question:what happened on 29 setember 2009 with our sun?

Andrian

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Hi ,first of all sorry for my english mestakes ,what i want to ask the C S if it's possible, is these questions:

What event has happened with our sun on 29 setember 2009 ?
And what is this red mist with iron particles which has happened in Australia on 24 Setember 2009?

What event do you talk about ?

And what is this red mist with iron particles which has happened in Australia on 24 Setember 2009?
Iron particles ? What event do you talk about ? Please give a link.

Thanks

Andrian said:
Hi ,first of all sorry for my english mestakes ,what i want to ask the C S if it's possible, is these questions:

I don't know what you are referring to about the Sun on September 29th, but the "red mist with iron particles" in Australia on September 24th sounds a lot like the dust storms which swept across the eastern seaboard of the continent. This had nothing to do with the Sun, but was the result of dry, windy conditions and the content of the dust which I assume was high in iron.

http://www.city-n.ru/view/130205.html ----- this is an article (in russian, sorry) about an eruption of plasma on the sun on 09.29.09

http://www.fresh-hope.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28930 ----- this link is about the red fog in Australia on 23 or 24 september 2009 (sorry when i write mist i made a mistake ).

Andrian said:
http://www.city-n.ru/view/130205.html ----- this is an article (in russian, sorry) about an eruption of plasma on the sun on 09.29.09
My guess is; The media goes silly when the sun starts(finally) doing what it should have been doing all along(I'm referring to the sunspot cycle here)
Andrian said:
http://www.fresh-hope.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28930 ----- this link is about the red fog in Australia on 23 or 24 september 2009 (sorry when i write mist i made a mistake ).
That would be the above mentioned sandstorm. :)

I checked spaceweather.com and there's nothing unusual reported... just a pitiful sunspot and some normal solar wind streaming from some normal coronal holes...

As for the red dust, that's normal in Oz when it's dry and the wind blows.

Here is the automatic translation from the article :

Russia's astronomers recorded a rare celestial phenomenon - the sun has awakened after a long period of calm and ejected into space Giant prominence.

Scientists have already stated that the release in the coming days will determine the space weather in the vicinity of several planets.

Such outbreaks occur on the sun once every few decades. But the light suddenly showed activity, despite the start of an eleven-year cycle, when our star is usually calm.

On Saturday night at the star Huge explosion. Then in the northern area of solar energy excess had been thrown into a giant of the prominence height of about one million kilometers. Several tens of billions of tons of hot plasma flew into outer space.

"These protuberances - are sufficiently cold cloud of ionized plasma with a temperature of 6-8 thousand degrees. They may be a long time to be in the solar atmosphere. If the equilibrium is disturbed, the prominences ejected into the open space", - said Vladimir Slemzin, senior research fellow X-ray astronomy of the Sun FIAN.

Plasmoid fly at great speed - up to 1000 kilometers per second. And the way to 150 million kilometers, which is shared by Sun and the Earth, they can be overcome in about two days.

Solar flares such a force could lead to disastrous consequences, despite the protection of the intrinsic magnetic field of the Earth, scientists warn. Initially, Earthlings will see the sky glow, like the Arctic. And then begin to break down all the power. Will is dead factories, refrigeration and water treatment plants. But while it is not our case. A huge solar flare, which broke away from the Sun two days ago, flew in the opposite direction from the Earth.

Still, scientists are concerned the activity of the Sun. After all, if the plasma is frozen into a powerful electromagnetic field of light, and she can leave him, breaking beset the magnetic lines. And once the size of the prominence of a million miles still looked up, then the field at some point suddenly weakened. Why? A look astronomers from the Lebedev Physical Institute behalf.

"This is a fundamental scientific astrophysical problems. They are associated with the processes of energy in the solar corona, heating it to high temperatures and the processes that affect the interplanetary space. This is a new direction, which is called space weather", - says Sergey Kuzin, Head of Laboratory X-ray astronomy of the Sun.

150 years ago the Earth experienced Carrington storm - the strongest magnetic storm, which followed a series of solar flares. Then the industry was just beginning to develop, man-made disaster has happened. But a cloud of plasma flew to Earth for 17 hours. That night became bright as day. Zashkalilo the then-available magnetometers, the telegraph broke down, and sparks flew from the apparatus. Solar storms, like this, experts predict by NASA in 2012. Scientists rely on the alarm, but it can submit only one machine, which since 1997 flying between the Earth and the Sun and at any time can lead to failure.

I've search the Net for Sergey Kuzin, there are several. The more accurate I found is this link: http://solarnews.nso.edu/2008/20080501.html

There's his email: kuzin @ sci.lebedev.ru. So I search his name in lebedev.ru (Physical Institute of the Russian Academy of Science) and, yes, several references appear. One is his web page : http://sites.lebedev.ru/kuzin/
And the page contain... solar pictures.

Ok, now the question is : had his name been put in a fake article to credible it or spaceweather.com do not report all info ?

Edit: @Andrian : can you search for more links, even russian. Thanks.

Here's some hard data - well, at least as hard as can be got.

Solar Wind - 7 Days
Mag_solar_wind_7d.gif

Magnetic Field - 7 Days
Mag_field_7d.gif

Plasma - 7 Days
Swepam_plasma_7d.gif

It's not very exciting... You can follow the events yourself via spaceweather.com or Space Weather Prediction Center. I have a summary site with whole chunks of data in one place here.

As for the Oz sandstorms - yes, they happen quite a bit during the dry times. Last week's storms were a bit unusual because of their sheer size and intensity. Plus there were two in one week. That is something like 1-in-40 year event according to the local media. You can read all about it plus more on ABC News' search results.

Damn, that's some hard data... I think I have a bruise.... :umm:

There is some spikey action on the 27th, and then some of the graphs seem to rise btwn the 28th and 29th... I'm a bit fried from work so not quite firing all gears atm...

Ellipse,sorry in russian i have found in all sites i've searched only this article about this event, i'll keep searching and if i find something i will put a link,anyway thanks to everyone for putting the interest in my question.

Andrian sent me a link to a Russian article (http://www.popmech.ru/article/1110-solntse-v-gneve/) witch is a translation of this :

Scientists Predict Big Solar Cycle

Dec. 21, 2006: Evidence is mounting: the next solar cycle is going to be a big one.

Solar cycle 24, due to peak in 2010 or 2011 "looks like its going to be one of the most intense cycles since record-keeping began almost 400 years ago," says solar physicist David Hathaway of the Marshall Space Flight Center. He and colleague Robert Wilson presented this conclusion last week at the American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco.

Right: An erupting solar prominence photographed by the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO). [More]

Their forecast is based on historical records of geomagnetic storms.

Hathaway explains: "When a gust of solar wind hits Earth's magnetic field, the impact causes the magnetic field to shake. If it shakes hard enough, we call it a geomagnetic storm." In the extreme, these storms cause power outages and make compass needles swing in the wrong direction. Auroras are a beautiful side-effect.

Hathaway and Wilson looked at records of geomagnetic activity stretching back almost 150 years and noticed something useful:. "The amount of geomagnetic activity now tells us what the solar cycle is going to be like 6 to 8 years in the future," says Hathaway. A picture is worth a thousand words:

hathaway1_strip2.jpg

In the plot, above, black curves are solar cycles; the amplitude is the sunspot number. Red curves are geomagnetic indices, specifically the Inter-hour Variability Index or IHV. "These indices are derived from magnetometer data recorded at two points on opposite sides of Earth: one in England and another in Australia. IHV data have been taken every day since 1868," says Hathaway.

Cross correlating sunspot number vs. IHV, they found that the IHV predicts the amplitude of the solar cycle 6-plus years in advance with a 94% correlation coefficient.

"We don't know why this works," says Hathaway. The underlying physics is a mystery. "But it does work."

hathaway2_med.gif

According to their analysis, the next Solar Maximum should peak around 2010 with a sunspot number of 160 plus or minus 25. This would make it one of the strongest solar cycles of the past fifty years—which is to say, one of the strongest in recorded history.

Left: Hathaway and Wilson's prediction for the amplitude of Solar Cycle 24. [More]

Astronomers have been counting sunspots since the days of Galileo, watching solar activity rise and fall every 11 years. Curiously, four of the five biggest cycles on record have come in the past 50 years. "Cycle 24 should fit right into that pattern," says Hathaway.

These results are just the latest signs pointing to a big Cycle 24. Most compelling of all, believes Hathaway, is the work of Mausumi Dikpati and colleagues at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) in Boulder, Colorado. "They have combined observations of the sun’s 'Great Conveyor Belt' with a sophisticated computer model of the sun’s inner dynamo to produce a physics-based prediction of the next solar cycle." In short, it's going to be intense. Details may be found in the Science@NASA story Solar Storm Warning.

"It all hangs together," says Hathaway. Stay tuned for solar activity.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/21dec_cycle24.htm

No mention about september 29, but interesting article.

3593_1234961422_full.jpg

Solar prominence: for comparison, the size of our planet​

On the Russian site there's this comment :
try to compare the orbital period of Jupiter and the periodicity in solar activity

I wonder how these guys find it strange the sun's effect on earth climate and do not try to explain (or understand) why this graph seems to indicate that earth geomagnetism influences solar activity :D

Well, here's an article from the 29th that might be the seed of truth behind the embellishment:

Cosmic Rays Hit Space Age High

+ Play Audio | + Download Audio | + Email to a friend | + Join mailing list

September 29, 2009: Planning a trip to Mars? Take plenty of shielding. According to sensors on NASA's ACE (Advanced Composition Explorer) spacecraft, galactic cosmic rays have just hit a Space Age high.

"In 2009, cosmic ray intensities have increased 19% beyond anything we've seen in the past 50 years," says Richard Mewaldt of Caltech. "The increase is significant, and it could mean we need to re-think how much radiation shielding astronauts take with them on deep-space missions."

Above: Energetic iron nuclei counted by the Cosmic Ray Isotope Spectrometer on NASA's ACE spacecraft reveal that cosmic ray levels have jumped 19% above the previous Space Age high. [larger image]

The cause of the surge is solar minimum, a deep lull in solar activity that began around 2007 and continues today. Researchers have long known that cosmic rays go up when solar activity goes down. Right now solar activity is as weak as it has been in modern times, setting the stage for what Mewaldt calls "a perfect storm of cosmic rays."

"We're experiencing the deepest solar minimum in nearly a century," says Dean Pesnell of the Goddard Space Flight Center, "so it is no surprise that cosmic rays are at record levels for the Space Age."

Galactic cosmic rays come from outside the solar system. They are subatomic particles--mainly protons but also some heavy nuclei--accelerated to almost light speed by distant supernova explosions. Cosmic rays cause "air showers" of secondary particles when they hit Earth's atmosphere; they pose a health hazard to astronauts; and a single cosmic ray can disable a satellite if it hits an unlucky integrated circuit.

The sun's magnetic field is our first line of defense against these highly-charged, energetic particles. The entire solar system from Mercury to Pluto and beyond is surrounded by a bubble of magnetism called "the heliosphere." It springs from the sun's inner magnetic dynamo and is inflated to gargantuan proportions by the solar wind. When a cosmic ray tries to enter the solar system, it must fight through the heliosphere's outer layers; and if it makes it inside, there is a thicket of magnetic fields waiting to scatter and deflect the intruder. (read the rest here: http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/29sep_cosmicrays.htm)

thank you to all who has respond to my question ,i'm very gratefull to all .

Back
Top Bottom