"Post" does not correspond to "Preview"

KC Kelly

Padawan Learner
I looked through other threads that may reflect this problem and could not find one, so here goes....

I had a problem posting earlier today which really frustrated me, so I would like to learn what happened in order to avoid this again in the future.

I was responding to an existing thread in The Swamp. For particularly long responses to posts, I use Microsoft Works so I can periodically save my work in case of a computer freeze-up or malfunction so I don't lose all that I've typed and then have to start from scratch to type it all over again. As far as I'm aware (and if I'm wrong about this, can someone direct me or inform me), there isn't a "Save Draft" option on here to save a long work of several paragraphs or many pages so that I can come back later to add or proofread or spellcheck before submitting it as a final "post". Then after my "draft" is typed up and saved in MS Works, I copy and paste the whole thing into the work area here, then Preview it, spell check, correct paragraph indentations, extra spaces between words, missing punctuation marks, etc., before drawing up enough courage to finally click on "Post".

So that's what I did this morning. After posting to the thread, I go into that thread and just double-check to make sure it looks like what it's supposed to look like; you know, the way I actually typed it, and previewed it so I don't look like an idiot afterwards. Well, after checking in the thread, to my horror at least 40 to 50% of the quote in the quote box just disappeared into the black hole of cyberspace, and I have not a clue as to why. So I recopied and pasted from the draft I saved in MS Works, Previewed again to make absolutely sure I didn't screw it up again, with the same result. Now there were 2 posts that were incomplete and I had to look like an utter moron.

So can anyone clue me in what I did wrong? I'm already hesitant enough about posting but I don't want to be a full-time lurker. I DO want to participate and contribute when possible, yet when something like this happens and I don't know why, I'm reluctant to want to post anything for fear of looking like a total imbecile who doesn't know how to accomplish the simplest of tasks--posting to an online forum. Now I'm fearful that half of THIS post is gonna disappear down some cyber-toilet.

I have used the copy and paste function in a word processor like MS Works several times before for posts on this forum with no problems like THIS, so it doesn't make sense why it wouldn't have worked THIS time.

Any suggestions, pointers, tips or instructions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks mods and techies!

Have you tried using Notepad instead? The problem might be in the transfer between Works and onto the forum. Try Notepad to see if that may be it.

Back
Top Bottom