Pulse Oximeter

seek10

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Recently I got this pulse oximeter after looking at doctors office , It looks lot of doctors are using pulse oximeters. Looks pretty sensitive . My doctor took the pulse twice during the visit and asked me whether I am nervous. wondered how she knows. later I realized after talking to the nurse about this.

I was playing with this toy after eating food , while doing pipe breathing and I can see the changes in the pulse ( comes down some times more than 15 ) and when I am nervous it goes up or if I doesn't do proper breathing.
http://www.amazon.com/Finger-Pulse-Oximeter-SM-110-Carry-Wrist/dp/B003TJH3LI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

You clamp it to the finger tip , it uses 2 beams of lights 660nm glow and 940 nm near infrared light focussed on nail tip through clamping finger type sensor .

According to the manual, it uses a mathematical formula making use of lambert beer law according to spectrum absorption characterstics of reductive hemoglobin( RHb) and oxyhemoglobin (HbO2) in glow and near infrared zones.

It looks its response time is 9.1 sec and it may be using 8 beat average. One may get nervous to see the reading that can spoil the count too. I thought this interesting , as I used to measure the pulse after eating and couldn’t keep up with it on a regular basis.

I still need to understand the radition levels and how it shows the values almost every second. ( it recalculates for the last 30 sec or 1 minute ) . I Find it interesting as this gives pulse feedback effortlessly.

edit: corrected

Interesting.

From a quick glance the customer reviews of the product on the link you provided seem positive.

Back
Top Bottom