to help her people. Some other qualities of this heroine are diplomacy, administrative skill, faith, courage, self-control fearlessness, determination, altruism, knowledge, understanding and wisdom. One wonders if this story is inspired by some Greek myth. But this understanding is not intended: The Wiki has:
Judith is a feminine given name derived from the Hebrew name יְהוּדִית or Yehudit, meaning "woman of Judea". ... "She will be praised" or "Woman of Judea"
English Bible translations that include the deuterocanonical books
Since the Book of Judith is among the Christian apocryphal or deuterocanonical books, I tried for this post to find some more translations on Bible - Windows most of which can be downloaded from Bible List

King James Version + Apocrypha (I have often this version, but for the story of Judith the language was not very readable, besides the electronic copy on Bible - Windows had some glitches in the scroll function for this file.)
LXX2012 Septuagint in British/International
LXX2012 Septuagint in American English 2012
American Standard Version Byzantine Text
Updated Brenton Septuagint Translation
Brenton Septuagint Translation
World English Bible Catholic
World English Bible with Deuterocanon
Revised Version with Apocrypha (1895)

Being wise a serpents and gentle as doves
The protagonist of the story and her maid exemplifies being wise a serpents and gentle as doves. Regarding this, there is a quote from the C's. The part I have put in bold fits quite well with the story because they do penetrate the defences of those that wish to oppress them.
Session 22 June, 2002
A: It should be noted that the STS system can only be penetrated by becoming "wise as serpents and gentle as doves." There is nothing negative about networking. Details of a network include the necessity for those who are involved to invest "energy" in the exchange. If the individual comes upon the life work of another and expects to benefit and gain by that work, they will naturally wish to have their own position balanced by putting forth a commensurate amount of energy. Otherwise there will be an imbalance of energy. This then leads to an STS pyramid. An example of this principle in reverse is a teacher who demands payment for no real work on their own part.

In the her book From Paul to Mark, Laura recommends:

"to have read the New Testament at least once, especially Paul's letters contained therein."
"for the serious reader, it would help to have a good copy of the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) Bible on hand, or even the Amplified Translation by Zondervan." - page xix.

An online version of NRSV can be found on
https://www.bible.com/en-GB/bible/2016/GEN.1.NRSV and
https://www.bible.com/en-GB/bible/2015/GEN.1.NRSV-CI where CI stands for Catholic Interconfessional, which has more books than the standard NRSV above. The Wiki explains
Biblical apocrypha are a set of texts included in the Septuagint and the Latin Vulgate, but not in the Modern Hebrew Bible. While the Catholic and Orthodox traditions consider seven of these books to be deuterocanonical, Protestants consider fourteen intertestamental books as Apocrypha, that is, non-canonical books that are useful for instruction.[4][2] Luther's Bible placed them in a separate section called the Apocrypha, setting the pattern for subsequent versions of 80 book Protestant Bibles that include the Old Testament, Apocrypha and New Testament.[5][6]
There does not seem to be any difference between the online Catholic Interconfessional (CI) and the printed Catholic Edition (CE), as they both refer to a 1989 edition.

Here are some examples from one publisher Catholic Bible Press Apparently the versions from the Catholic Bible Press are with Anglicized text.
All of our Catholic Bibles have received the imprimatur of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, feature the full 73 books of the of the Bible with Anglicized text throughout.
But there are probably some others with US spelling, if needed.

For The Amplified Translation by Zondervan there is:

If you buy a printed version, see if you can check the reviews, to help avoid for instance tiny letters, like in this edition, though it is very affordable, and great if your eyes or glasses are good and most reviews are good.

Back
Top Bottom