Problem with Facebook posting

flashgordonv

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
For the last couple of days, every time I click on the Facebook link on a SOTT news page, the article does not come up, only the Sott.Net heading. I have been using the Object Debugger to restore the proper page description whenever I come across this issue. However, it does appear to be ongoing and every page needs to be re-scraped to make it appear properly on Facebook.

IS this something that can be fixed at the SOTT end? In the meantime, I will continue re-scraping each page I come across that is faulty

I noticed it happening recently too. I thought it might be related to FB's need for images to be 600px wide, because for all the articles I saw the images weren't big enough to show up on FB when sharing an article. So I was going in and editing the main header image and making it bigger, then re-scraping. Perhaps it's something more than that though. Maybe you can share the articles here when that happens and we can see if there's a common denominator.

It could possibly be related to network traffic response times. Their scraper only waits a short amount of time before it gives up on being able to contact the remote site.

This one for starters

https://www.sott.net/article/322454-IDF-bulldozed-a-Palestinian-home-sparks-clashes-in-West-Bank

I noticed it too with some articles. Sometimes, the day afterwards, fb would grab the whole article though.

https://www.sott.net/article/322441-Only-the-beginning-Vancouver-mans-anti-Pokemon-Go-rant-goes-viral

ANd this.

I will scrape any further ones I find though.

Gaby said:
I noticed it too with some articles. Sometimes, the day afterwards, fb would grab the whole article though.

The grabbing the next day could be because someone did a "scrape" previously. I, too, have been using the "Object Debugger" on any articles I see that only shows the title and nothing else.

I noticed it too, it would only show a text link for the Sott article. The scraper would add the image after one upload though. I've had a long streak where I haven't had to use the scraper, so I hope it resolves and is just a blip.

I am having a bit of a problem on fb and am hoping that someone can help me.

When I type a comment on someone's page, whether it's a Happy Birthday wish, or just a comment, the type gets really big. I'm not sure how it started (which was a few weeks ago), nor how to get it to post in the correct type size.

Has anyone else had a problem with this? Judging by others' posts on fb, no they/you haven't. Any way to fix it?

Nienna said:

When I type a comment on someone's page, whether it's a Happy Birthday wish, or just a comment, the type gets really big. I'm not sure how it started (which was a few weeks ago), nor how to get it to post in the correct type size.

Has anyone else had a problem with this? Judging by others' posts on fb, no they/you haven't. Any way to fix it?

I've been aware of that for a while now. I also noticed that when you type more than 35 characters, the font will resize to a normal size. I'm guessing that the larger font was done by default and intended to "stand out", I think. I personally don't like it because it looks like screaming. I still haven't figured out how to keep it down to normal size, though.

Zadius Sky said:
Nienna said:

I've been aware of that for a while now. I also noticed that when you type more than 35 characters, the font will resize to a normal size. I'm guessing that the larger font was done by default and intended to "stand out", I think. I personally don't like it because it looks like screaming. I still haven't figured out how to keep it down to normal size, though.

I just tested it a little and it looks like it only happens when you want to post plain text. If you're posting a link, a photo or a video the font size is as previously. I agree with Zadius Sky, it's probably Facebook fiddling with the backend to make sure posts stand out. It's less important when you're posting a photo because a photo attracts most of the attention. They probably decided that a plan post consisting of text only needs some help to be more visible.

Thank you both! It's nice to know it's not just me. I thought I had done something to make it type that way. The thing is, I see other people posting a happy birthday note, or something, and the type in their posts is normal. :huh:

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Ant22 said:
I just tested it a little and it looks like it only happens when you want to post plain text. If you're posting a link, a photo or a video the font size is as previously. I agree with Zadius Sky, it's probably Facebook fiddling with the backend to make sure posts stand out. It's less important when you're posting a photo because a photo attracts most of the attention. They probably decided that a plan post consisting of text only needs some help to be more visible.

That's correct, this feature is for status updates only. So if you share a link or photo, the text will not show in the large font. It's for status updates of 35 characters or less. Since writing on someone else's wall wishing them a happy birthday is not a status update, it does not show that in the larger font. As of right now, there is no way to disable this function.

Nienna said:
/snip
I see other people posting a happy birthday note, or something, and the type in their posts is normal. :huh:

I think Beau is right that the feature cannot be disabled and it's likely that 'Happy Birthday' isn't a status update. The only other explanation that comes to my mind is Facebook not rolling it out to everyone at the same time. I remember their profile layout updates in the past didn't always happen simultaneously to everyone too.

Back
Top Bottom