Psychopathic influence: An analysis of money, love, and sex in music

Keit

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Not long ago SOTT carried an article Toxic webs: Visualizing the evil WI-FI frequency fence cloaking the Western world that shows images done by an U.S artist Nickolay Lamm. And apparently he has another interesting project, that shows how often certain words were used in songs during the past decade. And with specific words a very interesting, though disturbing picture emerges. Here are the images. See for yourselves.

_http://thoughtcatalog.com/nickolay-lamm/2014/02/an-analysis-of-money-love-and-sex-in-music/
What if you could see, in one second, how often a certain word or phrase was used in the most popular songs of the past decades? Guess no longer. Each graph below shows how often certain words have been used for each of the most popular songs since 1960.

The horizontal axis is the year of the song and the y-axis is the song’s popularity according to Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles. Each cell represents a song. The more red a song is, the more often that particular word appears appears in the song. For example, if a song has 5 “love” words and a total of 100 words in the entire song, that song is assigned 5% and a particular shade of color.

baby.jpg

body.jpg

http://thoughtcatalog.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/boys.jpg?w=584&h=506
[/img
[img]]http://thoughtcatalog.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/foul.jpg?w=584&h=506
girls.jpg

happy.jpg

hate-kill.jpg

heart.jpg

home.jpg

i-love-you.jpg

kiss.jpg

lonely.jpg

love.jpg

money.jpg

rain2.jpg

sad.jpg

sex.jpg

sexy.jpg

smile.jpg

we-us.jpg

weed.jpg

Great find Keit, this is a strong visualisation of how society has changed. I find it interesting that in a number of the charts (hate kill, heart, love, I love you, lonely, money, sex, sexy), there is quite a noticeable difference after year 2000. Or you could say after 9/11, when the world began to morph into this dark reality that we now find ourselves in.

I think music turned sinister the moment prisons were privatized. And hip-hop (which used to be so innocent, compared to what it is now) was turned into Gansgta rap, promoting the Thug life (ie promoting criminal ways of life - drugs, pimping, gang violence etc). Compare the likes of Eric B & Rakim, RunDMC, Grandmaster Flash (& what they rapped/rhymed about) to Eminem, TuPac, Jay-Z and their lyrics. :scared:

There was this interesting article on SoTT about that genre of the music industry.

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing...

Reminds me of this quote in the bible:

As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be in the time of the Son of Man. [People] ate, they drank, they married, they were given in marriage, right up to the day when Noah went into the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all.

So also [it was the same] as it was in the days of Lot. [People] ate, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they built; But on the [very] day that Lot went out of Sodom, it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed [them] all. That is the way it will be on the day that the Son of Man is revealed.

On that day let him who is on the housetop, with his belongings in the house, not come down [and go inside] to carry them away; and likewise let him who is in the field not turn back. Remember Lot's wife! Whoever tries to preserve his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life will preserve and quicken it.

I tell you, in that night there will be two men in one bed; one will be taken and the other will be left. There will be two women grinding together; one will be taken and the other will be left. Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other will be left.

Then they asked Him, Where, Lord? He said to them, Wherever the dead body is, there will the vultures or eagles be gathered together.

~ Luke 17: 26-37

Thanks for sharing, Keit. Very good visualization of the direction society has been heading, indeed.

Back
Top Bottom