Psychopath Night - Channel 4 TV (UK)

For what it's worth, here is the UK "Independent" newspaper's brief take on it.

_http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/the-weekends-tv-psychopath-night-c4-9006318.html
The characters we encountered on Channel 4’s two-hour Psychopath Night (Sat) were much more the cynical political drama sort. After all, psychopaths, we were told, are all around us, but especially in law, sales, finance and government, where they often rise to positions of power. According to the psychologist Oliver James, the credit crunch is best understood as “a mass outbreak of corporate psychopathy”.
This infotainment show opted for a Top Ten countdown of movie psychopaths as a framing device to illustrate psychopathy and the tone veered unpredictably from jovial to chilling. Among the latter was a memorable face-to-face meeting with Charles “The Eyeball Killer” Albright, a Texan serial killer convicted of the murder of three women in 1991.
Albright is a creepy chap all right, but he fits the familiar psycho stereotype down to a T. By far the most surprising interview was with a high-powered lawyer called Emmy Thomas. Thomas is neither criminally inclined nor violent, but she’s still a diagnosed psychopath. Her parents first sent her to a therapist as a teenager, after they noticed her lack of empathy and penchant for cruel jokes. “I do feel a little bit like a misunderstood minority,” said Emmy. Indeed, and this entertainingly lurid documentary probably won’t have done much to help that.

Yes, poor "emmy". (she was wearing a blonde wig in the show, which I assume was for her safety. The poor dear.) I couldn't find much in the way of reviews, perhaps it was missed by many, or they couldn't care.

Perceval said:
Did anyone watch the show?

I've been seeing numerous YouTube vids on the psychopathology spectrum for the past few weeks & I must say, the waters are definitely muddy. The vids (also on different websites) are one thing, but the comments section on them are just ridiculous. Not only are there the usual potty-mouth arguments (as ever) there's also non-stop opining on such serious topics. Anyway, for those who missed it (the show which this thread is about) here it is : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pROu77TvZzA

I wasn't even aware of decent documentaries on psychopathy from twenty or so years ago (just watched an old channel 4 one that looked really dated picture-wise) but funnily enough, they don't show those ones; it seems that there's actually a lot of psychologists that know & study psychopathy & know the difference between that mixing it with sociopathy & psychosis. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom